If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lymington Branch changes ?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Romsey, Mar 13, 2009.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Didn't seem that way when I took a trip last year.

In what way are they different?

2. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    I think that what they mean, is that the unit is one coach short, but if Knights Rail do purchase the Green Unit 1498, then they have a spare coach from unit 1884. That way they have an 8 Car CIG for specials; if they go down that road. 1498 on the Lymmy branch is intact!

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Exactly - while there are probably more than enough CIG's preserved on heritage lines, fingers crossed they'll end up with KRS and used on the mainline. I dont see how anyone could object to that possibility :)

Chris

4. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

And let's face it, the more that are preserved, the larger the pool of stock to be called on.

5. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Chris, IMHO we are in a new chartered waters with slammers on specials. Will enthusiasts go on these specials? Maybe Admin would do a poll, to see if the interest is there.

Knights Rail would have to make a profit to maintain the units. OTMR, CDL is not cheap, and the ED would have to be fitted. Track charges has to be paid for, along with A,B, and C exams which are expensive. So I dont honestly that a bigger pool at this time comes into it. I sincerely hope it works, as I would enjoy a day out.

Then there is the question of spare parts which are thin on the ground. They will need to manufacture items themselves, in order to keep the units running. Just like it was renovating and preserving a Steam Engine?

6. Christopher125

I can see where your coming from, but i think its clear that Mr Knight is not expecting to make a profit - he's doing it because he wants to see slammers out on the mainline, and he has the workforce, facilities, and the money from a succesful company to do it with. I think you could draw a comparison with the Hastings lads down at St Leonards; their commercial work allows them to indulge in what they enjoy, running Hastings units on the mainline, even if its not that profitable.

(There's various threads on the restoration of the 421 and 73 over at wnxx if you're interested, including input from the owner 'fregbert')

Chris

7. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Chris

With respect, I dont think that one can draw the same comparison with HDG. they have shareholders, as well as a good Chairman with John White; whom I know quite well. The difference, also is John picked up a lot of spare parts from BR from other Hastings Diesels, even prior to purchasing the units.

In respect of the CIGs, majority of spare parts at maintenance depots were binned, under privatisation. I believe in all honesty, that was the operators way of getting the new stock to work all diagrams quicker. So as I said, Mr Knight will have a headache I believe in acquiring parts. I hope Im wrong, but having worked on the said units for many years, I dont think so?

8. Christopher125

Fair enough, i must admit im not all that aware of how the setup at St Leonards works.

To be brutally honest, in the next ten years i would not be at all suprised to see quite a few 'preserved' 3rd rail units get scrapped and along with the two spare 4CIG's owned by Bruce and perhaps one of the Lymington units as well, i'd be suprised if spare parts became a problem for a couple of 421's operating occasional trips.

Chris

9. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Just receved news that both 1497, and 1498 are due A exams. So that is not good news!

10. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I saw a photo the other day of 1497 and was going to ask this sometime back... how is the unit doing in comparrison to 1498? As both of the units in the photo I saw were coupled together..

11. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    What is your definiton of an "A" exam?

Reason for asking is that they dont actually have A exams.

12. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    If I recall correctly a full exam = C exam?

13. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    They have a B exam every 4,000 miles.

A CPM every 28(if my memory serves me correct) days.

Then they also have UAT's and C4's. Am unsure of the mileage intervals between UAT'sand C4's.

14. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Its the C4s, that are due then, the "biggy"

I wasnt involved in the maintenance side, I only drove them, and been retired a few years

15. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Yes C4's.

One has about 160K to go and the other is over 200k before C4 is due

16. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

UAT every 3 years. Except when the axle is over 40 years old, then its 18 months. But, there are plenty of exceptions. For a start, 73s are locos on EMU bogies, so they used to be UAT every 18 months. Now 9 months, expect when the operators have sucessfully secured dispenstation back to 18 months.
    Cl.33 remain 3 years between UAT despite being nearly 50 years old, becuase the axles are rather robust. Don't know about others, but I hope you get the gist.

17. Slash

Slash Member

Ballast monkey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I had a ride on 1497 the other night and i thought it was looking abit tatty inside. Some of the light tubes needed replacing and the seat trim was getting thread bare. One of the compressors was sounding pretty rough aswell. It still moved quite nicely though =P~

18. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anybody know if a slammer is in action today? Thinking of a visit to the seaside this afternoon.

19. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Yes of of the 400's is on the branch......not sure which one though...

20. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Reading SR Mag today on page 18. The local town council is proposing to cut the line and create a new public space next to the riverside. But this is unpopular with local residents?
    ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)