If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GN 50 - Anniversary Gala on the NNR

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NNR Webmaster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    The North Norfolk Railway is planning one of the biggest steam gala's it has ever held to mark 50 years since the closure of the majority of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway system.

The event will be held on five days, on Friday 27 February to Sunday 1 March 2009 and also on the following weekend, Saturday and Sunday the 7 and 8 March 2009.

B1 1306 Mayflower and 4MT 76079 are already booked to attend. Further visiting engines are being negotiated.

All of the confirmed details so far are available at:

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/steam_gala.htm

Further ideas being discussed (but not yet confirmed) include vintage bus tours around the old M&GN system pointing out buildings and places of interest en route.

2. 76079

76079 Member

How on earth did you manage to convince Mr Riley to put an engine on a low loader????!!!!

Or is this a hint that your new mainline connection will be in by then?

3. Owen

Owen New Member

I think Mr.Riley was sent a very special photograph of some big tools :-#

4. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Thirty years ago the AGM was held in Norwich and for a break we were taken on a coach to Norwich Victoria where a coach was being restored before going to Sherringham. Just a suggestion could one of the days and/or evenings be advertised as a reunion for all those of us who've worked on the NNR in the past?

Late 70s/early 80s there was a former M&GN man who came to Sherringham every Satuday to watch the line in action. I appreciate they'll all be pensioners by now, but presumably there are still some people around who worked on the line before closure? If so, how about sitting them down and recording some memories before it's too late?

5. agalpin

agalpin Member

The coach you are refferring to is the Gresley Buffet coach that is still in service now.

There are already several oral history CDs which are for sale through the museum at Holt.
    As for the old M&GN Men they are thin on the ground these days but we still get Alan Baker coming down and making a nuisance of himself. He must be in his late seventies now. Ron Bowyer who was a our chairman for a few years is still active as a volunteer and can usually be found at Sheringham during the Santa Special season with one of his musical organs.

It is the fiftieth anniversary of the M&GN Society too and they are plannning on several different occasions throughout 2009.

We have been thinking about getting all the surviving old boys together later next year too.

I'll certainly mention the idea of a reunion for all past volunteers too...

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I think the Idea of a coach tour around the old M&GN system would be nice, maybe try and convince the people at Melton Constable industrial estate to do some tours inside etc.
    An vintage bus connecting Whitwell with Holt would be great too. Possibility open Weybourne works for one of the days.
    Just a few ideas anyway
    The oral history CDs are good to listen and well worth buying

7. 3855

3855 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sounds like a good event with some proper engines attending, its in the diary i'll be there!

8. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    Some more loco's been added today:

4F 0-6-0 44422 and Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway A Class 1300 as well as the other two previously mentioned.

Will be down there from the Wednesday before the event till the sunday of the final weekend.

Gives me something to think about while slaving away at work!

9. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    2MT 78019 has now been added to the lineup.

The fares for the event have been finalised and bookings are now being taken. £1 off per ticket if purchased more than a week in advance.

As a one-off for this gala only, anybody who is a member of the M&GN Joint Railway Society is entitled to a discounted ticket upon proof of membership.

Full details including online booking at:

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/steam_gala.htm

10. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Great stuff, I see a nice generous discount for members, looking forward to seeing the quads in action

is anyone is interested (saw these pics on the website), this was Melton constable Junction
    http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/new ... nction.jpg

this is the site today, note the building to the left of the signal box which can be seen in the background (to the left of the space in the trees)
    [​IMG]

This is at Melton constable station
    http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/new ... tation.jpg
    and this is roughly the site today
    [​IMG]

11. Ben32G

Ben32G New Member

THAT'S YER LOT – 50 years since the closure of the M&GN

With only 9 weeks (or just 68 days) to go before one of 2009's biggest galas gets underway(!), I'd be interested to know what people think of the event and what's being planned? Will you be attending?

For those of you that don't know what's in store, see below:

When the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway closed in 1959 they said ‘That’s Yer Lot’. How wrong they were! 50 years on don’t miss the North Norfolk Railway’s biggest ever steam gala, with the unique chance to see eight steam locos representing types that worked the line in its heyday.

The event will take place over two weekends: Friday 27th February – Sunday 1st March and Saturday 7th – Sunday 8th March 2009

Guest locos: B1 1306 ‘Mayflower’, 4MT 76079, 4F 44422, 2MT 78019 and L&Y 'A' 1300. Home fleet: J15 65462, N7 69621 and WD 90775.

Intensive timetable on all five days. (Friday 27th Feb, guest locos only), also featuring the Gresley Quad-Arts and a goods train.

Free vintage rail replacement buses. Free travel between all our stations (with a valid train ticket) on Eastern Counties liveried Bristol Lodekka Type LD and Half Cab Type LL buses!

Dining and real trains on 28th February.

Vintage coach tour of the M&GN with commentary provided by railway historian Adrian Vaughan. Sundays only, two routes: Sheringham – Whitwell & Reepham – Norwich City, Sheringham – Melton – Fakenham – Massingham, £8 or both for £15.

More info at http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/steam_gala.htm

Cheers
    Ben Boggis
    'That's Yer Lot' gala team

12. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I've been hoping to visit the line for a while now and this gala has given me the incentive to make that extra effort. I've already booked my cheap ticket from Liverpool St to Sheringham (£12 return) so I'm looking forward to my first visit along with an interesting selection of locos.
    Good luck with the 'new' level crossing and the gala.

Regards,

Paul

13. Owen

Owen New Member

Just to add to Ben's post, the line-up as confirmed now includes:

B1 4-6-0 1306 Mayflower
    [​IMG]

Riley's 2-6-0 4MT 76079 "Pocket Rocket"
    [​IMG]

Midland/LMS 0-6-0 4F 44422
    [​IMG]

Lancashire and Yorkshire 0-6-0 A Class 1300
    [​IMG]

BR 2-6-0 2MT 78019
    [​IMG]

Plus

WD 2-10-0 90775
    [​IMG]
    Ben Boggis

GER N7 0-6-2T 69621
    [​IMG]
    Alex Fowles

GER J15 0-6-0 65462
    [​IMG]
    Dave Ballard

And the
    Award Winning Gresely Quad-Articulated Set
    [​IMG]

"Demolition Train"/Demonstration Freight Train
    [​IMG]

An event not to be missed!

14. 37255

37255 Guest

No Ring Haw? Seems suprising if it will have been recently completed :s

Looks a good lineup nonetheless, but needs an industrial! :D

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I hear its off the churnet valley

16. Ben32G

Ben32G New Member

Yes, it's planned that Ring Haw will be on the road in the new year.

If you come to Norfolk craving industrial action, then (after a day and a half at the NNR you can) head across to the former M&GN station at Whitwell and Reepham, which will be opening its doors to the public for the first time in fifty years. The station will play host to visiting Peckett No. 2000, returning to its East Anglian roots having formally worked at British Sugar Corporation in Ipswich.

More info about Whitwell at: http://www.whitwellstation.com/. The transformation of this site in just a few months has been very impressive.

17. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

18. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    I think its due to work the Mince Pie specials coming up between boxing day and January the 4th I think.

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ill see if I can pop up there then for a mince pie

20. Owen

Owen New Member

As Joe said, Ring Haw will be running from Boxing Day onwards with the Mince Pies. I had a go in it the other day when steam tests were being done in the yard, its a lovely bit of kit.

Back to the Gala, and this is the poster for the event which has useful information.

[​IMG]

Owen