If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Patriot Project Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Gav106, Apr 10, 2011.

1. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

I like it, its a great idea.

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Right guys. Just to keep you 100% up to date. This is our progress in 2011 and where we are up to.

Locomotive:

 All six driving axleboxes have been cast – at contractors in Southam (Warwicks) awaiting machining
     One axlebox keep and one bearing have been cast and await checking before we order five more of each
     All hornguides cast – those for the leading driving wheel which are different from the rest have been machined and trial fitted. The remaining eight await machining. The four ties (stretchers) for these have been machined.
     All horn ties have been cast and are at Llangollen awaiting machining
     Six driving wheel springs have been manufactured at Owen Springs Rotherham
     Twelve spring hanger brackets have been cast and are at Llangollen awaiting machining and fitting to the frames
     Six spring hangers and the pins have been machined and are at Llangollen waiting for delivery of the springs
     The pattern for the Tee Piece (which connects axlebox to spring) has been made and the six Tee Pieces cast
     The four main frame stretchers have been cast and machined and are at Llangollen awaiting fitting to the frames
     The wheels have been machined and are at the South Devon Railway to be made into wheelsets
     The two axles have been machined and work on the crank axle is proceeding.
     Manufacturing drawings for the running plate, motion girder and motion bracket are in preparation
     Quotes have been obtained for the two remaining connecting rod forgings and the inside cylinder end cap
     All buffers have been refurbished
     The chimney from 45539 E.C. Trench has been acquired at Sheffield Raiwayana auctions
     One bogie wheelset complete with axleboxes and hornguides has been acquired with the other one promised.

Tender

 The tender wheels have been refurbished at Tyseley
     The tender springs have been refurbished by Owens Springs in Rotherham
     Quotes have been obtained for new inside and outside frame plates and front and rear dragboxes
     The order has been placed for a new axlebox pattern and four axleboxes to be cast
     Drawings for the revised tender tank have been completed

Have a great Christmas, thanks for your support in 2011
    And i really hope you'll continue to (and in some cases increase) you support in 2012.

Gavin

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Blimey Gav, you guys have been busy. Well done one and all!

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer

Indeed! Splendid stuff and here's to more progress in 2012!

5. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Well i suppose 2012 is the year we wheel the patriot and fund raise for the Copper for the firebox. Plus if our grant is successful we will pay for the Motion (roughly 60%).

Maybe then people will finally believe the project WILL be completed. I mean we have only been going 3 1/2 years and we nearly have 600 members. But apparently some still doubt!

6. Wyndham

Wyndham New Member

Absolutely amazing progress. I am very impressed. Keep it up.

7. 53807

53807 New Member

I am not a member but soon i will be reviewing my finances and hopefully i will then be in a position to contribute but i have no doubt that the Patriot will run and in a shorter timescale than the A1 took, plus its a more usefull size and therefore more suitable engine for the majority of preserved line running.

8. New Build Steam

New Build Steam New Member

Nice! :) Thanks for the link, too - I'll add this to my blogroll when I update the site before the end of the year.

9. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Incase you havent seen my Blog 4 of the Frame stretchers are now in LLan. see LMS Patriot Project for more info

10. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Just received another piece of news.

Six all new driving wheel springs have now been made by Owen Springs in Rotherham. These will be delivered to the Llangollen Railway Works to enable the rolling chassis, minus front bogie truck, to be assembled this year. Photo by Oakwood Visuals.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. knotty

knotty Member

Impressed with the speed at which this is coming together Gav. The updates are coming thick and fast. Well done to all concerned.

12. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Cheers Knotty. in your bit bellow im supprised it doesnt say an Adams "g" 4-4-0.

13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Great news Gav!. A rolling chassis should help to get the income rolling in. Keep this up and you'll hit your target!

14. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Excellent news - a complete Patriot in under a decade? Looking more and more likely with every update.

Just Superb. Between this, the standard 3MT, Beachy Head and Tornado, and the others with major components - that's how it's done.

I sincerely hope other new locomotive groups are taking notes and understanding the amount of work going on behind the scenes. It doesn't just "happen".

15. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Wise words and good advice indeed. Progress on the Patriot is truly outstanding but the project still needs our support. Likewise, although a "Barry" restoration and not a new build, progress on 4253 shows just what can be done with an established base, a knowledgeable team and good financial and volunteer support.

16. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

So were now 10 days into 2012 and the project has had a great start with the pictures and news. We should have the rolling chassis ready for our Members day in July, SO to be there to see it first you need to be a member ;-)
    Creating the new Royal British Legion Endorsed National Memorial Engine
    Please join today via this link and i hope to see you there:)

17. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Your completely right. There is so much going on in the back ground. Obviously there is still a long long way to go in terms of financing but were doing well. if we can continue to get new members it will happen.

18. NDTSDN

Excellent pic of the new springs

I cant keep pace with these regular updates - looking forward to the next one!!

That will be a sight: 2 New-build 4-6-0's rolling chassis side by side at Llangollen.

I don't know if 6880 has had her main springs made yet.

19. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Agreed, but both are lacking one major set of components that should be in place before any wheeling takes place. This is the cylinder/smokebox saddle set ups.

20. NDTSDN

The main object of the 'rolling' chassis is to have a visual impact and show the progress of the project(s) be in the 'flesh' or by means of photographs. This will hopefully bring more interest (members/donations) to the project(s) and thus enable the missing components including the cylinder/smokebox set ups to be manufactured.