If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

L&SWR William Adams LSWR T6 class (677-686)

Discussion in 'Photography' started by neildimmer, Jan 23, 2019.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

I have added a small collection of photos of William Adams L&SWR T6 Class 4-4-0

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/SRSteam/Isle-of-Wight-Railways/Adams-Tender-Engine-designs/LSWR-William-Adams-LSWR-T6-class-677-686/i-Fr8Ch7n

Neil

2. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Neil, there is confusion between two locos numbered 679 here. The first two photos are of A679, a GNSR 4-4-0 loco acquired second hand by the SECR, so was numbered with an A prefix at the grouping. Three of the remaining four pictures show E679 which is indeed an ex-LSWR T6 and has as such acquired an E prefix at the grouping.

Peter

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Indeed, though they weren't second hand to the SE&CR (and @neildimmer , nor is your description as "ex GNoSR" quite right either). The GNoSR ordered ten of them from Neilson's but a downturn in traffic and receipts meant they subsequently didn't require five of them; nor could they afford to buy them. So Neilson's arranged a sale to the SE&CR - thus they were never owned by the GNoSR, and they were delivered new to the SE&CR. The sale was possibly expedited by the fact that the SE&CR had ordered a batch of Kirtley 4-4-0s from Nielsons, but the workshops were flat out and work on them hadn't started; hence the SE&CR took up the offer to buy the five Pickersgill locos there and then rather than wait an uncertain amount of time for work on their own locos to start.

Incidentally, the photos of A679 show it as later reboilered with an ex-GNR boiler bought second hand by the SE&CR. So you have the interesting view of a loco designed by one pre-grouping company, purchased by a second and carrying boiler from a third. The first photo in the series is very well known; it is at Slade Green, and shows the - far from unusual for the time - combination of a loco having SR livery but still carrying the cast SE&CR ownership plate on the cab.

Tom

4. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks guys should have noticed the lack of outside cylinders on the 2 interlopers
    I have changed the collection title to LSWR 4-4-0 designs

Neil