If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Merchant of Avon - Summer Sundays

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Will RL, May 8, 2019.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It is the first few hundred yards or so that cause the problems with any decent load and I don't think that some people realise how much care is needed from the crews to get trains away from here. So I'm not surprised that even a loco such as a Jubilee that is generally sure-footed also needed a deft hand to control the departure. I think that the Pullmans go again to Stratford next month. 500 tons will be another test for loco and crew.

2. TomW70013

TomW70013 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    A compilation of Summer Sunday steam specials to run to Stratford Upon Avon, including shots from some of the Merchant of Avon trips - 2019

jackshepherd likes this.
  3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Stratford is a notoriousy tricky start with the stock on an S , a short sharp climb to the canal bridge and rails often slippy from the passage of diesel units . back in the early 90's 70000 and 4472 vied for the longest time taken to get a train on the move with some phenomenal slipping