If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manning Wardles "YEO" and "EXE" new-build

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, Aug 15, 2018.

1. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

It's the Killamarsh, Derbyshire, works. It says so in the very first post of this thread .....

2. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I rushed in only reading the last pages of the thread and not read it in detail thanks for putting us right about that i think i got confused thinking the locos were for a miniture railway new builds

3. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

Retired {Electronics Engineer}
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    [​IMG]

As the 762 Club's first project locomotive (Baldwin "Lyn") is now successfully in service at Woody Bay, it seems appropriate to create a new thread for the next project to build two new steam locomotives for use on the future expanded Lynton & Barnstaple Railway.

There will be regular news updates as there was for the previous "Lyn" project and to this end the 762 Club website has today been updated accordingly.

See webpage >>> https://www.762club.com/news/september-2019-news-update

4. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Good idea for a dedicated thread, will be following with interest.

5. Flying Phil

Obviously C-19 has had a huge effect but is there any more news on the progress of these two engines?

6. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Wouldn't this one (retitled) serve better? OK, Lyd lives in Gwynedd and properly belongs on the F&WHR threads, plus (lost original) Lew we can treat as a special case*, but for the new L&B ..... c'mon peeps .... we're only talking five locos in total and we do manage all 140 Bulleid pacifics on a single thread!

*yeah yeah .... I know ..... unless someone goes and finds it. Such are the odds against that (more's the pity) that a £100 bet would likely cover the cost of repatriation, full rebuild, plus running a competition to choose a different name for 'New Lew' and the cost of three sets of cast plates, two for the new loco, one for the competition winner.

7. Flying Phil

Thanks 30854 but I agree with Axe+1 that a dedicated thread for these two engines is sensible - it is just a shame that there have been no recent updates.
    I think there are quite a few other threads about specific Bulleid Pacifics and so hardly a "single thread" for all 140.

Axe +1 likes this.
  8. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    It's more a case of me just being downright lazy, tbh ..... I just like to know my L&B loco fix is to be found in one convenient location. :)

weltrol likes this.
  9. Flying Phil

It is a shame that there are no updates on these engines, I'm sure some work must have been done over the past few months - despite the lockdowns.

ghost likes this.
  10. Flying Phil

There doesn't seem to be any new news about these engines on the L & B website....surely some work has been happening?

11. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

No updates=people lose interest=no finance.
    As you say Phil, either something has been going on, or sadly it must be concluded that the project is dead.

Flying Phil likes this.
  12. Flying Phil

Hi Keith
    I must confess to being annoyed when groups/societies/Companies/projects etc seek funds via donations and /or standing orders, but cannot, or do not, in return, keep their supporters updated on a reasonably regular basis. I understand that, in the past, newsletters were expensive and so quarterly was fairly standard....but today's electronic media is virtually cost free - it just needs somebody's time and effort........We all know which ones are good in this respect........and they get much more of our support.

ross, The Dainton Banker and ghost like this.
  13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I share that annoyance Phil - it does not sit well with me to donate to a group and then receive no news until they come looking for more money. I made a similar point on the WSR thread.

Flying Phil and ross like this.
  14. Snail368

Snail368 New Member

Invasive weed control and eradication
    I understand that an email with a newsletter is due this evening...

15. Flying Phil

I did e mail to the contact on the website and, to his credit, did get a prompt reply. They have been badly affected by Covid with their suppliers but have made some purchases and will update the website soon.

Snail368 likes this.
  16. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've heard, but there's been this global pandemic...

30854 likes this.
  17. Flying Phil

Thank you Andrew - but I didn't know that there was a mutant version of Covid that was transmitted via internet viruses......Seriously though, over the past 12 months there are many new build projects that have clearly had castings made, machining done, fabrications welded drawings made CAD files created etc. Heritage railways have had bridges built and installed, track laid, PWay tamped etc All within the constraints of Covid regulations.
    We know about this because they have used the internet to keep us informed......and, in return, we have supported them with our donations, share purchases etc.
    The successful projects/organisations are a combination of Fund raising, Engineering, Paperwork/legal, Location........and Public Relations/Communications.
    We want these projects to succeed, but it is not asking too much for regular feedback in return for our regular funding.
    I also appreciate the desire to keep existing supporters "specially" informed....but if new supporters are to be encouraged, then keep the "public" news almost as current.
    I await the 762 news with interest.

18. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

My point was, it's quite possible that the effects of.... Everything... have meant that those involved in the project have had better things to think about in recent months.
    It only takes one or two people in an organisation to be out of circulation for the public comms to be interrupted.
    Other projects might have been lucky, maybe their members, or suppliers, or designers, or webmasters haven't lost jobs, or loved ones, or been key workers, or been homeschooling kids, or for other reasons didn't have time to update websites.
    The communications piece is very important to keep supporters and fundraisers on side. But this last year something's had to give in every group or organisation. If it hasn't affected you, you've been very lucky.
    It's possible they've been making progress but not been able to keep their website up to date. If so, that's surely better news than an up to date website but no real progress!
    However it's also perfectly possible that everyone involved (or key people) had to put this project - which is a hobby - on hold for "real life" reasons.
    I've no involvement or link in this project at all, BTW, I just think everyone needs to cut everyone some slack right now.

pmh_74, 5944, mgp and 2 others like this.
  19. Llwyngwern

Llwyngwern Member

At the best of times, but particularly over the last year this ius an area where you can find yourself trotting into a minefield on a pogo stick. Covid has delayed one project I'm involved with as an engineer had to shield and matters slowed of course. Things are back on track now but health matters, let alone a death -- and there have been too many of those -- is not something that should be broadcast far and wide.
    On another side of the ledger I've been involved in publicity, commercial and fund raisng for Heritage Lines for over 40 years and I've met and worked, or tried to work with, various engineers. Some have been highlyu communicative and realised there must be income for projects. I've also had to try to work around It'll be ready, when it's ready.
    Club 762 has been very pro-active in the past, so there may well be very good reaons for the quiet state of affiars in the public domain. We must never overlook that our interests hinge around people and most people have lives that are not entirely consumed by the railways they are linked with.

Old Kent Biker, 35B, Axe +1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

Retired {Electronics Engineer}