If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Patriot Project Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Gav106, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Don't let the barstewards grind you down. You're doing a fine job and it's always nice to chat to you guys when our sales stalls cross paths. You'll always get those who knock your endeavours and think they know best but what these non entities never do is dig deep in their pockets nor don their overalls to help move the project along. Satisfaction comes when she steams and you can stick your fingers up at all those who told you you'd got it wrong. See you at the GCR. Hopefully not quite as cold as last year. :)

2. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

You can be rest assured that the majority of us enthusiasts are right behind you and your project all the way, its just that some people just want to come along and stamp on someone's good hard work, criticising it and acting they know better, and generally dampen people's spirit with their cynical (and not at all very truthful) words.

Keep up the good work Gav, you and your team are an inspiration to us all, and you shouldn't have to deal with these unfounded and (as you so rightly put it) just plain rubbish comments. I for one look forward to seeing the Unknown Warrior completed, and may I also add that the engine look brilliant in those picture, with it's fine driving wheels and smokebox... Definitely looks the part, a fine looking rolling chassis!

3. gios

gios Member

Gav106. Take no notice of the small number of doubters and cynics. Your group have my, and I am sure many others, wholehearted support for your vision, time, effort and progress. It appears that a small part of modern society requires disparaging comments to be made about those who take on noble and difficult challenges. 120 new members over a weekend can't be wrong, and they tell you everything you need to know about support. Stick with it, and know we are not too far behind.

I only wish our group could attract 120 new members in two days - now there's a challenge !

4. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    My previous posting seems to have aroused quite a bit of comment on the subject. I thought that I had chosen my words carefully; they were certainly not aimed at any organisation but I do think that it was valid comment. Someone always has to pay and any organisation should be expecting a return on its outgoings, even if, sometimes, it is a gamble. I'm sure that Squires must consider it a worthwhile expenditure to sponsor it each year. From the loco groups perspective, to have such sponsorship is something that they shouldn't, couldn't, turn down, nor could the exhibition organisers.

As for manning a stand, I couldn't agree more that it is no easy day out; not if it is being done properly. Those that think it is either haven't done it or haven't done it properly.

6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed. The Patriot Project will gain more from the hard work of appearing at the NEC than we will probably ever know. Such impressions are not always instantly translated into financial support but the fact that the project gained so many new members over the weekend is indisputable. I'll repeat what I wrote earlier: 45551's appearance was the main reason I went to the Warley NEC. It was well worth it!

As Buseng rightly points out, there appears to be a denigrating streak in certain posts - I was always advised to pay no attention to such oxygen thieves.

7. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Don't make Louis Pole's problems your problem! I was exhibiting at Warley and had a grandstand view of the Patriot team, they worked their collective butt off and pressed as much flesh as possible. Having been in exactly the same position some years ago I know how hard it is to keep smiling and answering damn fool questions all day, I sure it will have been more than worth it. My advice to the team is just to keep doing what you're doing, s*d the critics and prove them wrong! ;)

Foxy

8. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Well at least the criticism seems to be in the absolute minority, please keep up the good work and your updates are really appreciated Gav106... again, please keep them coming!

As for going to Warley; Rail enthusiasts and modellers are an eclectic bunch, the core methods of reaching them are through the printed press and the internet. Many of those attending Warley may not have access to the internet and consequently rely on the railway press for details on the project, consequently they might have had little idea of how far the project had progressed. By showing the brilliant progress made on the patriot (afterall it does now clearly resemble one!) the group has clearly shown to an wide audience that they are a serious, well organised group progressing well.

The Patriot group have reached and arguably surpassed the high standard of engineering, fundraising and public awareness that A1SLT achieved. To achieve this must have been difficult but attending events such as Warley is vital to raising the funds necessary so I believe they should be congratulated for spending a little to gain a lot.

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not forgetting where (and when) 45551 stopped on it's way to NEC...
    If anyone can say visiting a major site of this nature was neither important, relevant or poignant as well as supporting it's Patron organisation is not worthy should be ashamed, indeed should even consider his patriotism..

I suggest he does his research before posting again, and consider an apology, hang head in shame and pull out his wallet as penance.

10. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Hear, hear! Since the project raised a five figure sum attending Warley and garnered masses of column inches in various magazines I have no doubt he decision to go was a good one. All of us who had family serve in the conflicts of the last century were delighted to see the loco at the National Arboretum Memorial and although my antecedents (two grand-fathers and a great uncle who all fought 1914-18) were lucky enough to survive WW1 I am sure that, like many, they only did so through the courage and sacrifice of those who lost their lives.

Foxy

11. 17B

17B New Member

Ignore them, looks great, you can't buy publicity like that.

12. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Gav106: Just out of interest have your publicity people ever considered approaching OPC, or Haynes as I think they are now, re a further run of the 1997 "Power of the Patriots" book? Maybe it only had a short print run in the first place, but it does appear expensive to buy secondhand. Currently the going rate on the internet is around £30 plus shipping.
    Managed to pick up a copy recently at a reasonable cost, and it is indeed an excellent book.

13. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Thankyou every one for your kind comments about our project. We really are trying as hard as possible to get her complete for 2017.

With regards to a re print of "power of the patriots" I think its a great idea and could be a very good seller as there is a real interest in the locomotive now. Ill put it to our sales team (which is what im mainly involved in) and see if we can get it done.

I have to say I have some cracking items to come onto our sales lines over then next 5 years.
    Including the excellent dvd from Oakwood visuals which I believe will be the most comprehensive dvd ever made on how to build a locomotive. I keep saying that because our chairman is David Bradshaw we should call the dvd "Bradshaws guide to building a locomotive"

14. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking forward to the new sales items appearing Gav! I'll keep giving a tenner a month (it's all I can afford at the moment unfortunately), but will be buying merchandise as well. This is a project I'd love to see completed, especially as it isn't going to be reliant on significant parts of the Barry 10. It's also being associated with a very worthy and fitting cause, which can only benefit the Royal British Legion, and serve as a reminder of those who were lost in their millions fighting to protect our country - many fighting a war which is now all but outside living memory.

Richard.

15. louis.pole

louis.pole New Member

To use a wartime phrase "Somewhere in England"
    If I may now step back inside from the naughty step; I should remind you that the Royal British Legion also supports those and the families of those currently serving in our military forces - An organisation that I continue to support directly and not via this project.

16. Jordan-Leeds

Jordan-Leeds New Member

Mr Pole I have taken the liberty of sending you a private message. I understand some of your detractions but I hope you are willing to accept the kind offer extended to you.

17. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I think you'll actually find that this project aims to support and remember the men and women of our British forces of today as well, along with with all other lives lost in previous wars, you'd recognise that fact if you clearly read the projects objectives. Here it is: "The new locomotive will serve as a permanent memorial to all those who fought and died in the First World War and all subsequent wars."

Like the Royal British Legion, the Patriot project and, ultimately by extension, The Unknown Warrior itself, will be a dedicated force to support those, and the families of those, currently serving in our military forces, and just as importantly, serve as a memorial to those who have lost their lives in the most recent of conflicts, as well as the live of long past conflicts. All are equally important and should be treated as such, which is why this engine is a in dedication of the miltary forces of today, not just the past, recent or distant.

And if I may be so bold Mr. Pole, if I did not know better, I'd say, judging by your previous remarks and now this comment, that you do not seem to show all that much support (or indeed agreement) with the Royal British Legion's decision to endorse the "The Unknown Warrior" Patriot project...

ragl and Victor like this.
  18. detheridge02

detheridge02 New Member

Web Application Designer
    Gav
    You guys at the Patriot Project are doing a great job. Don't let the nay sayers get you down. Well done to all involved on her 'tour' and the best of luck for 2014.
    Dave

19. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I genuinely do not understand the problem.

The Royal British Legion approves and supports this project. That should be an end of it regarding whether it is the national memorial locomotive or not.

Thousands of people have donated - and continue to donate - to the project, to the extent where it is the fastest developing new build (bar the P2LT's current build) currently out there. It has already overtaken a number of other "built from the ground up" projects in just a few years.

Whether you choose to support this project or not, it has an important part to play in preservation and commemoration for many years to come. That surely cannot be argued, denied or decried?

andalfi1 and oddsocks like this.
  20. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I totally agree with you there Martin, a fine comment, I was hoping you would step in with one of your sensible statements on this matter at some stage. Good to have you here...