If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Long Potential Extensions

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by JFlambo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting - thanks for the reply!

Keith

2. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

On lines that were never built, but in this case engineered. The Yeovil chord off the Weymouth Castle Cary line to Yeovil junction, this would enable Bournemouth / Weymouth Exeter services

3. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Why stop at East Grinstead, carry on through to Three Bridges.

4. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

5. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I wouldn't sign a petition that has such a glaring error as saying the Local Authorities have sold off land for development. Closed railway land was sold by the British Railways Board which had no interest in preserving the continuous right of way. If a Local Authority wanted to preserve such routes it had to buy the land at market value. This was not too difficult in the country where one would be talking of agricultural value, but realised only when embankments were removed, cuttings filled and contaminated soiled removed. In urban areas where the principle of a Certificate of Appropriate Alternative Development applied one would be expecting the Authority to pay building land prices just to sterilise a long thin area of land. In the climate of the 1960s/70s these railways were thought of as gone for ever and it was unsurprising that so many routes were lost.

6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

On the subject of railway lines planned but never built how about linking Chinnor with Cholsey & Wallingford...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. maninthecorner

maninthecorner New Member

Linking into another thread. IWR to Brading if the line to Shanklin closes then Brading Hertiage Group reopen Brading to St Helens (Station still exists).

8. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

In terms of access to the most amount of track for the minimum amount of work or cost, then getting the Embsay and Bolton Abbey railway to Swinden quarry would be a great project even if it did mean a reversal. Its a very long branch line (8 miles plus?) that must cost network rail & Tarmac no small amount to maintain just for heavy quarry trains through some lovely scenery. Sharing the cost of operations with a heritage railway just might one day be attractive to them.