If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LU 150

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Christopher125, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

LU 150 plans...

Tonight

Attached Files:

2. cg

cg Well-Known Member

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    LU 150 plans...

On my way home after an excellent day. Good to meet ADB968008 (and share a few beers), richards, 5944 and no doubt other NatPres members I didn't recognise. The atmosphere below ground was a revelation. What it must have been like when it was a steam only system heaven only knows. Roll on next week and my turn to ride. Well done LUL. 11 out of 10 for this.

4. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Re: LU 150 plans...

Well said Deepgreen, though you'd be suprised , there are a few enthusiasts in NR!

5. ian14

ian14 Member

Freelance Journalist
    No I do not currently volunteer
  6. richards

richards Part of the furniture

At Farringdon this morning, just ahead of the heritage train, was a set of new Metropolitan line "S" stock in LU150 livery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliang2006/8377463455 (not my photo)

I think it was running "Not in service" too, so not just a coincidence!

Richard

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey

That was the S7 stock that sat in the other platform at Moorgate all day. There was a set of S8 stock that's been vinyled in a different livery that ran empty to Aldgate, reversed, picked up guests at Moorgate for a non-stop run to King's Cross. I'm sorting through my photos now, probably get them posted in the morning.

8. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Just got home after a great day and magical evening. Having gone with no hopes of photos came away with some good shots. Never made it to Spoons' in the end - maybe next time......

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who made this happen! :D

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Just got back in not long ago, having left Euston just before 11:30PM, a big thankyou London Underground and everyone else involved, the staff at all the stations coulden't have been more helpful and helped enjoy what was likely to be a once in a lifetime experience, pics look a bit of a mixed bag, some iffy ones (not helped by being bowled at Great Portland Street on the second evening run) mixed with some fairly decent ones, I'll sort them out tomorrow or later in the week as I have an urgent appointment with my bed currently!.

Had prior plans with my Cousin during the afternoon so unfortunately coulden't drop by the Baker St Spoons, but hope all the NP Members had a good time.

10. alisdairanderson

alisdairanderson New Member

11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
  12. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor

Rode on the 19.15hrs from Kensington Olympia last night and it was without doubt one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had with steam. Shared a compartment with several old Bluebell colleagues and had a wonderful time

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Very exciting day yesterday, certainly one of the more unusual days out and not one to forget.

riding in 353 (how often can you ride first class on the underground) was a great experience, unbelievable restoration on this coach, unlike many carriage restoration projects where many old features are restored to look like new, this coach felt like it was new ( I suspect much is), but it was easy to imagine in that setting what it must have felt like in Victorian England to ride a brand new train underground... Which is what that was about.

managed to see met no 1 at Faringdon (almost bowled out), cracking shot at Great Portland street and the 20 minute stop at edgware road gives plenty of time for close ups / photos without other trains passing. Quite hard to get a "professional" shot on a moving target in a tunnel but will upload my humble effort some tonight/tomorrow, I videoed the whole run from edgware to Moorgate from my window yesterday.

Note for photographers next week, the unit will be in the platform again at Moorgate (that really is the only gripe for non travellers), but there is the 20 minute stop at Baker St (the run does not goto edgware road except to/from Kensington), also note the train will be steam leading (uphill) to Baker St next week with Sarah Siddons at the Moorgate end.

Though to be fair, in the tunnel it was a joint effort (in both directions) by the locos, Met No1 tending to pull or shove from mid platform into the tunnel, and Siddons doing the bits between stations.

14. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Just got home, what a fantastic day - perhaps a little surprisingly it was the trips behind Sarah that proved the most entertaining for me from the platforms, with some very energetic assistance from behind; the first return through King's Cross and the restart from a stop at Baker St won't be forgotten in a hurry!

Chris

15. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Happy Birthday London Underground!!

A great day yesterday:

• Watching the oldest (steam) and newest (S7) on the Metropolitan. But which is best?
    • Riding eight underground lines to get us to Farringdon, on to the British Museum (for a separate event), then lunch at Baker Street, and finally home again.
    • Comparing 40 years of tube train technology - from the clack and rattle of the District to the electronic whine of the Jubilee/Northern/Met.
    Mind you, I wouldn't want to travel on it everyday. Much prefer the bigger trains.

Richard

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
  17. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre

A record photo of steam in motion at High Street Kensington from me here on the last return yesterday. Plenty of video to come later this week, as people have said probably had more look with the Sarah Siddons runs:
    [​IMG]

18. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy

Met 1 at Edgware Road

[​IMG]

19. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Thanks to everyone for sharing photos and videos from a very historical event. Met No.1 on appropriate coaching stock in the correct setting is a pretty stunning mix.

20. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Sarah Siddons has good reason to be entertaining on departure. It's 1200Hp at rail is directly controlled by the drivers' controller shorting out resistances between the line and the motors. So, at full series the motors are directly coupled to the line.
    It has the same power at rail as a 33 or 37 diesel loco, without the lag of engine, generator, governor, load regualator, turbocharger(s).