If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Longmoor Military Railway diesels

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Bertie Lissie, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Garratt15a

Garratt15a New Member

Locomotive Fitter/Engineer
    Anthony Coulls has this spot on. I have only just joined this group and was going to help with this info.
    The loco at Lakeside is most definitley 878/601 ex 'Basra'.
    As you will see from my profile I was a civillian driver/shunter/fitter for the Army Railways from 1973 until 1980 and again from 1984 until 1988, and took a great interest in the old diesel loco's we had at the time. ( Even smuggling my camera into Depots to take lots of rare shots ) !
    My job took me to most Depots in the South of England, but I was based at Marchwood where I drove not only all the diesel shunters but 'Austerity' Army 92 'Waggoner' as well. Later my job included looking after and steaming 98 'Royal Engineer' at Long Marston.
    Anyway, back to 'Basra'. You may be pleased to know that one of it's nameplates is in my collection, having been given to me by the then Locomotive Superintendent. The name being removed from the loco when Longmoor closed.
    Regards,
    Andy