If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mark one door hinges.

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Thompson1706, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    We are restoring 4316 at Llangollen incorporating a disabled conversion. One end of the coach has had both toilet compartments removed, and the adjacent doors will be re-configured to include an extra half door. Does anybody have two sets of right handed door hinges spare. A couple of half doors (ex- restaurant car, would be even handier !

Bob.

2. JWKB

JWKB Member

I know that Cranmore have a few half doors in stock. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they will part with them. Also something in the memory bank says SDR were making new skins but might be wrong.

3. Thompson1706

Retired
    Thanks James, we'll try them.

Bob.

4. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Hi Bob. If you can wait until the new year. I can have a look at what we have in our spares at Kidderminster and whether we can move them on. Would the half doors need to be a fit hinges and done job or could you stand them if they need say a new skin but the frame is solid?

5. Thompson1706

Retired
    If frames are solid re-skin wouldn't be a problem, but we would need associated hinges. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Bob.

6. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Sorry to be 'that guy', but have you checked the width a standard door plus RBr quarter door would give you? I can do a quick measure in a day or two but those 'half doors' are I'm fairly sure less than half width of a standard door, and sat here imagining it it feels a bit tight to me for the width of a standard wheelchair ramp. We've done a similar conversion to what you intend on a couple of TSOs/SOs where we've taken the toilets out at one end, but we've gone for full double doors like on a brake coach.

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The small doors are about a third of the width of a full size Mk 1 door, which aren't huge anyway. I think the doors are about 2' 6", so even with an extra 10" that's quite tight for a wheelchair.

8. flying scotsman123

Fairly sure full doors are just 2', 1/3 sounds about right, so maybe 2' 8"?

9. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You could well be right. I was trying to scale them off internet drawings! 789mm is mentioned but that may be the width of the vestibule, obviously the door frame takes up a chunk of that.

10. flying scotsman123

Yes that sounds right, 3" or so either side of the door. I can take a tape measure to everything tomorrow and we can be sure!

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Drawings on Bluebell Railway website have width of vestibule as 2'7 1/4" see https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/mk1/4754.html and scroll down.

12. Thompson1706

Retired
    I know that they are not actually half size, and the width of the smaller door does not matter as both sides of each opening will have new pillars to suit.
    I don't want to start a major thread about door sizes !

Bob.

13. flying scotsman123

Sorry, my main concern was just that your aperture would be a little narrow for what you're trying to do rather than any pedantry around 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 etc.

14. D1039

D1039 Guest

This might add to the discussion.

“The dimensions prescribed in government regulations covering public transport (700mm wide by 1200mm long)” is taken from the SVR website. That’s 27.5591 inches.

But: “The maximum width of a mobility scooter is 30 inches” says the internet.

15. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Our 3 Mk1 conversions have all used a luggage door rather than the smaller kitchen door. Our resident oracle and also a volunteer who worked on the BR catering side have mentioned. The 1/3 sized door was built to that width so an oven tray could be passed through sideways and straight into the oven, which used to sit nearly opposite.

If you have an opportunity it was worth looking at what others have achieved. 80776 was our first, which used a BG. 4690 followed, then finally 4399 more recently. The design in 4690 was also copied by the NYMR. We try to, where possible provide a disabled access toilet rather than just a large vestibule. We have 2 vehicles where this isnt practicable, 9055 and 26880. We are working 26921 at Bridgnorth, making into a Semi open wheelchair corridor second.

4399/4690 have one complete seating bay and half of the next one removed from the toilet end, the vestibule walls removed. The door pillars moved to accomodate a pair of full width doors. This gives a doorway width of just under 4ft. When you then consider disable ramps and the size of some wheelchairs these days, the bigger to doorway and turning circle the better. Removing both toilets gives plenty of space for a fully compliant accesable toilet in which we have also fitted baby changing tables. Carefully planned walls have also allowed for buffet trolleys to easily pass through as well.

D1039 likes this.
  16. Thompson1706

Retired
    We did a conversion for Foxfield adding the smaller door (provided by them). We will not be re-installing a toilet, so the end of the coach will have plenty of turning space for wheelchairs.
    All of our stations except Berwyn have disability toilets, and it is probably not worth the expense on what will be a ten mile line from May.

Bob.