If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

List the top five

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Reading General, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't suppose many people on here are commenting from the point of an average family as we are in some way involved in the hobby, I can however give you my 7 year old daughters favourites, as far as I am aware;

Perrygrove Railway, Coleford, Forest of Dean - a perfect combination of a fun small train, not too long a ride, but plenty of interest and activities for small people. Good cafe and toilets, friendly staff.

Llangollen Railway - hardly surprising as she has lived in earshot of it all her life and would ride everyday if I let her!

West Somerset - holiday line, associates it with all those good seaside things.

Dean Forest Railway - gentle ride, nice place, near Grans house!

Great Orme Tramway - spectacular for kids, especially when a cable car ride is involved too. Ice creams and playground at summit.

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I have only visited once over 5 years ago so therefore did not consider. Great line and a far better experience than the Lakeside and Haverthwaite.

3. 84A

84A New Member

1. Severn Valley Railway
    2. GWSR
    3. WSR
    4. Ffestiniog
    5. GCR

These are purely based on visitor experience - many lines I haven't visited and so haven't appeared. The ordering is almost irrelevant, other than the SVR which is my favourite purely by virtue (and good fortune) of being located only 15 miles from my home! I am also a fan of the Churnet Valley, but haven't been back there in the last year or so due to work.

The Foxfield would most likely have appeared, but having been asked to pay £15 to watch a loco shunt at the colliery at a recent gala left enough of a bad taste that I haven't been back (and likely wont visit again).

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  4. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

A great variety of locos, mostly lovely stations, lots to see. Just a shame you can't see much from the train! Not really a fan of cuttings.

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    1. Severn Valley - GWR / BR(W) Heaven!
    2. Churnet Valley - Wonderful scenery alongside the canal/river, with the steep gradients to Cauldon added in as well. Roll on the day we get to Leek!
    3. Talyllyn - Scenery again, with a great bunch of guys/girls more than happy to help.
    4. Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch - Main line in miniature!
    5. Keighley & Worth Valley - Something to do at every station pretty much, no matter what the weather. A good day out can be had by most visitors.

Welshpool/WHR/West Somerset also come close, but the 5 above are my preferred destinations.

ellisteph12 likes this.
  6. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I agree and would add not really a fan the overgrown embankments approaching Butts.

7. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

I like the MHR, and have been there more than the IOW and Bluebell which are in my top 5. There is some stiff competition in the South!

If I were asked to give constructive criticism (apart from the cuttings), it would be a) not a lot to see / do while waiting at Alton and b) I don't remember seeing anything aimed at keeping young kids amused (compare with SVR's play area at the Engine House and Coalyard Railway at Kidderminster for example).

8. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Ah the GCR, aka 'The Pylon Line'. The big selling point is the double track running, but I guess that's more important to the enthusiast / linesider than Joe Public on his first time visit with his family.

9. Drysdale

Drysdale Guest

For what it is worth my top 5 would be (in no particular order); Bluebell, Mid Hants., NYMR., SVR., KWVR,
    also with honorable mentions to the North Norfolk,PDSR, WSR, GCR. and MNR

I have not listed centres such as Didcot because I have tried to include all criteria including scenery which a rail centre just cannot do.

I have also tried to look at the list from a layman's point of view not just that of an enthusiast.

10. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I find the GCR's almost total no-show in this thread a surprise, to be honest. Not the best scenery, granted, though it has its moments, and there is nothing really to beat sitting at Quorn on a gala day just watching an endless stream of trains up and down. Some older rolling stock would be nice (we do have two teak Gresleys in traffic with a third now under restoration, so we'll get there one day!). But as a volunteer there I'm biassed, so I'm not including it in my list.

1. Pressnitztalbahn (Johstadt). It's hard to imagine a more perfect little railway.
    2. Severn Valley
    3. Bluebell
    4. KESR
    5. Welshpool & Llanfair

Honourable mentions to the Llangollen & Ffestiniog, and I suspect the South Devon and KWVR would make my list if I'd been to either, but I haven't.

Funnily enough we took our little one on the Ravenglass & Eskdale only last week. A pleasant enough little line, but not a lot to do or see besides the train. The watermill in Boot is well worth visiting though.

11. Footbridge

Footbridge Member

Impossible to list IMO as they all offer different things, and anyway I've not visited all of them so maybe I would be missing a great place.

I do tend to look on the Tripadvisor web site whenever I am planning a visit somewhere. That gives a good indication of what people like or dislike.

12. Learner

Learner New Member

My top five would be
    Severn Valley
    Ffestiniog
    Welshpool & Llanfair
    North Yorkshire Moors
    South Devon Railway

The Bluebell would be the nearest to knocking one of those off, with the North Norfolk not far off. These are the railways that offer the closest to a 'complete' experience for me.
    Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro1_273 using Tapatalk

13. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    My top five:
    1. North Norfolk (though I might be more than a little biased)
    2. Severn Valley - has always felt like a 'real railway' to me
    3. West Somerset - great scenery, efficient railway, friendly people
    4. Paignton & Dartmouth - 'does what it says on the tin' very efficiently through some great scenery
    5. North Yorkshire Moors

Runners up - Harzquerbahn, Train á Vapeur de Cevennes, Lakeside & Haverthwaite

14. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The OP said from a non-enthusiast point of view ( don't like the term Joe Public much!) so in "no particular order" as they say on the dancing programme:-
    -NYMR: Provided you go through to Whitby for the best fish and chips!

-SVR : Once in the Severn Valley proper, Bewdley for the riverside town, Arley for the Arboretum ( if you can do steep hills) Highley for the Engine House, and Bridgnorth for the town over the high bridge from the station. Bridgnorth station itself is a disappointment and crying out for its share issue development. Pre-Nationalisation coaching stock a bonus.(Admission of bias, as an SVR member....)

-West Somerset: for Minehead and a lovely traditional seaside.

-K&ESR and Bluebell: K& ESR has the attractive town of Tenterden at one end, Bodiam Castle at the other. Real Col. Stevens branchline feel particularly if some of the older stock is out. Bluebell has pre-nat coaching stock and engines to match. Sheffield Park gardens at one end, East Grinstead at the other. My personal choice would be the K&ESR.

- NRM York. Tourist city. The NRM is a great venue if the weather is poor.

-Best "up and coming" Heritage line? Has to be the Glos-Warks, particularly when they get to Broadway.

Also an honourable mention for the tramway experience, Crich/Seaton/Beamish/Heaton Park/Carlton Colville.

Finally, bearing in mind we are talking about the non-enthusiast family, you start with three basics: Good car-parking, value for money food and drink, and decent toilets. Beyond that, the so-called "visitor experience", and in that respect it helps if there are things to do/places to go, rather than just an out and back train journey.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  15. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

How about:

- South Bedfordshire Railway
    -Cheltenham to Kingham Railway
    -Meon Valley Railway

No?...:rolleyes:

16. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    and the North Western Railway???:D

17. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Sn&ilbeach is in my top 6.

lil Bear and Jamessquared like this.
  18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Did someone mention Sn&ilbe%ch?

[​IMG]

Nee-nor-nee-nor!

Tom

ianh likes this.
  19. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Just been looking at snailbeach, clearly steeped in NatPres folklore, does it have its own thread, just seen passing reference to it in other such ridiculous (presumably) schemes such as the Luton siding.

Can't find this one at all, every time I search I get everything on the LNWR as well!

20. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I actually just remember the Cheltenham Kingham Railway and it would definitely qualify as one of the best heritage railways we never had. If it had survived it would have prospered as a heritage line but in the early 1960s of course few could foresee what "train spotters'" ambitions would do for the benefit of tourism and local economies. It would have been one awesome heritage line but it was not to be.
    Edited to add that it would have meant that the GWSR would not probably have happened!