If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Looking for members to form a group to purchase a class 20

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Norfolkcl20g, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Norfolkcl20g

Norfolkcl20g New Member

Hello one and all,Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I am
    looking for like minded individuals who would be interested in setting
    up a group to purchase a class 20 for the norfolk area (preferences are
    to base it at the MNR.

If your interested please inbox me or email Norfolkcl20g (at) hotmail dot co dot uk

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in joining me and a few other likeminded individuals.

Best Wishes

Michael Allen

2. moxon2311

moxon2311 New Member

Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Michael,

I don't want to sound "Shirty" but doesn't the MNR already have a BR Blue Chopper already?

As I remember when I went to the MNR Railway last June/July for the Choppers 50th Birthday Celebrations...

This is only a guess mind due but does the MNR want to find a partner to go with the BR Blue Chopper they have already?

3. Norfolkcl20g

Norfolkcl20g New Member

Hi Moxton
    You are certainly correct the MNR does have a Chopper (D8069/20069) The MNR are not personally looking for a 2nd, however this is a group for those who feel that it would be good for a 2nd Chopper to be resident to join D8069 as afterall you can't beat a pair coupled nose to nose and it would make up for the loss of 20206 to the scrapman

Best Wishes
    Michael

4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

From whom do you intend purchasing this Class 20?

5. Norfolkcl20g

Norfolkcl20g New Member

Hi Simon,
    If it was to get as far as being able to purchase a class 20 it would be an example that is either in scrap condition or currently up for sale, as for whom from this i can't really answer at the moment, i have found that the HNRC does not seem to be around anymore, which would leave the options down to a preservation group who want to sell their class 20(unlikely) and DRS when they part with their examples of the class.

this brings me to a question... Does anyone know what is happening to the HNRC examples as i have been trying to find recent information on them but to no avail.

Best Wishes
    Michael

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Really? You could try contacting Harry - he posts on the WNXX forum as 'Sulzer fixer' ... He is not one to suffer fools gladly though ...

7. Hmm. If your initial background research is that poor, then I fear for your ability to restore and run a diesel loco. :tsk:

Why are echoes of the letters B, D, L, P & G echoing round inside my head?

8. theblackwatch

theblackwatch New Member

Has the MNR agreed to you housing a loco on their line?

9. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

It seems to me that:

1. You don't know if the MNR actually want another class 20

2. You don't mention how many other people are involved with this project, or is this just your idea that you want others to pay for?

3. You don't know where the loco is going to come from

4. Therefore you don't know how good/bad a condition it would be in

5. Therefore you don't know how much it will cost

I think you have jumped the gun a bit

Keith

10. Norfolkcl20g

Norfolkcl20g New Member

Saggin Dragon: thank you for that, the information is much appreciated.

DisusedBranch: I enquired as I have browsed the net for the HNRC website but could not find an active page, as for fearing about the ability to restore and run a diesel locomotive, please do not judge a book by its cover.

Theblackwatch: I have mentioned it around the MNR, but as yet no I have not properly enquired about basing a class 20 locomotive, however I have spoken to the manager previously about the idea of basing a different locomotive there and was told they will happily welcome locomotive owners and their locomotives.

ghost: in response to your points;
    1.See above, and regarding the money it is our view that we should all donate as much money as possible but to be able to purchase a locomotive we will need more like minded individuals
    2.There are currently three of us
    3.We are only just starting out and are infact searching all posibilitys of where to purchase a Class 20 from.
    4,5,6 I would of thought this is rather obvious and would be answered when we have found a possible choice of Class 20

I must say that it seems some people are so negative towards newblood in this great hobby, it seems quite disheartening and if we are to keep Railway Preservation alive then we need this new blood to be able to continue the world of Railway Preservation, to some it may push people away from using a good home for keeping up to date on the preservation, however your negativity will not put us off our goal of saving another Class 20 and maintaining it for generations to come.
    And so I ask if you have any negativity towards us please don't bother looking at this thread and spend your time doing something more positive.

Best Wishes to all

11. 60052

60052 New Member

Driver
    HNRC haven't really got a website as such, but as The Saggin Dragon has said.....Your Better off Contacting Harry Needle on WNXX forums or via his email address harrycneedle@aol.com However! word of warning would be.....Harry doesn't entertain "Dreamers or Window lickers" lightly, so you will have to have a very strong business plan, creditabilty in terms of the group/people and of course, Money to start.

12. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I don't know if you are referring to me regarding 'negativity towards newblood', but actually my points were to show that in reality you are not ready to 'go public' on this. There are a number of issues to be sorted before you should look for additional members.
    I'm not quite sure how anybody on here could be negative towards new blood when we know nothing about you, your age or your background - I think you're being a bit paranoid there! A lot of people on here are sceptical of someone who joins the site, and with their first posting is asking for members to join a new group and presumably donate money - you really should've introduced yourself and told us a little bit about your background at the very least!

Nobody is against new blood coming into our hobby, we all know that we need new people to keep it going. However, you need to have a good dose of realism, and professionalism if you're going to go public and appeal for members/funds - you are competing with a vast number of projects out there!
    With regards to your own project, I think you need to have some kind of outline agreement with the MNR before you go any further (a casual word with the manager isn't really enough-he will want to know what type of loco, what resources you'll need and how long it will take to restore). You also need to get an idea of cost to buy/transport/insure a loco and the likely costs of restoration for both a rough loco and a decent loco. These costings would only be rough at this stage, but it would tell you if you need £10,000 or £100,000 and also gives you a rough target so you can work on various ways of financing it all, you will also need to investigate how you can become a company or trust so that your members are legally protected.

I hope you can see that my comments were not made to discourage you, but to hopefully nudge you in a more professional and organised direction.

Keith

13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Michael

there are a lot of very experienced people on the forum who rather than being negative are trying to give you a very healthy dose of realism. Be under no illusions that preservation (steam or diesel ) is a very very expensive game especially as the equipment gets older and more and more obsolete . The forum has had plenty of experience of those promoting projects with no plan and no money and are quite good judges of the merit of them

Diesels in particular attract less work and have less opportunity to generate income and there are now plenty of examples spread across the length and breadth of the country . Would you not be better supporting an existing scheme rather than diluting the current pool

The next point is that the MNR is a strong hold of modern traction and I can't help but feel that in terms of advice and support the pool of knowledge to get you going would be far better there than casting your net on here so to speak .

If you are still determined then we all wish you well and look forward to hearing successful updates

14. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

If I may be so bold as to ask, do you have a background of experience working on locomotives at preserved railways? It's all very well raising the money to buy the thing, and if you're a lottery winner or marketing genius you might also be able to raise the money to have it returned to operational condition, but for most projects it's really worth knowing the ins and outs of the loco. Of course, none of us have any right to suggest you can't buy a loco and learn your way round it on the job, but don't expect to manage it without a lot of blood, sweat and tears! As ever, the point must also be raised - there are hundreds of locos at various preservation sites in near-scrap condition - you might be a lot better off all round to become involved in one of these!