If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My thoughts exactly

2. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer

As I understand it the loop was suggested as a means to be able to run a two train service and as such Parracombe would not be the ideal site for a loop. But if a loop was required, then it would have to be nearer to Blackmoor to balance the timetable up a bit, however the trackbed south of Parracombe dose not hold out any easy areas to install a loop, the one person who could help out here is the same person complaining about the railway in the first place.

When you look at the way the L&BR was first build you can see that Woody Bay is near as dam it in the middle between Blackmoor and Lynton so once that whole section had been rebuilt there would be no need for a loop at Parracombe.

In reality it would only be high days and bank holidays that you would need to use the loop during the year anyway. Most of the time a round trip of about 3/4's of an hour* will meet most people needs for now

* this would be a round trip from Blackmoor to Woody Bay and back.

Regards

Colin

3. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Thanks for the reply Colin.

And yes, perhaps the best solution to this then would be to insist that the loop is strictly temporary, even going so far as to sign some law binding contract that the loop can only be there for a set number of years.

Though that being said, that might not be enough for those people either... with many of them expressing concern as to what happens if the railway fails and closes down, yikes! They certainly don't have much faith in the project do they? But then again... nor probably did the folks objecting to the WHR, and we all know how that turned out...

The bit that particularly catches me out in the report I find, is the suggestion that the people from the L&B have been pushy and not consulting them... Surely this aspect can't be true can it? The L&B team seemed to have been doing a pretty good job and being polite as they can be about it.

Perhaps their just accusing the L&B team of this, because they assumed they were just some foolish group with toy trains that would disappear and come to nothing anyway, only to find to their surprise and annoyance their very much still here, and will not be quitting their ambition anytime soon... If anything, it's only grown stronger in support and resolve as time has passed by.

4. Beckford

Beckford Guest

I would be very surprised if anyone has been "pushy" or anything remotely like it, however some words and expressions can be taken out of context. There are clearly sensitivities which need careful handling.

lynbarn likes this.
  5. lynbarn

One of the biggest problems we have and I was just as guilty about this in the early days is that we were all so full of confidence at the time that we all felt that it would only be a matter of months before we got the whole line open, but as we all know this did not happen, but like I have said before, there have been a number of attempts to contact these people over the years, and now it can't help if all they hear are the tourist's from the train walking into Parracombe and having a meal at the Fox and Goose and singing the praise's of the railway.

I too would not appreciate having to hear that all the time either. I do have some sympathy for them, but at the same time it erk's me to think that should farming continue the way it is, then I do wonder how many working farms there will be left in North Devon, at least with a (heritage?) railway in the area they could easily set up a tourist based B&B and make some money out of this whole thing as well.

I cant recall who said it in the first place, but I was told that this part of North Devon could become a very successful service provider area if they wanted to on the back of the railway, just how they make there money will be up to them, but I am sure once the railway becomes part and parcel of the area, people will look back and ask what was all the fuss about.

6. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

"erk"? What was that about a fall in educational standards?;)

7. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

If a deal re the purchase of Fairview by the L&BR (or Exmoor Associates etc) has been agreed, then this is a very significant step forward if it proceeds to completion.

It will unfortunately for the owners of 'The Halt' bungalow on the site of Parracombe Halt have an affect on their property valuation. So it is swings and roundabouts if 'Fairview ' cost more than expected, though it has I think been on sale at a price of £415,000 for quite awhile.

I can see the need for a run round loop at Parracombe if the extension is to Parracombe first. However this is contrary to the plans and proposals set out in the 2 multiple planning applications.

The WHR never had to deal with such problems.

Cheers,
    Julian

8. lynbarn

Yes :oops: OK point taken, should have said annoyed or just how many r's do you put in grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :Arghh: :).

I should also have said what a wonderful language English is. I have been told it is the only one that keeps evolving on a daily basis:D

It is no wonder the rest of the world can't understand us.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  9. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Sorry Colin, whoever told you that English was the only language evolving on a daily basis was talking through their aristotle :)
    All languages are evolving and English isn't doing it much faster than any other. (Got my linguistics professorial hat on here :) )

10. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    But the WHR did put in an abortive loop near Betws Garmon after revising the likely crossing point patterns.

11. lynbarn

I take my hat off to you sir for the correction:Sorry: :Eggonface:

Felix Holt likes this.
  12. meeee

meeee Member

If it came to it though you could run trains through to Wistlandpound then cross them at Blackmoor Gate. This would give you about and hour and a half frequency with 1 train or 45 with 2. That's similar to most lines of a similar length. Trains heading to Woody Bay would have to wait at Blackmoor Gate maybe 20ish minutes of course. This may not be a bad thing if you are encouraging people to start their journey there and there are plenty of facilities for them. It also gives you loco and crew servicing time there.

Tim

13. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

I'm sure that the L&B team have various alternative scenarios for the Parracombe problem as fall-back options should it be necessary. Obviously, one requests the best possible option but is prepared for alternatives.
    As this is an open forum, it probably doesn't do to bang on about what the L&B should or shouldn't do as regards passing loops, bungalows, houses etc. Let's not give any ammunition to the nimbys!!

Meiriongwril, Beckford and lynbarn like this.
  14. lynbarn

Hi Tim

I think that is the long term plan, the only thing is that as far as I am aware, the first part of the re-building is only to Blackmoor, with Wistlandpound being a second phase project so until that is built we shall need a passing loop.

That said there are a number of options that could be carried out, should we face any delays on the Parracombe section.

I have heard that both the Blackmoor to Wistlandpound and the Woody Bay to Lynton sections could both be activated and rebuilt before we do Parracombe, there is no foundation in this, it just what I have been told, this does not mean we will give up on the Parracombe section far from it, it will mean that if the Woody Bay - Lynton section gets built next, instead of the Parracombe to Blackmoor section, it could well be that it will add yet more pressure from other groups of people in North Devon to get the whole railway built.

Like I have said before, these are my views on what could happen and are nothing to do with an official L&BRT view point.

15. MPR

MPR New Member

16. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

I do not agree with Felix Holt.

The planning applications are a matter of public debate, and anyone can view the details, online these days at a few clicks on the computer.

However it would appear that some of the 'hurdles' at Parracombe are slowly being overcome in advance of the 2 planning bodies' decisions.

That is very significant progress!

I have a view that is is based on quite well founded inside info as to how things will now proceed, but I wont say anymore at the present time on this aspect of the matter. I am quite sure Lynbarn has the same view as me plus inside info!

My grandma travelled regularly on the old L&BR in the early 30's, and she met my grandpa at Porlock in 1934. Even into old age my grandma could recall all the names of the locos.

Cheers,
    Julian

Miff and lynbarn like this.
  17. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Julian, are you actually an L&B member (or indeed a WSRA member considering your irritating remarks about that situation)? If not, your continued pontifications about the railway are a tad wearisome. If your inside info comes from the railway, I'm sure they'll appreciate your breaking their confidence; if it comes from the planners then again breaking the planners confidence is perhaps even worse. If it's simply that you know how these things work from experience, then the comments are less than useful.

Felix Holt likes this.
  18. lynbarn

I would just like to say how much I do appreciate the amount of work, time and effort the Trustees, Company Directors and all the planning team have all put in so far, it is not all about getting up at 6 o'clock and getting a steam locomotive and train set ready for the day, there are so many behind the scene skills which are not always considered in rebuilding a heritage style railway.

That said I would also like to thank those on the ground doing what they do to keep this railway open and basically anyone who has done anything towards the rebuilding of this railway, you know who you are. Thanks all:).

19. Beckford

Beckford Guest

The sun shone at Woody Bay today showing it all at its best and I very much endorse Mr Lynbarn's remarks. I take my hat off to all those who are bringing this wonderful railway back to life.

JMJR1000, lynbarn and Felix Holt like this.
  20. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Exmoor National Park Authority postpone decision on L&B's planning application until an unspecified meeting after a site visit on 13 May.
    :Morewaitingisrequired:

Felix Holt likes this.