If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llangollen shed newsy news

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Broomhalla, Mar 31, 2008.

1. 14xx Lover

14xx Lover New Member

Postman, Passed Cleaner on SVR
    She looks BLING BLING =D> =D> =D>

2. dhic001

dhic001 Member

What do you call the Dukedog then? It s a pity 5199 couldn't have been in GWR liver to match the Dukedog, but beggers can't be choosers I guess. Will be interesting to see how she is liked, Bluebell crews are well used to dealing with tank engines designed for fast stopping work.
    Daniel

3. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I said i was joking. I'm just excited that she'll be running on the Bluebell soon. She really is a lovely engine. Something with a nice copper cap to show you how nice western engines can be. The dukedog is also a lovely engine as are all 4-4-0 GWR tender engines of the double frame kind that survive but 5199 is a much larger beast and i do hope you lot down on the Bluebell look after her as it's always nice to see a engine like her in the kind of condition she's in at the moment.
    Please let me know when she arrives by the way and if anyone can please post a picture.

4. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No pictures on the Bluebell website as yet, but she has already been added to the loco roster.

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    She isn't meant to arrive till Thursday morning. Gauging run late thursday or early friday IIRC then works a Fish & Chip Special or something friday evening.

6. Broomhalla

Attention official announcement:
    The 4F will be staying till the end of the year or there abouts. It will be going to the GWR for a gala at some point but other than that it will be staying on the Llangollen Railway.

In other news the Stanier mogul today left us as it has to go home to the SVR. Also the narrow gauge coach chassis has moved into the shed what led to a mini clean up of the parking area and four new spaces being added. Hopefully it will make parking easier for us volunteers and staff.

Auto sandwich tomorrow and the 38 was on driver experience today. Pictures below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Broomhalla

It is with a sad heart that i say that this will be my last Llangollen shed newsy news piece since my work placement has now ended and will no longer be able to be down at the shed on a daily basis. But it doesn't mean that i won't keep on updating it with information from when I'm there as part of the Grange group.

So for my final regular update i bring you this:
    [​IMG]
    We had a visit from the Railmotor trailing coach today so naturally i had a nosey round it.
    [​IMG]
    Those tram seats that they got from Oz
    [​IMG]
    Railmotor bit's and bobs.
    [​IMG]
    Another coach job are skilled staff are doing for someone. Can't remember where this coach chassis is meant to be going to but i think it's narrow gauge or something like that.
    [​IMG]
    One of are boiler smiths Ian Massey works tirelessly on 2807's boiler
    [​IMG]
    Taken atop of 2807's boiler of the boiler shop
    [​IMG]
    Auto sandwiches are the name of the game this week.

8. millhouse27

millhouse27 Member

Awwwww, bless. RIP Llangollen shed newsy news?

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Thanks for the news. I believe the underframe is for a replica Ashbury coach, being built at the WHR(P).

Chris

10. Broomhalla

It's back, well not really but i thought i shouldn't start a new topic every time something happens up at Llangollen shed.

Now just a small update but here goes.
    The wheel set off Small Prairie 5539 has returned from wherever they went off to.
    [​IMG]
    Work continues with the Railmotor
    [​IMG]

And Jennifer has had her first tentative steaming.
    [​IMG]

At the moment we seem to have been taken over by industrials since we now have five in the shed. Desmond is now looking very respectable in red oxide primer and has been properly stripped down and is sitting on a truck in the shed. He's also over a hundred years old since he was built before the turn of the last century. Work continues to restore it to running order.

11. Broomhalla

Another update, another set of pictures:
    [​IMG]
    Big or small any engine is welcome in the llangollen shed and i have yet to find out just what this one is doing here but it is more than welcome.

Railmotor Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    The watertank, on trolley, ready for fitting to the chassis.

[​IMG]
    Insert one engine. More evidence of the tireless efforts and hard graft of the Llangollen Railways paid staff.

And finally, here's what me and Lil Bear got up to today.
    [​IMG]

12. The little loco is from eaton hall and is owned by the duke of westminster i think its kaitie and she is a replica heywood loco built for the duke (in the past ) for the estate line at eaton hall this is truely a minimum gauge narrow gauge loco

13. Broomhalla

Another Railmotor update:

The below picture shows the railmotor reunited with it's overhauled trailing bogie
    [​IMG]

14. MEJ

MEJ New Member

15. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Breaking news:

All of the boilersmiths in Llangollen MPD have been on crash diets, so they will fit into the firebox and smokebox of 'Katie' for it's retubing.The previous four boilers in the shops have been from black fives or 28/38xx's When it arrived, one comment was:

"how far away is that"...

16. MEJ

MEJ New Member

No more Hazel breakfasts for anyone until the boilersmiths are thin enough to fit in the firebox! I can think of one person who would fit but shall remain un-named...! :-# =D>

17. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is not the Duke a surportor of the railway? So are his engine's repairs being done by someone he trusts?

18. Having met the duke and his staff on a number of occasions i will say it will be the eaton hall estates decision on where the locomotive goes his lordship takes a interest but does not make such desisions the desision will of come down to the estate manager

19. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    For anybody at Llangollen MPD this week keep an eye out for Mike and Mike, 2 volunteers from the Gwili who are on work expereince with you. Here's hoping you can teach them a thing or 2!

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    AFAIK the Duke isn't a supporter, Llangollen Rly though has supplied volunteers to Eaton Hall for open days, where in return the Duke has made a donation to the railway as a thank you. One such donation has helped complete the work on Berwyn station IIRC, which we are very grateful for.

I'd guess the fact that Katie has come to Llangollen is purely we were able to offer the skills required to complete the work needed and we are fairly close to the Hall aswell.