If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Patriot Project Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Gav106, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    To which collection I might add an Edwardian locomotive and set of Victorian and Edwardian carriages sitting all day in steam under the canopy at Kings Cross, which was also happening today, having arrived by rail in the early hours of the morning!

Tom

2. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Sorry I missed you Bluebell heroes out Tom, I saw the pics at the Cross this morning, a credit to all your efforts.
    Andy

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yet still people knock the efforts of those involved, complain about minutia, livery, diesels, route changes etc having no thought for how much this discourages those who make so much effort to keep steam on the main and heritage lines.

4. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Ah but we pay them no heed or mind, nor must we, when we partake in the magnificence of these glorious machines. Such negativity couldn't be further from our minds when we do what we enjoy. Think of them eating cold ravioli when you tuck in to that fireman's breakfast. We must pity those who cannot find passion in life.

Keep pushing! You are doing fine, fine work here!

5. RalphW

Unfortunately there are those in the business who do hear and see this negativity as a comment on what they are doing. Added to this, the wild and ill considered speculation about the way their businesses are run, makes at least one such target take it very personally and seriously look at throwing the towel in.

6. BanburyKev

BanburyKev New Member

Latest Engineering Update posted to our website today.

Engineering Update - Jan 2015
    Submitted by Kevin West on 13 February, 2016 - 10:14
    Locomotive Frame Assembly
    Work continues on the construction of The Unknown Warrior at number of locations.

The big news for this month is The Unknown Warrior became a 4-6-0 on Wednesday 4th February at Tyseley Locomotive Works, with the fitting of the bogie. This was accomplished by using the exIpswich wheel drop. The completed bogie was lowered into the drop before the locomotive was rolled into position above. The bogie was then raised up into position. After a few nervous moments to check clearances and an adjustment to a Stretcher the bogie reached its correct position taking the weight of the front end of the locomotive.

[​IMG]

The bogie in the wheeldrop at Tyseley, prior to being raised under the locomotive. Photo – Bob Sweet

[​IMG]

The bogie in position under the locomotive. Photo – Kevin West

[​IMG]

The Unknown Warrior stands alongside fellow LMS express passenger locomotive 6201 Princess Elizabeth at Tyseley Locomotive Works, 4th February. Photo – Kevin West

The replacement Valve Liner castings are now in the final stages of machining and once complete will be moved to Tyseley Locomotive Works for shrink fitting into the Cylinders. Unfortunately, two of the replacement Cylinder Liner castings have also proved to be unacceptable with similar issues and we are now waiting for further castings.

[​IMG]

The six Valve Liners almost finished machined. Photo – CMS Cepcour

Shortly before Christmas some issues were found with Stretcher 4 on the Frame Assembly. As various areas had previously been found problematical and repaired on this casting and it is believed further distortion has occurred it was decided to replace the casting completely. A new casting has been obtained and machined ready to fit to the Frames once they arrive back at Llangollen.

[​IMG]

Stretcher at Harco Engineering. Photo – Kevin West

Other parts ready to fit to the locomotive Frames once they arrive back at Llangollen include the Reverser Shaft Trunnions. The Sandboxes and Necks are also ready to fit to the Frames.

[​IMG]

Reverser Shaft Trunions and Crank Pin fittings at Harco Engineering. Photo – Kevin West

[​IMG]

The Sandbox Necks awaiting delivery to Llangollen. Photo – Kevin West

Brake System and Lubrication System

Refurbishment of the Locomotive & Tender Brake Cylinders from 8F 48518 continues at Harco Engineering.

[​IMG]

Brake Cylinders under overhaul at Harco. Photo – Kevin West

Design work continues for the lubrication system. The new body and lid castings for the Mechanical Lubricator are at the Great Central Railway, Loughborough for completion of the large mechanical lubricator.

Design work for the lubrication pipework runs, fittings and clips continues.

The Brake Hangers are being machined by Llangollen Engineering. Drawings for the associated Pins, Nuts etc have been finished and sent out for quotations.

Pistons, Valves and Motion
    As detailed at the beginning of this report the original castings obtained for the cylinder and valve liners had to be rejected due to casting faults. The Valve Liner are now in final stages of machining and replacement castings for the Cylinder Liners are awaited from the foundry.

