If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LSWR T3 563

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by nick813, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

In reality Basingstoke Yard

paullad1984 likes this.
  2. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. 43729

43729 New Member

The patches in the firebox were a standard repair at the time. It has nothing to do with either war effort. Remember that boilersmiths would have been on piece work back then too.

It is a shame some insurers find these repairs to be unacceptable these days. I would suggest it represents a lack of understanding on their part, rather than a problem with the method of repair.

I sincerely hope the firebox can be retained in full as an exhibit as it represents a trade/craft at its best and skills that are dwindling due to uninformed insurers.

4. Mogul

Mogul New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Without trying to speak for those running the project, I think this is what they have in mind should an overhaul go-a-head. It's exactly the sort of 'original material & workmanship' that the project has the intent to conserve. I would go further and say that if removed in its entirety for display, it would be more educational, to a wider audience than it ever could be 'in situ' weather running or not.

In any case it's likely that in the long run it will be cheaper to start afresh with a new box than it is to try to salvage anything from the old.

Regarding how it came to be patched in the way that it is, the story goes that when it was to be steamed for the LSWR anniversary and put through the workshops it came out with a 60psi boiler pressure limit and was only able to take itself to Waterloo in 'light steam' suggesting that the level of patching was a stretch for even then.