If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Latest on 34067?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by KentYeti, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Mikem

Mikem Member

Any Updates on the latest on 34067?

Mike M. ( 70c )

2. StartedatRamsgate

StartedatRamsgate New Member

Network Rail
    I totally agree with you "original" not "unrebuilt" strange how the phrase found it's way into the railway vocabulary.

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I have been on the footplate of a Bulleid at the height of summer, and saw it as a Turkish Bath for the more discerning footplate crew, allowing them to generate a healthy dose of sweat (although do have water on you at all times, chaps, and there's no running, spitting or piddling in the shallow end)! As for rebuilt and unrebuilt, it depends on the context in which it is stated. If you say 'unrebuilt' as in an unrebuilt Bulleid, then it is intended to refer to a Bulleid that hasn't been rebuilt, and as such remains unrebuilt. Its therefore not intended to suggest that it has been unrebuilt from a rebuilt state.

Anyway, its only two weeks before her first revenue-earning run in a year...

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Disrebuilt?

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

H A V Bulleid in his book "Master Builders of Steam" comments that the "smooth external casing" had two advantages, firstly it facilitated machine cleaning of the engine: presumably it would go through a carriage washing plant along with its stock. Secondly it concealed all the external pipes around the boiler which could be run for convenience rather than appearance.
    I guess "original easyclean pacific" doesn't really do the engines justice....

6. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Any low sided tender first running in winter is hell, an S15 tender first into a blizzard has got to be experienced you have nowhere to hide from the cold im not sure which is worse though, on the footplate ,freezing winter or baking hot summer days

7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

A 2800 or 4300 is even worse than a Manor - Nice in the summer though.

8. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

If an island can be unexplored, then I guess a steam loco can be unrebuilt :wink:

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Well said. And your sin of calling 34067 'ugly' has been forgiven... ;)

10. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    Rebuilt tells us that, whatever it is, has been rebuilt which should be good enough for a rebuilt Bulleid Pacific because everybody will know is what being described. It is just not necessary to stick 'un' before rebuilt to describe a Bulleid Pacific or anything else for that matter.

The logical outcome, for those who believe the 'un' to be necessary, is to describe everything as 'unrebuilt' if it hasn't been altered. You might just as well describe your own house as unrebuilt.

'Here we have No 12 Lavender Close, which is unrebuilt and dates from 1954.'

How odd does that sound?

Meic

11. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

But by the same token has your house ever been Rebuilt into a different house? I've always known them as Unrebuilt Bulleid Pacifics I suppose we could call then As Built, As Designed, as originally intended but none trip off the tongue like Unrebuilt. Perhaps as no one can agree on their name we should just all call them "Simply the Best"

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Original??

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    It sounds fine to me to describe a house that hasn't had anything done to it since then as unrebuilt. However, as my house isn't unrebuilt, nor is it rebuilt, it has merely been modified since the 1960s (which some people say the Bulleids were, but I think that the changes were drastic enough to merit the 'rebuilt' term). As I mentioned in a previous post, context is everything in the English language.

Anyway, back to 34067...

14. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Good Point BP, my finger is itching to press buy now for the 12th.

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Yes, I could do it in a day from Swansea, now I have Saturdays off. The only thing is, I'd feel a right fool going on a Valentine's special on my lonesome, and I don't see any potential change in that situation anytime soon...

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of Mr. Bulleid's finest needs no qualification. They are Bulleid Pacifics pure and simple - not original, not unrebuilt. Of course one needs the prefix "rebuilt" (there are those who prefer the term "ruined") to describe one of Mr. Jarvises abominations.

17. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What about the term "modified" that some people use?

18. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Get a chum to dress in drag.........

19. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

you can get away with it, its the 12th not the 14th.

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Don't tempt me. When I was Treasurer of the Swansea University Real Ale and Cider Society, we went on our annual pilgrimage to Cardiff University beer festival, which was traditionally done in costume on the theme 'who I really want to be'. Naturally, I was quite happy to go by train and walk the streets of Cardiff dressed up as Brunel (to the amusement of the booking clerk, and also he deserves the respect and admiration of all railway enthusiasts regardless of creed), but a mate of mine had to go in drag. It was the most embarrassing thing I had ever witnessed, and wish not to repeat it... British University education- you just can't beat it ;) !