If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway 10th Anniversary: Looking To The Past & Future

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by JMJR1000, Aug 2, 2014.

1. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Quite right Tim, she in fact (as far as I can tell) seems to be the only one standing in objection of it so far, quite a contrast to WHR's bumping beginnings with the locals.
    Considering the ranting she going about doing, it wouldn't surprise me if she ends up outside one of the consoltation meetings with a protest board of sorts chanting "Keep it sleepeth!!"

Still as is often said, it's a free country and she can say what she pleases, albeit on her own with few if any listening...

2. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One does wonder in cases like this if the reaction is deliberate bloody-mindedness from people who know well they are propagating half and un-truths, or whether it is a psychological condition that has led to their inhabiting a fantasy world of their own invention...?Felix Holt, post: 1139560, member: 8295.

More likely just attention seeking from a faded model. Sad.:Bawling:

3. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

The attempted sale of the property in 2005 is of interest. I assume the Grobs are still in the original house? (Confusingly called on the "outskirts of Barnstaple" in the original news report of their opposition.) If 10 years ago they wanted to move to Taunton - and presumably couldn't find a buyer, one might assume their opposition is indeed linked to possible affects on the price of the reinstatement...?

4. Charobin

Charobin Member

It would be naive to think this is the only objection to the plans; it wouldn't be a railway preservation scheme without a few land owners of the 'over my dead body' persuasion!

5. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Now here is something to start a debate.
    Have property prices adjacent to newly opened heritage railways actually fallen? Have property prices next to the Bluebell in East Grinstead actually taken a nose dive? The data on Zoopla suggests not. It would be an interesting exercise to undertake. It might be of interest to the L&B for dealings with their neighbours.

MuzTrem likes this.
  6. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

So true, I do try to avoid being naive, but my enthusiasm does tend to contradict that. :D Yes it's inevitable they'll be those who'll object to it, a project of this scale is bound to.

Whether it'll have the same mountain to climb (pun unintended) as the WHR yet remains to be seen, though fortunately support appears very positive for now, and long may it be so.

Looking at the ins and outs of this scheme, the ones who'll most likely make a noise will (like the Grubs) be the landowners, both around and in its path.

Understandably nobody likes something to come along and potentially force you to sell off your land, and have such intrusions. But then again they've all probably been aware of it for sometime now, and as someone has already said, their not going to force someone to give their land, much discussion and a reasonable agreement of price will be done to avoid that.

7. philw2

philw2 Member

I am disappointed with the design of the sheds at Blackmoor..

There is no 'architecture' at all. Surely, any new structure should enhance existing standards not subtract from them?

Also, from a function point of view, internal gutters are problematic and an overall roof would would give more internal height for lifting gear or overhead crane etc.

8. Kempenfelt 82e

Kempenfelt 82e New Member

Overall i'm very impressed with the work that has gone into the preparation of the documents.

To me the idea including the old Blackmoor Gate station in its ammended form makes much more sense to me than the idea of building a brand new station. I like the intention of improving the exterior face (platform side) of the old station as part of its expansion so that it more closely resembles the look of the original station when compared to its current expanded form.

The sheds at Blackmoor also look pretty sympathetic in my eyes, following the roof line and basic layout of those that used to stand at Pilton Yard. I'm intrigued as to where the crossover for the run round is to be situated and I would have liked to have seen the inclusion of the old Pilton turntable, purhaps this could be included between the main line and the sheds? I also assume that provison for the unloading of loco's and stock delivered by road is included with the design of the road layout, however I couldn't see any mention on the plans for this facility.

The loop at Parracombe although not original does make operational sense. The proposed housing too I would imagine would be considered more sympathetic to most than the existing bungelow.

I like the intention to reinstate Parracombe bank as appose to the use of the previously suggested bow string bridge. I feel the original bank was one of the defining features of the original line and the suggested approach goes a long way towards recreating this.

One area I wasn't so impressed with was the design for Bridge 56a. I suspect that the design incorporating the concrete tubular portal is probably a cheaper alternative and has been successfully used on the WHR. However, I would have prefered a more traditional look to the bridge if possible. I'd imaging this would also be the case for other reinstated bridges.

The reinstatement is clearly going to require a lot of hard work to achieve. Particular obsticles being the agreement to purchase the bungelow in Parracombe and the agreement/negotiation required for the Old Station Inn at Blackmoor (I assume purchase of the property would be the prefered scenario here as appose to a lease agreement with the current owners?). Also a lot of the land through Parracombe is going to require careful negotiation, the existing objection from the Grob's being one of several I suspect.

All in all a very ambitious but professional set of documents! It looks like the next decade could be extremely interesting for the reinstatement of the L&B should the plans be approved!

Best Wishes

Paul

9. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I heard someone mention before that Pilton Turntable still existed, though I'm curious, where has it been in all this time? Certainly it would be nice to include it at some point, ideally where everyone can view it.

I can understand your issue, I'd prefer all design on this project to be sensitive to the area's beauty and heritage. I suppose if this is still in the early stages of planning though, is it possible this supposed design for it is still work in progress?

Indeed much effort and careful handling will be required, it can be so easy to turn public opinion against you if not handled correctly. Though saying that they've done a good job so far in piecing a good number of sections back together, all hopes then that they can continue the good progress so far.

10. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    I think that the turntable went to the RHDR.

Cheers

Alan

11. ChrisBridges

ChrisBridges New Member

12. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Ah I see, thanks for sharing that. It looks worse for wear though doesn't it? Perhaps when the time is right, they could look into grant funding for it's restoration.

13. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
  14. ChrisBridges

ChrisBridges New Member

I have found a couple more pictures and bit more information:
    http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/story/work-progress-18th-October
    It does say it "may feature within the future track layout at the Blackmoor engine and carriage sheds", so I am guessing that they decided against it in the end. Having looked at the plans if all goes ahead I am very much looking forward to travelling on the extension when the time comes!
    Thanks Chris

15. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

But as has been seen at Boston Lodge, layouts can be changed and updated, so I guess that means the turntable may eventually be added to the layout if funds permit to restore it...

16. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The important thing is that it has survived this far. A lick of paint and us as a car park barrier with a collection tin might bring in a few pennies for further restoration...

17. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
  18. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

One point about the scheme does puzzle me. Everything I've seen previously has implied fitting around the Blackmoor Gate Inn, but these plans are much more involved. I'm curious about what has changed, as it's hard to see how these plans reconcile with the business as it is/was (I'm getting an error when I try to open their website).

19. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

That part of the plan did surprise me, as I know for years they'd been talking about building a whole new larger station building at Blackmoor adjacent to the old one, which I always thought was a polite gesture on their part to the people who owns the old place.
    I'm sure nobody here would like people continuiosly going about a plan that involved sweeping you aside now would they?

Now though that plan seems to have changed, which makes me believe that perhaps the owners of the old building have expressed to the railway at some point, that they are in fact willing to sell the property to them.

20. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest