If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Launceston Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Charobin, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Charobin

Charobin Member

Just in time for half term week we now have copies of our updated and extended DVD in stock. £9.95 in the shop, or phone and we can mail order for £10.95 including P&P. 64 minutes long, features new bits of Dorothea plus Lyd's visit.

2. Charobin

Charobin Member

The four Hunslets are now tucked up in their sheds for the winter and will be out again next March. Next year's opening dates are as follows:

March 29th - April 3rd
    April 5th-10th
    May 17th-22nd
    May 24th - 29th
    June: Sundays, Mondays & Tuesdays
    1st July - 25th Sept, Daily except Saturdays
    October 25th - 30th

3. Charobin

Charobin Member

Introducing the Bowman Tree Chopper 2k14...

[​IMG]

We'll be clearing a lot of the younger trees and coppices along the lineside this winter to open up the views of the valley. The new attachment we have made for our JCB mini digger will grab and chop smaller trees, making the clearance work much easier. Video of it in action soon - all good railways should have one!

Chris86 and Martin Perry like this.
  4. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

That would make an excellent tool for relocating photographers who stray too close to the running line at galas.............;)

Chris

Martin Perry likes this.
  5. Charobin

Charobin Member

Cornwall Council are holding a public meeting next Tuesday to discuss the failure of their 'TRAC Project'. Those who follow the LSR will know the project was first proposed in 2009 to build a new multi use trail (a.k.a. cycle trail) from Launceston to Egloskerry and extend the LSR alongside to Egloskerry; by 2012 the Council had changed the proposals to block the extension of the railway and funding for the whole project was subsequently withdrawn by the funding body.

The meeting is at 6pm, Tuesday 18th at Launceston Town Hall, feel free to come along to hear what the Council has to say for itself if you wish!

6. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought that the council had been reopening discussions and talking more sensibly so that the original scheme might be saved. It is disappointing to learn that the project has failed.

I would like to come but lack of transport, and it being quite hard to get public transport back home late in the evening, rules it out. It would be interesting if somebody could report on what happens.

John

7. Charobin

Charobin Member

I suppose Councils move in mysterious ways, their wonders to perform. The project is dead under the moniker of 'The TRAC Project', so any revival by County or another party would probably be on a same project, different name basis. I suggest calling it the 'Back on TRAC Project' if it is revived!

Certainly the relationship between LSR and CC has improved from what it was. We would like to see the original scheme for a railway extension plus off road trail happen if possible, no firm plans at present but hopefully it is a matter of 'watch this space' - there is still a large amount of local support for the idea.

8. Charobin

Charobin Member

nanstallon likes this.
  9. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Thanks for that. It's a sorry tale, but one which needs to be told if only to warn about how apparently commonsense projects can be messed up by bureaucrats and poor communication.

John

10. Charobin

Charobin Member

11. Charobin

Charobin Member

The Dinorwic Yellow (Royal) Coach and slab wagons formerly at the Devon Railway Centre arrived at the end of last week. They will be on display in our museum next season. Photos on our Facebook and Twitter, plus on our website when I get around to uploading them! Thanks to Peter Nicholson for placing them on loan to us.

12. Charobin

Charobin Member

Minffordd crossover arrived in Launceston on Monday ready for its third life (having started life on the Penrhyn Railway). One of the points will be going in at the throat of Launceston station, possibly before we reopen, allowing the point currently there to replace a nearly life expired point at the other end of the station. As these were the last bullhead points in use on the FR mainline, are we now the only UK narrow gauge line with bullhead points in main line use? (We already have a set laid at Newmills).

13. Charobin

Charobin Member

[​IMG]
    One half of Minffordd crossover now in place. Full series of pics of the point going in on our website & Facebook.

14. Charobin

Charobin Member

[​IMG]

Lilian tries out the new points for size. Come and ride over them yourself from the 29th!

Bertie Lissie and Martin Perry like this.
  15. Charobin

Charobin Member

It's fifty years ago today since Velinheli was bought from Dinorwic by the Evans family - so she had a tea party to celebrate! Lilian also joined in the fun as she celebrates 50 years of preservation later on in the year.

Trains will be running again from this Sunday.

[​IMG][​IMG]

ilvaporista likes this.
  16. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    I hope you had a great celebratory day yesterday. Your locos look really sharp. Sadly, though I visit Launceston from time to time - the shrine on the hill - I never have gotten to see your railroad. Maybe before my time is up I will make it. ;)

17. Charobin

Charobin Member

It's not far down the hill - and there's always tea in the pot!

18. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Are there any plans for two of your fantastic locos to be working the same day during your peak season? It's quite a hike from Hampshire and I'd like to time my visit for such a day, if it exists! Thanks.

19. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Sorry for thread highjack, but over weekend of 11th/12th July we will have three quarry Hunslets in steam at the WHHR in Porthmadog. STATFOLD, JACK LANE and BRITOMART.

20. Charobin

Charobin Member

Short answer yes.

Longer answer - loco rostering at the LSR is a little different to other railways. Lilian and Covertcoat are the main engines, we only really need one per day and the decision which one is often made by looking at the sky at lighting up time! Velinheli is used whenever her owner would like to come and 'play trains', around once a week, and she does a mix of days through the season of running the whole day solo and running alongside another Hunslet. Dorothea comes out whenever her owner has the time, again around once a week, and she tends to only do days when there is another Hunslet out to run some of the trains. So as you can appreciate it is all a bit pot luck and tends not to be planned that much in advance!

However, if we know a few days in advance, and someone remembers to tell me, two locos in steam often get flagged up on our Facebook and Twitter (and you don't need an account with either of those to see our pages). Alternatively, if you have a particular few days or a week you might visit, a good old fashioned phone call will often be able to get some information about any possible two Hunslet days, especially if you ask about Dorothea as, as I said, she tends to work on 2 engine days.

One day we will finally get around to having all four out on the same day and that will be advertised in advance. Just need a good excuse to do it....