The castings for the Pistons have been delivered to Tyseley ready for machining. Tyseley are going to supply completed Piston and Valve assemblies including matching the Crossheads to the Piston Rods. The new Inside Crosshead will be delivered to Tyseley following machining and the 2 original Outside Crossheads will move from store at Llangollen to Tyseley for this work to be completed. Drawings for the Gland and Stuffing Box parts for the Piston Rods and Valve Rods are in progress to enable manufacture.

Llangollen Railway Engineering are also progressing the manufacture of the Coupling Rod Bushes and Brasses.

Machining of the Expansion Links is almost complete at CMS Cepcour.

[​IMG]

The Expansion Links after machining. Photo – Kevin West

Drawings for the pins, nuts and other parts required for the Big End assembly have been finished and delivered toCMSCepcor to manufacture.

An order for the Eccentric Sheaf Halves has been placed with CMS Cepcour.

[​IMG]

The Eccentric for the inside Valve Gear after machining at Harco. Photo – Kevin West

Cad work on the Inside Eccentric Rod has been completed and will be sent out for quotation soon.

Castings for the Big End Bearings have also been procured. Quotations for machining to finish are being obtained.

The order for the Eccentric Sheaf Halves has been placed with CMS Cepcour and the flame cut blank has been delivered prior to machining.

[​IMG]

The flame cut blank for the Eccentric Sheaf Halves at Rowlescourt Engineering on 11th February. Photo – Kevin West

The Cylinder Relief Valve Body castings that were ordered last month have been cast, but have had to be returned as the casting quality was not as expected. Replacements are awaited from the foundry.

We await delivery of the castings for the valve spring holders. The valves will be ordered next.

Bogie
    Assembly of the bogie is complete at Tyseley Locomotives Works. The final work on the frame was to rivet over the ends of the End Stays to the Frame. This was undertaken at the end of January. The Axleboxe machining was completed prior to being mounted onto the wheelsets, ready for wheeling.

The Bolster Plates and the Bogie Centre Pin have been mounted onto the locomotive chassis using the specially made fitted bolts.

[​IMG]

The completed Bogie Frame being lowered onto its wheelsets at Tyseley. Photo – Kevin West

[​IMG]

The completed Bogie Frame at Tyseley Locomotive Works. Photo – Kevin West

Boiler
    Preparation work continues at Tyseley Locomotive Works for the forming of the Outer Firebox Steel Flanged plates.

The cast forming block for the Doorplate is at Tyseley waiting for work to start. Detailed discussions have been had with Tyseley on the Forming Blocks for the more complicated Throat plate. We will require 5 different blocks to enable the complicated shape to be hammered into the steel plate. Quotations for the castings have been obtained and once the final details have been sorted they will be ordered.

The Outer Firebox Wrapper sheets been welded at Deepdale Engineering in preparation for delivery to LNWR Heritage,Crewe.

[​IMG]

Inner Firebox assembly underway at LNWR Crewe. Photo – Gavin Shell

At LNWR Crewe, the Inner Firebox Assembly is starting to take shape, with drilling of the plates taking place prior to a start being made on assembling the parts of the copper firebox together. The copper Crown and side sheets welding is due to be completed in the next couple of weeks.

The 2 barrel rings are ready to be riveted together when there is capacity in the works. The Foundation Ring components are ready to be sent away for machining before welding in the side sections.

Discussions are underway with our Boiler Insurance company regarding the design and manufacturing processes for the Dome and Cover. The original was made from 3 pieces and each part would have been pressed from sheet steel of the required grade. The tooling for this would be very expensive to produce just 1 part. Discussions at present are looking at either casting or fabrication as suitable methods.

[​IMG]

CAD Data image of the Dome. Photo – Kevin West

LNWR Heritage have agreed the completed boiler will be ready for delivery in December 2016.

Tender
    Work on the refurbishment on the Tender Frames continues at Rowlescourt Engineering.

Due to an increase in the commercial workload at Rowlescourt, completion of the Chassis restoration was delayed beyond the expected completion at the end of December. Work has now re-started with good progress made.

The new dragboxes for both front and back have been machined and tack welded into the completed frame assembly. A few finishing jobs a required before the chassis is moved back to Llangollen around the end of February.

