If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Hughes Crab 42859

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by SpudUk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Miff

Miff Well-Known Member

It’s actually surprising how few SG locomotives are in locations unknown to the public - generally we seem to expect to know where they all are, even though we have no right to.

2. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Member

Librarian
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hopefully one day the parts to form the rolling chassis will be re-united. What's needed is the establishment of dialogue with Jim Arkell first, and the establishment of somewhere where the parts can be stored or worked on - We all know space is at a premium, but surely there must be room for this locomotive on a railway somewhere? If the parts to restore the rolling chassis for locomotive and tender survive, I'd be more than happy to donate towards a new boiler if the opportunity arose.

Richard.

andalfi1 likes this.
  3. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Esmond hoodwinked everyone for years including the BRB. The 01 was a lost cause and much lamented. Only the persistent diplomacy of a few individuals (one I knew very well) managed to persuade him to relinquish his secrets and release the 01 to the Bluebell where thankfully it is now splendidly restored. Not many secrets out there but there are a few no doubt.

I don't honestly know whether it still exists and I suspect nobody will for a long time at least. However it is very possible that there is a farmyard, barn or warehouse out there with some large lumps of rusty metal that are stamped 42859.

Richard Roper likes this.
  4. 43729

43729 New Member

The tender was definitely scrapped. The scrap yard told me to my face when I pottered in and tried to buy it. My searches were after the article published in steam railway. At that time there was a chassis and the bits of the boiler mentioned.

As I say I can't prove what isn't there.

I can say that i found the o1 when that was missing.

5. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Even if various bits still exist, their value is precisely what the scrap man would give for them. As far as the railways capable of rebuilding it, I doubt they would be interested if it was free.

6. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    At the time the 01 was missing it was quite common knowledge that the various parts of it were scattered between Kent and Cambridgeshire, as there was a high court judgement on it for rent arrears from the ill fated Ashford steam centre a 4DD unit was broken up on site as part payment, the biggest problem came trying to get Esmond Lewis to let it go to the bluebell railway for restoration, which he did, I believe and I stand to be corrected on this, one of the conditions it went to the Bluebell was that it never left the Railway when restored, Jamessquard will more than likely know if this is true or not.

7. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

I think one of his stipulations was that it should visit KESR (and possibly EKR too?) - as it’s already done... If you’re talking about permanently leaving I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there are conditions about not selling it on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk