If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple Grant

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SpudUk, Feb 12, 2013.

1. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The L&B guys were next to our Sierra Leon NRM stand at Fawley Hill on Saturday and Sunday - and I took some time to have a look at what's going on. There's a clear strategy for growth and a sensible business plan to back it up. Things really are happening.

2. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

From what i've seen i can only agree with you on that, i wonder what's the chance of WHHR Russel taking a trip down there in the future ?

3. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    No I do not currently volunteer
    GeoffS75 and MuzTrem like this.
  4. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Not sure I'd describe LSWR livery as "terracotta"? I agree that the reference to salmon pink is distinctive, though. I must admit, I've always wondered what an L&B train would look like in full LSWR livery...!

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

LSWR livery is normally described as "chocolate" and salmon pink I think.

That notwithstanding, I've just looked through both Leslie Catchpole's L&B book, and Brown / Prideaux / Radcliffe, and neither mention the terracotta / salmon pink livery, instead both say the original livery was reddish-brown lower panels and varnished white upper panels. Is there a definite source for the terracotta / salmon pink reference? There are a couple of clear pictures in B/P/R supposedly from just before the official opening, that clearly show a two-tone livery with three garters on each side, as described by Lynbarn58, but being black and white, it is ambiguous whether the two-tone livery is terracotta and salmon pink or red and white.

Tom

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

You could try getting the image computer-colourised. The LNERCA did this with a compartment picture of a convertible sleeper, that was the best picture of the moquette that we wished to replicate. The company who did it were given no info, but the colourised pic was more or less as we envisioned it.

There's a thread on computer colourisation here:

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=f96b4d154b198f60ee539a8f8aef3bcb

but you may have to register to view it - some very interesting pics there, though, so its worth registering if you have to.

7. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Give it a few years and RUSSELL will probably be allowed out to play, but he has to stay at home for a while until he has proved he is a good boy and can behave! Depending on the speed of the turn around GELERT maybe the first to visit?

8. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    No I do not currently volunteer
  9. 61624

I wonder if they'll turn up at Shllcross!

10. Nvincer

Nvincer New Member

My money was on Statfold!

I look forward to seeing what they do with these lovely coaches.

11. 61624

My first thought was Statfold too, but with the extension under way at the South Tynedale perhaps that's another possibility. I only really mention Shallcross in the hope of tesing out some more background on what is there and why it is there - for example : is it an embryonic new railway? Where's the loco to go with the tender?

12. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    There were three principal coach liveries during the lifetime of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway:
    • From 1897 to 1901, coaching stock was described as being "Terracotta and Light Salmon";
    • Between c.1901 to c.1922, it was changed to "Indian Red" and "Creamy White"; and
    • From 1924 to closure in 1935, stock was painted in the Southern Railway "Olive Green" with "Orange" lining.
    It should be noted that repainting stock was not achieved overnight and actually took a few years to complete from the changes commencing in 1901 and 1924.

Chris

13. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

14. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

I wonder what colours Statfold will repaint them into?

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  15. Nvincer

Nvincer New Member

Well they were only recently repainted to a high standard by the LBR. But possibly brown & cream as per the rest of their stock?

16. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Silly question, why did they sell them anyway ?

17. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Maybe time you checked out the L&B website? It has all the news about the 3 (soon to be 4) heritage coaches (much larger and more impressive than the Thorpe Park ones). With the new coaches there was no need and no room for the old ones. So, reason for sale! ;)

18. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

As a matter of fact i did check the site out but only finding reference to difference of size i didn't find a suitable reply to my question, that is, the reason for selling, unless of course i didn't look in the right place, obviously you're more in the know than me so thank you kindly for your reply.

19. meeee

meeee Member

I can't speak for anyone at the L&B but i suspect that the answer is that a fleet of coaches built for 10 minuite run around a theme park (even if they have been nicely done up) are not really suitable for the railway as it grows in size. Longer journeys need more comfort and with the 4th heritage coach on the way there would seem little point having these other coaches taking up space. Especially if they will be unsuitable for the railway in the future.

Tim

20. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Very true about the need for better coaches and maybe the sale frees up funds for other exciting projects.