If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well even if the PP was refused, it still makes sense for the L&B to keep buying and restoring the trackbed for a future date when attitudes may have changed. Having said that, I expect the PP will be granted (no insider knowledge, just my own hope/thoughts).
    I believe that the L&B management have been investigating this and I think there was mention that they had had some preliminary talks with some potential funding bodies.

Keith

2. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    I suspect the L&B will be a touch late for European Regiobal Development funding.:)

Instetesting to see what UK equivalent )if any) replaces that....

Robin

3. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It all depends on when the PP is approved, the Trust could still apply for EU funding as we are still in the EU. The UK Gov has indicated that it will continue to fund all applications that have been made and granted before we leave the EU. That said it is our money in the first place which goes in to these funds, all that will happen is it will go from the Gov to the Project and not via Brussels as it does now. I could see that these sort of project's that require funding will have to rely more on Heritage Lottery Funds or as has been rumored a proposed regional infrastructure funds. What ever is set up in its place you can be assured that it is not going to be easy to get the sort of money the L&BR is going to require.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I think there is some admirable creativity being used - Fairview is being acquired by the Trust, but then sold on to a supporter minus the land needed for the railway reinstatement, so this particular problem will be solved at little or no cost.

Black Jim and The Dainton Banker like this.
  5. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

It says they own the track bed to Parracombe halt now. Will that be the next extension phase? How far is this and how soon until they start?

6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Parracombe Halt is not owned by the L&B - as I understand it, the halt is currently owned by a fierce opponent of the rebuilt railway. The L&B/EA own the trackbed up to the bridge just before the halt.

As I understand it, the plan is to build the extension to blackmoor first, as that will be where the new workshops and HQ will be. However, I guess with all projects like this, things can change.

Any extension has to wait until PP has been granted. It will also require a TWAO before any trains can run.

Keith

7. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

The purchase of Fairview is very welcome news, and resolves one potential problem in Parracombe with planning, and possibly the most important due to the closeness of the house to the railway. I wouldnt mind living in Fairview!

The Parracombe Halt site might hopefully go the same way. The owners do not live there currently.

Cheers,
    Julian

Black Jim likes this.
  8. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

What about moving the line to the other side of Church Lane, and build a new Parracombe Halt to overcome this problem, yes two new bridges would have to be built with one to cross Church Lane at the south end of the Parracombe Halt and the other end under the lane leading to Fairview and the other property down that lane.

9. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Far cheaper to buy people out, even at exorbitant valuations. Also, my advice is never to stray from the original trackbed if you can.

lynbarn likes this.
  10. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Fairview would make a terrific holiday home, but I'm glad that barrier has been resolved. Parracombe halt next!

brmp201 likes this.
  11. Charobin

Charobin Member

Parracombe Halt has allegedly been bought by the Grobs as a blocking move.

No decision from ENPA regards planning until March 2017 at earliest.

It's not going to be quick and easy!

SpudUk likes this.
  12. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Neither of these claims have appeared officially as far as I am aware. Could you tell us where you heard these two pieces of 'news', especially given your known lukewarm approach to the whole L&B enterprise?

Meiriongwril likes this.
  13. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    A truism is that the more you talk about a piece of land publicly, the higher the price becomes.

However, the Land Registry is open to public inspection (for a small fee) and so the land ownership of Parracombe Halt is not a secret matter, nor one that needs to be dealt with on the basis of 'I understand'. The facts are available.

Robin

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  14. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

The well-known house-selling website RightMove will also show you the Land Registry's sales data, to enable you to compare prices. I don't know how long it takes for data to become available after completion, but a simple search shows nothing changing hands since July - see http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-pr...tifier=REGION^19381&searchLocation=Parracombe

15. Charobin

Charobin Member

Could you tell me why I should inform an anonymous individual on the internet of the sources, especially given that I am often asked not to publicly disclose where info has originated?

Feel free to take the info at face value and believe it or not as you wish; as you appear to take umbrage with nearly every post I make I am not particularly fussed.

SpudUk likes this.
  16. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Wow - great get-out. Post any old thing on NatPres and then claim you can't give any evidence because you've been asked not to disclose it!!
    By the way - I can't disclose who told me this, because I promised not to, but more than one high-ranking L&B person has warned that your posts on the L&B need to be taken with a pinch of the salty stuff :)

17. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Anyone with £4 to spend, sufficient curiosity and access to the internet can discover who owns Parracombe Halt (or pretty much anywhere else)

Robin

paullad1984 and Forestpines like this.
  18. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Calm down you two

Beckford, JMJR1000 and paullad1984 like this.
  19. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    You are both in the public eye here. It's just making us ( the l&b as a general) look like bickering kids.

Mitch. l&b fireman..... no hiding

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2016
    SpudUk and Axe like this.
  20. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Sorry, but Felix is absolutely right. You have to call out folk whose posts about the L&B quite often seem to be designed to spread doom and gloom about the project.
    It's quite probable that Exmoor NP won't make a decision until well into next year though they've not announced when, but it's much less probable that Parracombe Halt has been bought by anyone recently (apart from the fact it is not owned separately from the bungalow as far as I know).
    But, the OP's habit of announcing information without giving sources and then refusing to give the sources is not acceptable. Apart from anything else, why would anyone put secrecy requirements on a supposed property sale which (as Robin has pointed out) can readily be checked as it's in the public domain (well for a few quid)?