If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Maude set to steam again

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by railway, Nov 2, 2010.

1. railway

railway New Member

http://rail-news.com/2010/11/02/maude-to-steam-again-and-lms-compound-1000-to-head-for-scotland/

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Seems a bit of strange arrangment wanting a Scottish loco on display when recently the NRM has been sending loco's 'back home' (4003 to Swindon, 925 to Eastleigh/Mid Hants, 30120 to Bodmin), and it's not as though the like of 6229 and 4468 didn't work to Scotland in service, and Bo'ness/Glasgow Museum seemed to do a reasonable job of presenting Scottish Railway Heritage already.

Certainly i'd of thought 1000 would be more use at York as it's realistically the only engine that can be used to explain compounding, apart from it's Scottish connections 673 is not unlike thousands of other 0-6-0 freight loco's, that's said 673 is a attractive thing and it's good these unique loco's are kept steaming as often as possible.

3. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting news, i guess that also means the cascade of moving equipment will hit the SVR as a replacement for the Compound will need to be found for the Engine House, or will they bring Black 5 45110 back from Barrow Hill to be at the Engine House?

With all these locos in new places thanks to the NRM dispersal for the NRM+ project, i really am going to need to take a long trip to both revist places i've been and try to finally hit some more new places (like everywhere i've ignored in the west like Gloucester-Warwickshire, the West Somerset and Bodmin & Wentford).

4. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    As far as I know, she's only going to York for a 3 year Static Display, with hopefully a collection tin or similar for donations towards her next overhaul. "Maude" has been out of traffic for the past 7 years roughly ( Actual year of ticket expiry I can't remember ), and needs significant work done to her before a return to traffic as listed on the SRPS Steam website ( www.srpssteam.com )

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Wait for the full press release...nothing wrong with some good partnerships, and the SVR WILL be getting a replacement...

6. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Good to see a Scottish loco going to York and yes I'll be making a donation.

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Surely not a bad idea to move exhibits around, it means that next time you go to York (York Yuletide from Liverpool), there is something new to look at.

8. meeee

meeee Member

I'm sure any Scotsman will tell you there is a difference between working in Scotland and from being from Scotland.

1000 is a bit useless for explaining compounding because you can’t really tell from the outside. The Garratt K1 was a better example because you could see the difference in cylinder size and the connection between the two. It was much better at that than it ever has been at pulling trains.

9. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Aren't 7802 & 5764 nearing the end of their tickets? (not sure if 5764 has already been withdrawn). If so wouldn't it be wise to leave 45110 where she is till she is due to enter the works at around 2013 and put the Pannier & Manor on display? Having said that 7714 & 7325 are due to leave the engine house soon so there is still space for another engine, is 'The Lady Armaghdale' going in the engine house soon?

10. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    I believe 'The Lady Armagdale' is already in the Engine House, if not then there are plans to move her into there! I also seem to remember reading that when 5764 is withdrawn she is going to swap boiler's with 7714 so that 7714 can be fast-tracked overhauled, so i guess 5764 will take it's place in the Engine House. As for 7802 and 7325 i know nothing!!

11. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

7714 & 5764 aren't swapping boilers there is in fact a third pannier boiler at the SVR (ex 3612) and that is being worked on to for 7714 Lady A is in the engine house now. 7325 I think is due out of the EH at the end of next year for overhaul to commence.

12. planetpower

planetpower Member

nowt
    The Alco From The FR Is Suppose To Be Going To The Engine House, What A Loco!!

13. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

As a swap or to go with prince?!!

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Presumably with the Engine House it would be as near as makes no difference a 'one in, one out' thing with one engine retired from traffic as another is pulled out ready to enter Bridgnorth Works ?.

15. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

We're going to have to form a National Railway Museum for the 16% of visitors who like steam engines! Noted at the Type 3 diesel anniversary how many children eagerly watched the turntable demo- it was virtually every visitor. No turntable, no working museum. Might find visitor numbers decline if the 200+ year story forgets the 150yrs of steam bar 5 locomotives.

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

You may have noticed that those 16% are already well catered for outside of York. People need to remember that the NRM is a museum paid for out of taxation so its only right that it should cater for the widest possible audience, and in doing so only helps railway preservation. While i understand your point about the turntable, i suspect much of this attraction is down to it being just about the only large object in the museum that actually does something - an issue that needs to be addressed when the whole place is essentially about moving...

Oops, bit off piste there. Btw i think the Alco is a replacement for Prince which i believe is to be overhauled for an upcoming anniversary.

Chris