If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mallard to move to Shildon

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Ploughman, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well even by the gutter standards of some on this forum, that's right up there with the best of them. If Anthony decides to quit Nat Press, then it will be all the poorer, and so therefore will we. No more updates on NRM policy, events, Scotsman's progress etc etc. And you honestly think that being, presumably a non-managerial but rail-trained person would qualify you to run a museum !!!! I hope you're satisfied with yourself. maybe engage brain before pressing the Post button eh?

2. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Please don't leave over this. Your input is never less than valuable.

3. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Damn right. Concur 100%

4. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Thirded - please continue contributing Anthony.

Regards,

Dan

5. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

moving Mallard to Shildon is the correct thing to do whilst the great hall is closed , remember when york was last re modeled ,a lot came down to swindon its better that she can be seen at shildon than locked away if it allows something else that normally cant be viewed with ease to take its place, and being at shildon people who might have never gone to york will have the chance to see her , so where is the harm?
    Also can i echo the previous contributors pleas to Antony not to go,

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Comment by 46236 :

York is the second or third most visited city in the UK. Shildon is too far away and remote from areas of popularity. The general public probably dont even know where it is.

Then perhaps it's about time people knew where it is ! If you're hoping to attract people to an unknown site then your main attraction has to be of sufficient importance to do that - and nothing in the NRM collection comes bigger than 4468 Mallard. Whilst I cannot speak for the NRM I would presume that the recent staff changes have brought together a team that will achieve much with the NRM and its assets - and I don't include CLOSURE in their plans.

In terms of remoteness I would suggest that 46236 is as remote from reality as anyone could be so I would suggest he makes his way to his nom de plume else I can see him having a free visit to 46240.

And in conclusion may I add my own support to those seeking Anthony's return - his input is valued from those of us seeking reassurance that the NRM means business and will achieve despite limited resources; if this means ignoring the counsel of those such as 46236 whose opinions are about as much use as smoke out of the locomotive chimney - then so be it ! As least Anthiny writes under his own name and lets his record speak for him unlike the critics who use a nom de plume to suggest - rather than confirm - any valid knowledge or experience.

7. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Ok, ok I was wrong to imply that mr Coulls was untrained in railway matters and apologise unreservedly if it appeared I was refering to him in particular. I still believe, however that to move 4468 to Shildon ( for the foreseeable future) is wrong and a place at NRM York is its true home. I believe I have the right to stand up and say what I think is wrong with all manner of decisions relating to railways or for that matter to any discussion area. Because you do not agree with what I have said may not make me wrong and others right. I am very particular in which threads i become involved in, my thread 'tally' will confirm this, and only when I feel strongly about a comment do I add my little bit.

8. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Oh Dear - good job Mr C - or Mr H in some circles is still accessible elsewhere.

Last time he made one of his unpleasant allegations I suggested a yellow card - I think this time a straight red would be better - for good.

9. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    And the last. I am not happy with that comment. And I have dealt with the member.

10. Muzza

Muzza New Member

I made my "once in a lifetime" visit to the UK in 1986 and was disappointed to find that Mallard was not on display at York (delighted to know she was being restored to working order though).
    Through the generosity of John Bellwood, arrangements were made for me (a young lad of 19) to visit Doncaster works to see the loco.

Fortunately, I've been able to travel to the UK many times since on business and I always try to justify a trip to York. I never take Mallard being on display there for granted.

However, I've been to Shildon and absolutely loved it and don't need too much encouragement to go back. At least Mallard will be on display in a secure environment and in a historic railway location. Make a day of it and visit the museum in Darlington as well.

Just be thankful that Mallard didn't disappear to Australia for a year in 1988 as first suggested and that Flying Scotsman came instead (although I know that Scotsman was missed too).

And Anthony, I always appreciate the information you have to share with us.

11. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Well, if National Rail can manage to path Torbay Expresses along a main holiday route (well, almost, bearing in mind the return trip woes), perhaps it wouldn't be impossible to add a regular summertime York-Darlington-Shildon-and-back roster to York's commitment. Offer a package deal with entry to the museum, and see how the market responds and how much Shildon's profile is raised. My knowledge of the ECML feeder network south of Durham is poor; could a loco be conveniently turned before the southbound trip, and if so where?

12. Groks212

Groks212 Member

Well when the A1 Trust ran their Talismans to Darlington whilst Tornado was being built their didn't seem to be a problem turning them and stabling loco and stock adjacent to North Road station. I do know the locos were turned on the line to Shildon but not sure where. I'd gladly pay for a York - Shildon and return trip if it ran. Maybe a tour operator might look into the viability?

Dave B

13. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i wonder instead of the scarborough runs, could the steam specials run to shildon instead it would raise the profile of shildon and if enty to shildon was included in the ticket, it could be a good way of also exchanging mainline registered engines between the two sites

14. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I am minded to recall a previous Anthony Post which mentioned "plans in the offing"; would this be a regular NRM service between York and Shildon using NRM artefacts ( including a red loco belonging to the NRM's Mr Beet perhaps ? ). I think Anthony's phrase to "watch this space" could be worth waiting for !

15. MarkinDurham

You know, this idea of a service between York and Shildon is well worth investigating. I'm not sure where locomotives would be turned on the Bishop Auckland branch at present, tbh, but there would be time to turn elsewhere (Newcastle?) whilst passengers are enjoying Locomotion. Other possibility - run onto the Weardale with the ECS for stabling? Good use for the likes of D6700/D200 etc for these trains as well? The possibilities are many :)

16. Matt

Matt Member

Closest place for turning I would have thought would be at the Eaglescliffe triangle which isn't far off Middlesbrough so it's a bit of a trek. Not out of the question though and if it ever did happen though the move could either be done L/E or tender first, shove the stock in the loop at Eaglescliffe, turn and take the train south either back to Darlington and onto the ECML or down through Yarm joining the mainline at Northallerton. Just pipe dreaming here..

17. MarkinDurham

Good call, Matt. Of course, is there space at Bishop Auckland for a triangle? Have to look at Google Earth, maybe! :)

18. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    deleted - having a senior moment

19. MarkinDurham

I know THAT feeling, Mike :)

20. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    A memory stirs - did I read somewhere that the NRM was getting the former Old Oak Common 70ft turntable when it gets removed to make way for the CrossRail depot?

Regards,

Dan