If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lottery Dreams for investing in Heritage Railways

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by toplight, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I've always liked the look of these! And the LYR Hughes Railmotors.

Richard.

2. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

What part of what I wrote suggested I wanted more railways????

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    You didn't, it was an observation on my part. I'm just increasingly disillusioned by the ever increasing number of nascent lines that clearly serve the purpose of amusing their supporters (nothing wrong with that) but add nothing in terms of quality, as that ship has largely sailed. But even on the established lines there is relatively little concern for heritage beyond the act of using steam engines. How many, for example, both to reupholster Mk 1s with correct period moquette?

Jamessquared, ghost and Mr Valentine like this.
  4. 21B

Thank you for clarifying.

It is a difficult one, this business of new lines, or the awakening of schemes long in the making (Oswestry for example).

Difficult because some deserve to make it even at the expense of existing lines that do not. Without pointing fingers it is clear there are some established lines of all sizes and types which probably need either a massive injection of new enthusiasm or closure. Some places feel like they cling on year after year stuck in a type of sealing wax and string, jumble sale and line of pennies approach, the charm of which has faded like the paint on the signal box.

Dunfanaghy Road likes this.
  5. Cosmo Bonsor

Cosmo Bonsor Member

I mention Terriers as a good design of engines in that power range.
    I think that size of engine is fine for a lot of lines in the up to six or seven miles or so length. Running small engines on a good length and or hilly line is perfectly feasible and fun, its just needs some imagination from the operators.
    Think of any line that uses industrials and put a nice new 0P in their place, not that I've anything against industrials as such. My preference is for small to medium sized engines and indeed motorbikes.
    For what a Terrier can do. look for Fenchurch in Holland. That was fun, you might even see me on it.
    For most lines a 57XX can do the rest. I've only had one day on one (the Didcot one?) and have a grudging respect for them.

6. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

I would do whatever it needs to ensure that steam on the Met and the restored 'Q' Stock and 1938 and Cravens emus can continue to run on the LT system.

Dave

MellishR likes this.
  7. Vulcan Works

Vulcan Works Member

‘Heritage’ means lots of things to lots of different people. Historical accuracy might be an aspiration but in reality the cost and hassle of re-upholstering a coach in an original shade of maquette isn’t by itself going to generate any extra revenue...

I agree that a heritage railway should think about the overall ambience and how it can differentiate itself from other railways and other tourist attractions. A concerted effort and a strategy of ‘more heritage’ can work but only in conjunction with the revenue brought in by more dining trains, a bigger cafe, attractive shops and decent toilets and playgrounds...

I do think that some railways need to reinvent and revitalise themselves. Trundling up and down a few miles of track with a tired shop and a cafe as the only visitor amenities aren’t really going to cut it in the Covid/post Covid digital world. Today’s youngsters are tomorrow’s parents and grandparents, heritage railways need to think how they can maintain their appeal and relevance.

35B and Dunfanaghy Road like this.
  8. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

Totally agree. What is a heritage railway? If we look at the Welsh new gauge lines Bala, Llanberis Lake and Fairbourne are probably not. They all have basically been rebuilt to a different gauges and whilst Bala and Llanberis may have more historic locos the Fairbourne is still doing the job it has been doing since around the period of the first world war. At the other extreme is the Vale of Rheidol which is operating with the same locos and carriages it did from the GWR days. Aberystwyth station has changed a bit but apart from that it is probably the least changed of all the lines.

In the middle are the rest. WHR runs on a good percentage of the original track bed and has a few original bits of rolling stock but not much else with loco's imported from SA. W&LLR mainly runs imported stock but when the original locos run with replica carriages then it will look pretty authentic.

The FR and TR are much changed. The FR more than the TR and both operate locos etc that were not original to the line or are modern builds.

Then you have the likes of the Corris which runs on a small part of its original line but with replica locos and rolling stock, the WHHR which has a mixture of original stock and replica or acquired stock which I don't think run on any of its old route.

I think that leaves the Brecon Mountain Railway and Snowdon Mountain. The latter have basically completely modernised and the former run imported loco's which are a completely different gauge to the original line. I would not describe either as a heritage railway. BMR because apart from it operating steam locos I am not sure there are any heritage features. The SMR because it is basically running modern stock. I appreciate that it runs on the same route and for the same purpose it has always done but if that was the main criteria then most of Network Rail would be deemed a heritage railway.

Back to topic, if money was no object then maybe my own equivalent of the Statfold Barn Railway. 10 to 15 miles of line with various gauges and then I could bring my toys out to play every know and then. That would probably take several very large lottery wins! Alternatively can I have the Cambrian line between Mac and Aber to run as a mainly steam only line for most of the year. Opps just read the original post and I am limited to a £million so maybe that might be enough to widen a few platforms and sort the signalling out so Manor's could run along the Cambrian again

weltrol and Bluenosejohn like this.
  9. Bluenosejohn

Bluenosejohn New Member

The Statfold Barn Railway is a first class example of how one can use money intelligently to benefit not just enthusiasts but the community as a whole.

The museum has a magnificent collection of narrow gauge locomotives and it's workshops recently overhauled the first ever Garrett on loan from the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways.

2392 likes this.
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Just out of interest how much would it take to lengthen the headshunts at Smallbrook Junction and Wootton to sort of 9F length? Asking for a friend ;)

11. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    no need to worry about the headshunt at Smallbrook Junction it is already
    quite a generous length.

Matt37401 likes this.
  12. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Wootton, then. It'd be nice to see the WIBN Hayling Billy with T&T 9Fs...

Monkey Magic and Matt37401 like this.
  13. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Something like this perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    From the telegraph cartoons

14. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Something tells me someone will soon be fulminating about the fumigation!

Tom

15. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

That's coz he can only get imported coal nowadays!

16. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stroudley AND Fairlie. Mind in boggling overdrive! :eek:

35B likes this.
  17. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    I've just received the latest South Western Circle Monograph "An Album of Beattie Locomotives". I'd forgotten just how attractive the later tender 2-4-0's were after Mr. Adams tidied them up. The 'tenderised' Well Tanks were very pretty things as well (well to me, anyhow). Driving wheels small enough for 25 mph - ideal heritage railway type. Just need the lottery win :Morewaitingisrequired:
    Pat

Jamessquared likes this.
  18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes, that was an unexpected and wonderful bonus in today's post! The SWC monographs are consistently excellent.

Tom

19. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Thank you Gary, in that case then, how much to air brake a 9F (and maybe an RMB) and send them over the Solent? (My friend’s still asking) ;):)

20. 21B

Has your friend been eating too much cheese?