If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS tenders

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by CH 19, Jan 19, 2019.

1. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    John Aspinall did try to make his later footplates at Horwich more crew-friendly, including stools, regulators designed to be operated from either position and seated, careful design of the height of fire doors, etc. Although apparently after the amalgamation LNW crews hated them.

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I had reason to be pootling about on my bike at the weekend and found myself riding past Old Hall Farm in Bouth and noted a Stanier tender body on one of their low loaders, I know they do the engineering stuff for the RER but wasn't aware they were doing standard gauge stuff, any ideas of what/who said tender belongs to, from riding past at 20+mph it looked in reasonable nick albeit unpainted?

3. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Was there any deviation from standard or are all the Later tenders 9t / 4000 gall. They always look a bit too small to me. having said that apart from the 8 wheelers so do LNER tenders

4. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There were some 3500 gal Stanier tenders, the preserved 8F no 48624 runs with one. I believe they could cram a lot more than 9 tons on board for workings like the Crewe - Perth and the Water Ottoman - Carlisle freights. The latter were rostered for a Black 5 until the 9Fs came along.

5. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    The main reason for large tenders was to carry more water, which is a dead weight. The LMS long distance routes generally were well supplied with troughs, so there was no need to drag all that water around.

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yeah, it's because they didn't have any hills to make siting troughs awkward ;)

Tom

Steve likes this.
  7. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Yes and making them higher rather than longer means locos fit on turntables so naturally they are how they are. Aesthetically though...:Blackeye:

ragl likes this.
  8. LMS2968

The one half way up Shap was not a success so they moved it Dillicar.

9. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member Account Suspended

Van driver
    Weren't the ones at Luddenden Foot on the Calder Valley line on a slight gradient?

10. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

The 3500g tender (well, the tank) is actually behind 48305, not 48624. The tender was originally behind 45593 but was swapped with 45562’s 4000g one in October 1967, when 45593 was withdrawn and sold to Pat Whitehouse for preservation.

After 45562 was withdrawn from Normanton in November 1967, it arrived at Tyseley in January 1968 for removal of parts for spares. 45562’s remains were subsequently dispatched to Cashmores at Great Bridge for scrapping but the tender remained at Tyseley for many years and I remember seeing it stored on the coaling stage there.

The frames eventually ended up with a new BR1-style tank (and false Timken axle box covers!) for use with 73096. Roger Hibbert acquired the tank and mounted it a Fowler chassis for use with the 8F.

Pictures have previously appeared on NP of all three celebrity ‘Holbeck’ 5Xs in Tyseley roundhouse (45697 also went for scrapping at Great Bridge, via Tyseley) but I couldn’t find them, when I searched a few days ago.

JS

John Merry, jnc, Johnb and 7 others like this.
  11. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Thanks for the correction James. I didn’t know the full story of 8305s tender. I think the 3500 gal tenders were basically the Fowler chassis with a Stanier tank on top.

12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Whilst the other stuff is very interesting, I assume we have concluded that no one can address this query, bar the couple of intriguing suggestions I have had via PM, thanks to you know who you are!

13. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Always a thrill as you approached a locoshed from the open end and could spot some of the larger 10 ton LMS tenders as this meant Pacifics :)

Liverpool Edge Hill was good for this, on 23 November 1963 producing Duchess of Hamilton, City of Edinburgh and City of Lancaster.

Edit: plus Duchess of Sutherland, so two of the preserved examples.
    Dave

Johnb likes this.
  14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I'm fairly certain they were my photos, reproduced again, here. Jubilees were a major part of my early life and I left Leeds for Brum on the last weekend of West Riding Steam so was quite pleased when they followed me shortly afterwards, even if they were no longer to steam again. It stopped me from being homesick. :) It's a long time ago for the memory to be clear but I don't think 45593 was ever alongside 45562 & 45697 at Tyseley as it was being repainted into LMS livery in another part of the depot. 7029 was present, though. I used to visit almost weekly at that time. Always happy to be told I'm wrong, though.

45697 Tyseley.jpg 45562 Tyseley.jpg

15. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

At the time of Grouping, the exception was the Caledonian Railway, which had no troughs. So some of the larger Caledonian passenger engines had large bogie tenders, which I think had to carry enough coal & water for the 118 mile run from Carlisle to Stirling?

Presumably, the LMS must have installed troughs by 1927 when the Royal Scots arrived, fitted only with small Fowler tenders?

16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

The LNWR was the first railway to install troughs back in Ramsbottom’s time

LMS2968 likes this.
  17. LMS2968

Which is why LNWR tenders were never above 3000 gallon capacity - the spacing on the LNWR main lines required nothing bigger. Problems arose post-Grouping when LNWR engines were sent to the Midland, which had troughs but spaced rather further apart, and that amount was no longer sufficient. The LMS bought many ex-ROD 2-8-0s at bargain prices - just for their higher capacity tenders, then either scrapping or reselling the engines alone to China

18. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

That's them! Did you take any more?

The last summer of the 5Xs is a fascinating period, within the final run-down of steam, probably because it was so well followed and documented and they went out with a bit of a hurrah. It was mainly why we took 45699 to Royston, via as many West Riding shed sites as we could, in 2017.

I can't say I have clear memories of them, other than, as 3 year-old, seeing 45593 come through Hathersage on a Middleton Railway Trust-organised rail tour in April 1967 (the return was with 'The Great Marquess').

JS

ragl and Steve like this.
  19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    That was the Derbyshire Dawdler railtour of 22nd April 1967, which was one of the few railtours I ever did. Spent a few days at Neville Hill cleaning the Marquess beforehand. It was an interesting itinerary, leaving Leeds eastbound before diverting onto the Castleford branch through Allerton Bywater, (a place I was to become very familiar with in the next thirty years.). Then down to Sheffield Midland and through Dore & Totley to Chinley where we reversed before heading down the Midland to Derby. Time for a visit round the works before the train back to Leeds via the direct route. I'm surprised now to find that, although I have several of 45593, I didn't bother taking any of the Marquess.
    Unfortunately I've only got one other slide of 45562 & 45697, taken on the same day, which was in March 1968. I've a couple of 45593 during its repaint, taken in January. Agfa colour slide film was 35/6d a roll which was a lot of beer money so was quite precious to an impoverished student. These are all in the loft and still unsorted from the day my two year old daughter decided it would be fun to tip them all out into pile on the carpet and that was forty years ago! I started to scan them but the enthusiasm waned.

20. John Merry

John Merry New Member

Looking for any info on water feed system on Stainer tenders, evidently there were two types, conventional and debris box type? Thanks in anticipation.