If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lymington Branch changes ?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Romsey, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    That is not true

2. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Assuming that the aim of the changes is to save South West trains money, what is the point of having the cost of replacing the heritage signs on the branch? Does this mean the Community Rail Partnership is also defunct?

I can see that SWT hope to cover the branch from their pool of units excluding the Slam door stock, so that will be a saving - presumably, just run something short and make a few people stand elsewehere - after all, it doesn't matter, they are only passengers, aren't they!

What happens if they can't create a spare unit from somewhere? I have only travelled the branch once but can't see that bus replacement, the usual way train companies like to deliver services these days, would be straight forward.

3. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Shortages of stock can happen at any time. That's what rolling stock controllers are paid to do, swap stock between duties to minimise any disruption. The other option is to "borrow" units off maintenance allocations. For example if there are problems with 444 units a 450 can step up to cover the duty. (Rather grim for Waterloo to Weymouth!) Most of the time a minibus would cover the loadings apart from weekdays for student traffic to and from Brockenhurst 6th form college. The other problem is the long winded road journey to serve Lymington Pier. To cover a half hourly train service for engineering works takes three buses which undermines any perceived economies.

As I said earlier there will be more spare 158 units when those on hire to East Midlands Trains return south.

Cheers, Neil

PS Now rumoured that a test trip for 158 stock may take place late April. Presumably on a Sunday morning before the service starts.

4. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Not a rumour Neil...A fact

5. John2

John2 Member

The Community Rail Partnership continues with the branch using more modern rolling stock like elsewhere. There is spare capacity within the 158 fleet with 7 diagrams for 11 units. Will Bournemouth crews learn 158s or will Fratton learn the Lymington Branch?

John.

6. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    John

I dont believe Bomo SWT drivers are mixed traction, anymore. So it will probably be Fratton Drivers!

7. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Isn't Bournemouth still a main depot??

8. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Could also be Salisbury drivers

9. portline

portline Member

Speaking to the bournemouth trainer at the weekend he was under the impression that the slammers were running until 2013

10. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

There was a short bit on BBC South Today tonight about them leaving (just before a bit about the swanage!) - i'd be suprised if they ran that without confirming with SWT they were going.

Chris

11. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Looks that this cut is essentially down to cost (surprise!) The BBC report stated the age of the stock meant there was difficulty obtaining spares and then closed with a comment regarding their safety post Clapham.

SWT are cutting costs because this is "payback" year 1. The maintenance of heritage rolling stock is, I guess, something they think they can do without. Which kind of goes completely against the reason they kept the slammers in the first place - because they didn't want to spend out on "newer" units for the branch. ](*,)

12. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Did they say when?

13. Christopher125

Dont think so, but if you want to check you can watch it back on the bbc website.

Chris

14. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

No - nothing concrete, merely the suggestion that it would be sooner rather than later. Seems rather sad after all the effort they went to launching it, even celebrating the line's anniversary last year.

When NR relaid the line, the original plan was to forget electrification and extend the 159s from the Romsey/Totton run. Much ruffling of feathers later, NR restored the track, laid in the 3rd rail and SWT provided a couple of slammers to operate the service.

With the new ferries, and their new, extended, timetable - perhaps the quick turn-arounds at Lymington are no longer needed.

15. Christopher125

I thought the relaying of the line was done after the service was relaunched? Anyway, as nice as it was, it was never going to last forever, and if one or both of them continue their mainline career then it wont be as much of a loss as it could've been.

Regarding the new ferries, they'll be back to the old timings in due course, but they're waiting for the third vessel to act as a backup while they iron out all the teething issues. It'll also help when they get the safety certificate finalised and retired yacht-owning nimby idiots in Lymington cant interfere anymore... ;)

Chris

16. John2

John2 Member

There was certainly no plan to de-electrify the Lymington branch when it was relaid. The idea of this and extending the Totton terminators to Lymington was mooted on another internet forum and caused great amusement to SWT and Network staff.

17. stepney60

I suppose the good thing about this is that five years or so down the line from when they started operating the service on the Lymmy, the preservation movement is more likely to get it's backside in gear and find a way of preserving them.

18. Christopher125

Fingers crossed they'll end up at Eastleigh..

19. Slash

Slash Member

Ballast monkey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Do we need to preserve them? They are completely different inside as to when they were used in anger. There has been alot of stuff taken into Preservation and not done alot since
    I can think of aload of stock in South East Kent that manages 20 miles a year {5 round trips of 4 miles} and that's provided that the annual coat of Green paint has been applied in time for the one day event

20. stepney60

Better to preserve them and then find we don't need them than not preserve them and then discover that we missed a golden opportunity. I doubt the A1SLT could find support to rebuild a 3CIG