If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manchester Central Library Treasures

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by daveannjon, Feb 5, 2009.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Well it's not a gala but anyone around Manchester might like to pop in:

I’ve been involved in setting up the latest Treasures of Manchester Central Library exhibition, the idea being to show the public some of the items that are usually hidden away in the library stacks. The theme for February and March is “Full Steam Ahead: Early Railways”. In fact it spans the period 1821 to 1945 so the title is not very accurate but some interesting items including books, prints, maps, timetables, postcards and reports are on view. Some of the Tait prints of the Manchester and Leeds Railway are included, as are the Ackerman Liverpool and Manchester prints with a ‘spot the difference’, the Beyer Peacock Works Bulletin from WW2, LNWR postcards, a 1911 Bassett-Lowke catalogue, an 1883 L&Y rulebook, and some first editions of railways featuring in literature.

The exhibition is in the Science and Humanities Library on the first floor of Manchester Central Library in St Peter’s Square, Manchester, and as a bonus there is a concurrent display by the Victorian Society until the end of February that includes several railway references including the failure to secure the Euston Arch and the successful rebirth of St Pancras. We hope to have a Saturday afternoon workshop in March (probably 14th) when further interesting railway material will be available for inspection. Central Library is open 09.00 – 20.00 Mon – Thurs, and 09.00 – 17.00 Fri & Sat.

Cheers
    Dave

2. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No, the title isn't very accurate at all: "Full steam ahead" is a nautical term...

3. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Absolutely right, unfortunately the marketing people thought that up before I was involved - you just can't get the staff!

I'll have to display some of the LNW postcards of their shipping fleet...

Cheers
    Dave