If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GN 50 - Anniversary Gala on the NNR

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NNR Webmaster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Im going to see about going on the bus tour from Sheringham to Norwich city, Does anyone know if the tour will just pass Whitwell station or stay for a little while.

2. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I remember Ring Haw entering service after a restoration 30 years ago. The cab sides were so smoooooth, they felt like silk against your hand. A quirk of this loco though were the injectors. The trick was to first turn on the stem a quarter of the way, then open water all the way and then continue to open steam all the way. I never had it explained though why R H's injectors should differ from those on most other locos.

3. 3855

3855 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All Hunslet 16" locos were fitted with Gresham and Craven lifting injectors and the big RSH side tanks, they were a standard fitting available off the shelf. Injectors of this type were quite common on locos in the late 19th century locos with us today from that era such as 1300, 957, 752 and Met no 1 sport backhead lifting injectors. In my experience if well maintained they are a very good injector, though given their position on the backhead can be prone to overheating.

4. 37255

37255 Guest

Will definitely be around for mince pie specials at some point then \:D/

5. Owen

Owen New Member

I'm not sure how much Ring Haw will haul, but it'll be nice to run up to Holt for a change.

The Gala will be notably different too, as the new Signal Box and Associated Signaling at Holt means the line can effectively double its capacity as more trains can be in service at the same time. The ability to hold trains at Holt and let them depart as soon as the last arrives should mean visitors get to see more freights, doubles and more services \:D/

6. 3855

3855 Member

7. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    I'm told that engine has hauled 5 or 6 coaches on our line several times, although the Mince Pie Special set will only be 4 coaches totalling 141 tons.

Hopefully we'll see a fair bit of use from this engine off peak when it's not visiting elsewhere.

8. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

9. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Ring Haw was back in service today, pictures on my website,

www.dave-ballard-co.uk/2008.htm

I seemed to spend most of the morning with Ben, so i'm sure his efforts will be uploaded later as well!

10. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Thanks for those photos Dave, I think Im going up tomorrow if all goes to plan

11. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

The posters Owen showed us on here are looking good around the station and Sheringham.

Ring haw was looking good today and the trains were busy, unfortunately the last train was very late due to Ring haw becoming stuck to the carriages. Although we didn't travel me and my dad had a nice cup of tea and bought some stuff in the shop, next time Im up there will be the gala which when you think about it isn't far away at all.

edit: You tube now ready, its not great but its OK.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jvwHFk14o

Peter Boggis has a video here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b6k2QIjVEPk

edit again, photos of ring haw disappeared due to flickr account being deleted.

12. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Details have been announced of the evening opening of Weybourne works on 28th February for visitors and photographers.

The plan is to keep the locos in steam overnight, tending the fires and cleaning and preparing them for the next day's service through to the morning. There should be a minimum of two locos on shed at any point during the night, with more arriving as the evening services come to and end.

All the info so far is here:

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/steam_gala.htm#shed

13. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Details have now been confirmed about the vintage bus tours round the old M&GN system.

Info available in the usual place: http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/steam_gala.htm

Bookings are being taken online or via Sheringham office - places are very limited so book early to avoid disappointment!

14. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

The prospect of the 4f visiting Melton Constable and Sutton bridge on the way down sounds very interesting.

I have heard of a tour (70013) from Dereham to Holt in May, with the easterling the day after so that should be a good weekend.

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I have received the first M&GN society e-letter, a nice extra to the membership.
    =D>

16. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Large single page about the gala in the EDP today, it had a picture of the N7 and quads on the top too.

Hopefully it will bring in a few more punters.

17. Ben32G

Ben32G New Member

I've heard this evening that the M&GN Bus Tours are starting to fill-up. Anyone wishing to take a trip down 'memory lane' should book to avoid disappointment.

Details at http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/steam_gala.htm#tours (and you can book online).

Also, the Souvenir Programme is nearly finished and should be available at the end of January (via the NNR's website). As well as lots of photos, history of the M&GN and NNR, it contains the working timetable.

18. Owen

Owen New Member

Just to add, further details regarding the freight train have been added to the Steam Gala page.

Details of the special Dining Train are also on the site.

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

20. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Don't think so I'm afraid.