If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llangollen Railway Branchline Gala 12th-14th April 2024

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 12CVST, Feb 21, 2024.

1. 12CVST

12CVST New Member

Initial details of our first big event of 2024, the 12th-14th April Branchline Gala, are now available. Poster and thread is on our Unofficial LR Facebook page for those who use FB.

Our MPD team are working very hard to have 4 steam locos available for the first time for a number of years. The line-up should be:

LR Trust-owned GWR 57xx No 7754, which will be formally rededicated to traffic at the event.
    GWR heavy freight 2-8-0 No 3802, in public operation for the first time in over 2 years.
    Kitson 0-6-0 Austin 1 hauling a brake van train.
    Austerity Robert / "68067", operating her last trains with us before heading off for hire to another railway.

Austin 1 was lifted on 24th Feb and had her new driving axle crown brass fitted, ready for her to take part. This has been made in-house by our machine shop team, an incredible achievement given where we started from in the summer of 2021. Both lifts used our Cowans Sheldon crane. which we were able to save from scrapping after the PLC auction thanks to donations from supporters, many of whom I know frequent this forum. Thank you!

BRCW Sulzer Type 2 (Class 26) diesel 5310 is working with 68067 top-and-tail on a Glyndyfrdwy-Corwen shuttle. This avoids run-rounds taking place at Glyn, which can be a bit problematic and hold up a busy TT and at Corwen, so the focus can be on watering the Austerity. We'll be sorry to see 68067 go in the Spring, she's been a little cracker.

A railcar diagram will also feature, which will be either recently restored Class 127/108 hybrid or the 108, which has recently received fully refurbished seating. The Type 2 and DMUs are all green.

As well as our usual excellent catering at Llangollen station, the team at Glyndyfrdwy Station will be opening the station café and Porters Bar. Berwyn station cafe will also be open on the weekend.

Obviously, this ambitious line-up (for us at Llan anyway!) is subject to the usual caveats around availability. The timetable will be confirmed closer to the time and advance tickets will then be available on the railway's website.

Please be patient with us on this - we are all working very hard to put on a great gala for everyone and still finding our feet with big events

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  2. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I live 17 miles from Llan, and this will be my first visit in 2 years. I'll be there on the Friday. Should be fun!

3. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Corwen opening event was a great weekend, but this promises to be something event grander. Excited to see what it brings; a brake van ride through Berwyn tunnel will be something quite special indeed (assuming of course that they are timetable to run through it.)

JBTEvans likes this.
  4. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I know how much this question annoys people, but when will the timetable for this event be available to download?

5. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Timetable's up.

6. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

I notice the link on the event page says 'Friday & Saturday timetable' but not Snday, when you click it it makes no mention of specific days, can anyone confirm if this timetable is the same for all three days?

Cheers,

7. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

They're not using the 26 on the Sunday. That's all I know.

8. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Will be the same timetable all 3 days.

kieranhardy likes this.
  9. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
  10. 12CVST

12CVST New Member

Is that a canoe? Or are you just pleased to see 7754 and 3802 double-headed?

5944 likes this.
  11. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Looking at the flooding stories on the news at lunchtime could be a valid comment:eek:

12. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer
    The Dee is a fantastic canoeing and kayaking river.

The run from chain bridge to Llangollen was a firm favourite of mine when I kayaked regularly

Chris

13. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Oh I agree, it's just the fact that it's listed as an option on a gala weekend that tickled me.

14. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Does the Llangollen Railway serve beer on draught anywhere? Is the Porter's Bar that tiny one in Glyndyfrdwy?

15. RA & FC

The Porters bar at Glyn is now in the southern van body next to the station building. Bottled beers available there, on set A and in Llan cafe. Sadly we don’t serve draught anywhere at the moment.

7822WelshSteam likes this.
  16. Clive Hanley

Clive Hanley Member

Accountant
    Is the replica J94 68067 going to be running all weekend bunker first? Is it not possible to swap the diesel to the other end or is that the only way to run for watering at Corwen?

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

Is there any indication what times Austin No.1 will be running it's brake van trips? Additionally, in the Corwen Station group on Facebook, it's stated that there will be three extra trains running on Friday and Saturday departing Llan to Berwyn and Glyndyfrdwy only at 18:45, 20:10 and 21:40, is there any indication as to the motive power for these trips?
    Thanks in advance

18. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Really? Why wouldn't that be in the timetable?

19. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

The WTT I've got does indeed indicate three evening trips to Glyndyfrdwy on Friday and Saturday which are DMU worked. Not sure why they aren't on the website and possibly one to ask on the official channels.

I think Austin 1's trips are 'as required' between trains at Llangollen, although it does work one trip to Berwyn (replacing the 26) departing Llangollen at 16.30 (with the Austerity on the back for the return working.)

20. RA & FC

It will be on the front of the class 26 for the first working to corwen, then will run round onto the back. For the rest of the shuttles. You’ve got it though. Done that way for watering. That service is top and tailed to match up with the dmu from Llan to Glyn. Otherwise things would take longer with run rounds, and we wouldn’t get quite such an intensive service.

MattA likes this.