If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GN 50 - Anniversary Gala on the NNR

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NNR Webmaster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Owen

Owen New Member

They look like nice spots, I'll check them out. I'm keen on trying to get onto Holgate Hill road to get some snaps from the bottom of Kelling Embankment - have you ever been there before? I'm not sure what time it'd have to be to get good light as you could very easily shoot into the sun. With double headers going up the bank, it should make for some nice shots. I wonder how close you can get to the embankment too - walking along the field edge might get you within a good distance. I've never seen shots taken from that point before, I presume its because its inaccessible?

I should be out for most of Friday and Saturday taking snaps so should get a few nice ones over that time.

2. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    There's a footpath that goes along the edge of the wood from the road, reaches the foot of the railway by the hill, then climbs, there a very good spot from the top of the hill, or using a good lens you can get photo's from either side of the road on the footpath. Very good late in the day as the sun gets round behind you before it sets. getting back to the foot path it take you to the level crossing, you can then walk back down to the holt and also stop of at the photo spot chown earlier.
    [​IMG]
    taken from the top of the bank.
    [​IMG]
    taken near the level crossing
    [​IMG]
    This one is from near the road.

3. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you're talking about where i think Owen, then it's one of these 'nice idea' shots.

I've seen video from it before, and looked at it for stills, but the sun never gets round enough! Even at the august galas, where the sun moves round far more than it will over Thats yer' lot, it still doesn't move enough. Sadly. Or if it's a cloudy day go and try it then!

I'll be around all the first weekend, so no doubt bump into you at some point

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    The gazebo on the edge of Sheringham Park, opposite Dead Man's Hill cab give some wonderful views in the right conditions.

5. Owen

Owen New Member

I've always wondered if the Gazebo is worth traveling too as its quite far out of the way. Only for a nice day though.

Dave, the first clip on Boggis Senior's Ring Haw Video is the sort of place I'm thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTxO9aRy1ds

I don't know if you can get into the field from the bank or not though, might be worth a try as it saves a long journey along the roads.

Cheers,
    Owen

6. davesrailwayphotos

Owen,
    As i'm sure you've noticed from the footplate, the bank is quite steep in places, especially near to the halt. Your best bet would be to walk to the curve between Kelling and Windpump, on the seaward side (at the bottom of the bank) the fence, railway and path are at about the same level. Having cleared the fence, walk along the path towards the sea and you get to the road. Turn right, and eventually you will come to a field entrance... go for a walk up there and i think there is an embankment around there somewhere.

Be careful though, over Christmas there was still sugar beet in that field (Strangely,) so best avoid the crops!

7. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Just a quick reminder:

Anybody intending to visit who has not bought advanced tickets yet, there is only a week left to take advantage of the advance booking discount, a saving of £1 per ticket.

Plus if you purchase a That's Yer Lot Souvenir Programme online at the same same as your rover tickets, you can take advantage of the special offer on the booklet (£2 instead of £2.50) AND save money with postage & packing!

8. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    As I said before there is footpath that goes along the edge of the wood from the raod, looks to me he has just stepped out of the wood into the edge of the field, done the same myself but from the other side of the raod as it is better for video, you get a longer run and you can also get them comming into wayborne (long shot but nice).
    \the last photo was taken from the the edge of the field near the road by the way, simlair spot, trouble is closer you get the more you loose with the bank.

9. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Another classic NNR location near Sheringham Golf Course with Skelding Hill with its Coastguard lookout on the top.

BTW - the J15 had its new, correct height, (NER Style) chimney fitted this week, it's 4" higher then the J21 seen here and makes the loco look much more authentic.

Steve A

10. davesrailwayphotos

After going out down the line today, i noticed that it is possible (with a big enough zoom) to stand in the public area on the outside of the curve and see right the way down to the end of Weybourne loop. It's not much good for stills, but a different idea for video.

11. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Another well used NNR location - from the south side of Kelling Cutting near Windpump Crossing on the top of the heath. Note there is no public road access to this spot now. If you want to go here use the car park on the north side of the road across the heath and then walk. The Trustees of the heath have blocked off most of the parking spaces now except for the offical car park.

Why is it that most of my best pictures have wretched GWR locos in them? ](*,)

Steve A

12. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
  13. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    A couple of images from Weybourne works of the preparations for the Gala:

The 4F getting some paintwork touch up on the cabs. Note the WD 2-10-0 in the background that has been allowed to get authentically filthy for the event.

[attachment=1:2bpuole7]NNR 2009-02-17 003 adj (Lo-Res).jpg[/attachment:2bpuole7]

The completed Quads and M&GN 129. =D> =D> =D>

[attachment=0:2bpuole7]NNR 2009-02-17 020 adj (Lo-Res).jpg[/attachment:2bpuole7]

Steve A.

14. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

The quad arts =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

all looking great only 19 days to go!!!

plus look what I found the other day, its the remains of city shed
    [​IMG]

15. Ben32G

Ben32G New Member

Quad-Arts look stunning ( I went and had a sneak preview last weekend). They'll will look fantastic with a certain visiting apple green engine. However I'm most looking forward to the possibility seeing No. 129 on trains (she's a little gem). Makes a very pleasant change from the ubiquitous Mark 1.

16. Owen

Owen New Member

Nice to see the proper destination blinds are now in the Quads too. They all look very smart - I'll have a nose around tomorrow.

17. davesrailwayphotos

The B1 turned up today - It's facing Sheringham (the opposite way to all the photos that have been shown in this thread :p) so will open up some new vantage points.

18. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

OK, we will arrange for the 76 to be delivered the same way, to match her....lol... \:D/

19. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    And have the 2mt/4mt double header tender to tender? :(

Have to get the 2mt facing that way too! :p

20. 3855

3855 Member

Matters will improve on the NNR next week when a proper engine, not entirely appropriate for the M&GN arrives =P~