If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Launceston Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Charobin, Nov 30, 2011.

1. NUTSPLITTER2

NUTSPLITTER2 New Member

Note- Cornwall Council - " legal advisors in Leeds " - anybody who has had the misfortune to deal with this bunch will fully understand the meaning of "jobsworth"!

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    "Note- Cornwall Council - " legal advisors in Leeds " - anybody who has had the misfortune to deal with this bunch will fully understand the meaning of "jobsworth"!"

Yes, got the T shirt!

3. Charobin

Charobin Member

Time for an update I suppose!

Covertcoat is now back in one piece following the work to her wheelsets - although reassembly was hampered slightly when Nigel put one wheelset in the wrong way round and discovered that everything except one connecting rod would fit.... She's out on test next week so fingers crossed all goes well.

Lilian and Dorothea have had their new works plates completed ready for fitting (the plates L currently carries are the wrong style). D has had a few of the small but time consuming finishing jobs completed - namely the construction and fitting of her cab mounted whistle valve.

No real news on Velinheli or the railcar - but the plan is to crack on with the railcar once Covertcoat is fit for service.

2013 dates & fares are now on the website - we are following the opening pattern we have used for the past few years but with the addition of an extra week at Easter and in May. This season (our 30th!) should be the first where we have had all four resident Hunslets in working order - Quarry Hunslet Quadheader anyone?!

4. Charobin

Charobin Member

Just over a week to go until you can get your Cornish Quarry Hunslet fix again!

Covertcoat's test runs have been fine, and Dorothea has had a successful annual visit from the boiler inspector. Therefore with Lilian we have three Hunslets available for Easter - unfortunately Velinheli is waiting for James Evans to finish the last stages of putting her back together following her retube, but she should join the others in service in the main summer season.

Not much news otherwise - work has been focused on getting geared up for the new season and also refurbishing a small cottage next to the station for eventual use as a holiday let. A few positive meetings with Cornwall Council recently too....

5. nanstallon

Retired
    Thanks for the reminder - looking to get my narrow gauge fix to break with the misery of winter, and raise my spirits, at this friendly railway.

John

6. Charobin

Charobin Member

Trains running Sunday and next week for 'Locals Week' - where we are offering discounted fares with a coupon in the local paper, to say thank you for all the support we have had from local residents over the last 30 years. Then a few days off before we get back into the swing of things for May half-term week.

Velinheli is now back in one piece; a few small jobs remain but James hopes to have her out towards the end of Locals Week. This means we now have four Quarry Hunslets in working order - is this the most in working order anywhere? (Ignoring the FR as some don't consider Linda & Blanche as QH's)

7. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

It's quite a hike to Launceston for me, but if you're planning to run two or more of these gorgeous locos on any occasion, do give as much notice as possible...... I remember them in their natural habitat in the late 50s and early 60s. To my shame I've never visited your line, but could be persuaded!

8. nanstallon

Retired
    Don't hesitate. You won't be disappointed; very friendly atmosphere.

9. Charobin

Charobin Member

Probably only a matter of time before we have all four Hunslets out for a 'mini-gala' - watch this space!

10. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Sounds promising. Hope it's not when I'm in Italy!

11. Charobin

Charobin Member

Reversing mechanism for the railcar nearing completion. Each 'cab' has a 'reverser' (for want of a more technical term) - but there is only one (removable) reversing handle and the two ends are mechanically interlocked such that the direction can only be set at one end at a time.

[​IMG]

Once the throttle and brakes are setup at each end it will be out for a test run. Might even get finished this year....possibly!

The usual stalwarts Lilian and Covertcoat have done the most miles this month but Velinheli and Dorothea have come out to play a few times as well.

Work is also nearing completion on a holiday-let cottage next to the station - perfect for enthusiasts! We don't yet know when it will be finished and available to let, but if anyone is interested I will put details up here once it is ready (and there will, of course, be details on our website).

12. Charobin

Charobin Member

July Update:

Injectors! James Evans has been busy remachining injector cones for Velinheli; injector performance with the 'new' cones has been much improved. Consequently Dorothea (fitted with the same type injector as Velinheli) will be trialling a set of remachined cones in one of her injectors this week to see if it improves her injectors' performance. Covertcoat (different injectors to V & D) is about to be fitted with an injector kindly loaned to us by our friends at the Exmoor Steam Railway, to replace one that has become a little temperamental recently.

Lilian has just completed a 3 week stint in which she was in use nearly every day - Covertcoat and (particularly) Dorothea are really too hot for the drivers once the temperatures reach the high 20s, so the open cabbed Hunslets have been the locomotives of choice during the heatwave.

Covertcoat went out for a commemorative Mallard run at the beginning of the month. Obviously anything approaching Mallard's record speed is impossible on a Quarry Hunslet, so we ran a trip at 12.6mph!

Trains out daily except Saturdays at the moment, so progress on the railcar has been a little slow over the last month. Next month sees the 130th anniversary of Lilian's delivery to Penrhyn....

13. Charobin

Charobin Member

Happy Birthday Lilian!

On the 21st August 1883, a brand new Lilian was delivered to Penrhyn Quarry. Next Wednesday, we'll be having a mini-party to celebrate Lilian's 130th birthday; she will be in steam come rain or shine, a second Hunslet will be out to double head some of the trains and Lilian will have her own birthday cake. Not a big bash, but if you're a fan of Lilian and free next Wednesday do come along and help her celebrate her 130th!

14. 48DL

48DL Member

Happy Birthday to Lillian !
    So looking forward to my annual journey to the Kingdom of Kernow, this year we are visiting in September so I will get the chance to travel on the line :)

15. Charobin

Charobin Member

Lilian's birthday went rather well - full trains all day, a slice of birthday cake for each passenger and a rare appearance of Dorothea out for some double heading.

Still three weeks left of our main season with trains every day except Saturdays if anyone would like to come down for their Quarry Hunslet fix. Things are a little quieter now the kids are back at school! We are also running for the half term week at the end of October too.

Finally, we will be running Boxing Day for our 30th birthday and, tentatively, will have all four Hunslets in steam - so keep your diary free if that sort of thing is of interest.... ;)

16. 48DL

48DL Member

Had my fix on Tuesday, including a footplate ride on Velinheli. many many thanks James, and thank you to the gent who let me into the yard so I could take a picture of the loco's on shed.
    This is a super little railway....

17. Charobin

Charobin Member

All quiet in Cornwall as Lilian & co have a few weeks off now.

However, if you're starting to think about next year's holiday, you can now book a stay in our holiday cottage - right next to the platform and comes with free train rides! See here for details.

18. Charobin

Charobin Member

Trains running again from Sunday for the local half term week - judging by recent weather it will probably be a Covertcoat and Dorothea week! We're repeating the locals week offer from earlier this year in the local paper - so if you pick up a copy of the Cornish & Devon Post before visiting you can travel for £5 adults or £2.50 children.

Having made new worksplates for Dorothea to replace the long lost originals, one of the original plates was remarkably found by a gentleman clearing a garage in South Wales this summer. The original plate should be on display over the week alongside some of the parts of Dorothea which were too far gone to use in her restoration.

19. Charobin

Charobin Member

Following the completion of wiring and air brakes, the railcar has been out on test recently...

Richieboy and AndrewT like this.
  20. Charobin

Charobin Member

Trains will be running on Boxing Day and most days between Boxing Day and New Year to celebrate our 30th Birthday. Full dates & times will be up on our website some point over the weekend. If you fancy a post-Christmas detox come for a chuff up the Kensey Valley!

Two Hunslets (Covertcoat and Dorothea) have been in steam this week for their final visit from our retiring boiler inspector. Both Velinheli and Lilian are winterised.

With quite a few WW1 American bogies on site, there is talk of building a replica Pershing wagon (or two) next year - provided there is time amongst all the other jobs which need doing....