[​IMG]

Mathew Walker guides the new Front Drag Box into place in the restored Tender Frames at Rowlescourt Engineering on 11th February. Photo – Kevin West

[​IMG]

Mathew Walker and Andrew Kennedy from Oakwood Visuals inspect the new Front Drag Box in place at Rowlescourt Engineering on 11thFebruary.. Photo – Kevin West

[​IMG]

Mathew Walker clamps the new Front Buffer Beam into place. Photo – Kevin West

Once back at Llangollen work will start to replace all the rivets removed during the Frame Restoration. This will be undertaken by both the Llangollen Engineering staff and our members Jordan Leeds and Matt Jervis on a volunteer basis. Both Jordan and Matt are members of the Llangollen Engineering boiler shop staff.

Design work on the new tank which will be of welded construction with dummy rivets is continuing taking into consideration the requirements for new main line running regulations.

With the Tender chassis back at Llangollen a start can be made on refurbishing the axleboxes and preparing for the chassis to be wheeled. Some work is still required on the Brake gear before it can be refitted.

Future work planning
    Following fitting of the Cylinder & Valve Liners and the Bogie assembly at Tyseley Locomotive Works, the locomotive will return to Llangollen. This is now expected to take place in February.

Once back at Llangollen work will continue on setting up the Inner Slidebars.

A start will also be made on the lubrication pipework.

7. RalphW

Thanks Kevin for the update, just one query, these items that have been found to be faulty, cylinder liner castings for example, are they replaced FOC by the firm that have supplied them, since they have not been made to the specifications?

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Fantastic detailed update Kevin, thanks.

9. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Brilliant update, so much progress on so many fronts, the quality of which is really impressive, Thanks Kev.

10. W.Williams

Mechanical Engineer
    Amazing progress.

On that dome, why not have the base and intermediate section fabricated and welded...and have the cap bolt on as per the above design...? Am I missing a detail or two?

11. BanburyKev

BanburyKev New Member

Certainly, any faulty castings are replaced by the foundry free of charge.

12. BanburyKev

BanburyKev New Member

The design is going to be dictated by what the what our boiler insurance company decides is a suitable method of manufacture.

13. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    Superb progress, many thanks for the detailed progress report Kev! I'm particularly impressed by the rate of work on the firebox - Once this has gone together the boiler should hopefully be relatively straightforward.
    It's a shame that some of the castings are coming out flawed, but good that the manufacturers are correcting these.
    Good Luck with the forming of the ogee bends in the firebox wrappers, and getting these drilled and the stays fitted. - How the heck Crewe managed to drill both inner and outer firebox plates BEFORE fitting them, and get them to fit together accurately is pretty mind boggling to me!

Richard.

14. K14

K14 Member

The dome does seem to be overly complicated, but I'd want to know why it's constructed thus before making any 'logical' modifications. To my non-engineers brain there could be two reasons:

1: It represents a degree of standardisation, i.e. one pattern for the barrel mounting & the top and a selection for the centre section depending what boiler it goes on. Thus a 4F would have a tall centre whereas a Scot would take a short one.

2: There's something long & awkward within the barrel that can only be fitted/removed by taking the whole dome off.

If 1 is the answer then a redesign isn't an issue, but if it's 2...

15. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    I refer you to #612, they are the only people who can sanction anything, surely.

16. W.Williams

Mechanical Engineer
    Indeed, but It sounds like the insurers are willing to take modifications on a case by case basis and will be following the rules of best engineering practice.

Personally I would be bloody tempted to weld multiple items of interest and have the insurers/engineers sign off or even spec the weld,(and even the welders if they want) all purely in the interests of cost and manufacturability.

17. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    But surely if you used the same premise on the whole boiler, we would be building an all welded steel item ? No thanks, that is one of the major reasons I contribute to the Patriot ! Traditional engineering, with the bonus of a British build.

RalphW, Gav106 and LMS2968 like this.
  18. W.Williams

Mechanical Engineer
    I know I know, I appreciate and respect that position. I'm unashamedly contemporary in my thinking towards construction methods here. The way I see it is, if the public don't see it...how important is it...

19. K14

K14 Member

True, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I'll re-phrase it...

Was the dome assembly made in three parts for reasons of manufacturing or maintenance?
    If it was for ease of manufacturing, then it would be quite possible to adjust the design subject to the insurers' permission, but if it was built that way for maintenance/access reasons then modifying the design could cause problems further down the line.

How is the main steam pipe fixed in the barrel?

andalfi1 likes this.
  20. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Flanged onto the 'J' pipe, which in turn is flanged to the regulator header in the dome, other end expanded into front tube plate and flanged to superheater header in the smokebox, if my memory serves ?