If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Autumn Steam Gala 2014.

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by green five, Mar 4, 2014.

1. 8126

8126 Member

That first photo of 5029 coming into M&4M is a cracker. I love that sort of light, and having the signal vaguely framing the loco really adds to it.

2. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Flickr.178.jpg Flickr.177.jpg

James

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Nice photo of 5029 coming into Medstead.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thank you for your kind comment. I was praying the sun would stay out for this shot. I listened to 5029 departing Ropley and storming up the bank to Medstead for some time and getting this picture just added to the excellent experience.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks again for the kind comment. This has been one of the most rewarding Galas for photos for me. I will put up some more tomorrow along with a few videos including the one of 5029 on that deafening run from Alton on Friday evening.
    I didn't think they could top the March Gala but 5029 & 6960 really made this an unforgettable event.

Hurricane likes this.
  6. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's weird I think the autumn gala was better than the spring one but Clan Lines performance and appearance was more unforgettable than the GWR visitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I enjoyed my day at the gala on Saturday, even though the sun never appeared at the right time (Consulted three on-line weather forecasts on the Friday. All different, all wrong!) Did manage a picture of 1450 at Ropley in the dark on Sat. I hope it comes out as well as James's picture above (Which I guess was taken on Sunday). Besides a good run behind 5029, the other memorable feature was the very knowledgeable man in the works at Ropley who gave me a long talk about the various restoration projects on Saturday morning which I found most interesting. A big thank you to the gentleman in question. Good to see the progress on a number of fronts, especially 75079, which looks like it will be a very popular loco when finished. Also enjoyed seeing the boiler shop and the C&W display. It's going to be a challenge to restore the Bulleid coaches, but when complete, they will really add something to the line.

siquelme likes this.
  8. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

An excellent gala. I enjoyed the GWR theme. 5029 was in fine form but for real drama, I prefer her on the mainline. Torre bank with 10 on is at least the equal of the climb from Alton. The biggest attraction for me was the Hall as I haven't had a run behind her since her restoration.

9. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    The 56XX does create an interesting ride. I had her on a Fish and Chip Special last month.

Unfortunately didn't go to the Gala at the weekend but sounds like everything went well.

10. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

My video from the weekend:

James

11. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

My footage from the Sunday of the gala.

horace likes this.
  12. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    I'm glas someone got the sum, I was linesiding mst of the day and was supposed to go into Winchester about 3pm to pick up my daughter, but she was delayed coming back from Uni, so I didn't go in till 4pm- driving back the sun came out and I arrived home 15 minutes after the castle had left Alresford, otherwise I would have been chasing it with a camera! I did catch 4270 in almost sun on Sunday and did manage one of my special "in the dark" shots on Sunday....

[​IMG]Autumn Goods at Wanders by Arle Images, on Flickr

[​IMG]Autotrain at night by Arle Images, on Flickr

13. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Stunning shot of the auto-train

As promised, my video...

14. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Aww thanks Steve, :)

At least I didn't get the chance to bugger your shot up. unlike Lee's............................ I gave him & Dave the "Royal" wave as we cleared the pines........... or at least I think I did........ he was taking a going away shot........ :eek::rolleyes:

Also I'm lead to believe yesterday's departure through Alresford was the sharpest of the weekend! :) :) :)

We were certainly bouncing about in the Toad......... :eek: and the 9F returned the compliment once clear of the TSR - lets just say the Toad was a slightly smoother ride than the BR brake!! :eek:

BTW how did your shot of the Auto Tank at Alresford Saturday evening turn out?. as I haven't even looked at mine yet........

15. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    The freight really took us by surprise, we were only in Alresford for sunday lunch, but my wife suggested we parked at the station (not really knowing what was going on) we were expecting the Castle to be running round having just seen it uncouple from the set it had just brought in. Suddenly the 42XX came bundling past, accelerating the entire way through the platform. Sheer magic, you could quite easily believe it had come all the way from Winchester...

green five and Hurricane like this.
  16. Duty Druid

That, Sir, is the general idea! ;):)

17. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

18. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    That's early, isn't it?

Now, there's a B1 down in these parts early next year. I know I'm a broken record on this, but...

steamvideosnet likes this.
  19. Duty Druid

Its me again, the Druid!.............:eek:

I'm glad that folks enjoyed the gala and had an enjoyable time as much as us nutters going lineside, with MHR PTS, note the bold caps............... on Saturday there "was" a mystery as to why the timetable slipped by 10-15 mins for no real reason, those of you traveling that day may have noticed............ I even asked the lads on the platform at Ropley in the evening if they could tell me why the timetable slipped as it did - and much to their chagrin, they didn't know.

Well..................................... I found out yesterday..................... and have been politely asked to post this.

The reason the TT slipped is quite simple, but down right ruddy dangerous to those involved................

The public foot crossing at Northside Lane, where people like to go to get the "shot", whether traveling or not........... there came a time when there were so many people at the crossing that they were spread along the four foot, the loco crews had to constantly whistle up and SLOW DOWN, so that no one would get hurt............. and we on the lineside further up, did wonder why the constant whistling rather than the single blast for the whistle board.................

Those of you on here who were guilty of this, you know who you are, should be ashamed of yourselves, you were on the verge of bringing things to a halt!

You were also trespassing on MHR property........... the ONLY part of the crossing that is "public" is the crossing itself, ie the width of it and the path leading to it........... what you lot did is classed as trespass and the BTP could quite easily have been called......... you might think that the constant whistling is good for photo's & video's, but its the footplate crews way to say GET OFF THE TRACK - they can't see you properly as you're not wearing Hi Viz........... you can all to easy blend into the background, also you would be too close to the four foot, and strangely enough a steam loco will throw things out to the side with out warning......... so if you end up in hospital because a lump of coal falls off the tender or there's an unexpected blast of steam, and you end up in hospital, you have only yourselves to blame!

So PLEASE, take the hint, at the next gala - BEHAVE, stay on the crossing throat away from the linside, NOT along it....... or you just might bring proceeding's to a halt and spoil the event for thousands of others.... oh and probably find yourself nicked for trespass...........

Sorry if this sounds like an iron fist in a velvet glove, BUT it is pretty serious, you could get hurt........ and if it persists the crossing could quite easily get closed...... then what are you going to do.........

Oh, and as you know I don't have anything to do with running the railway, I just turn up & paint the wagons that you lot enjoy seeing out on the demo goods, but am quite happy to pass things on if asked!

A1X, siquelme, martin butler and 3 others like this.
  20. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Duty Druid thanks for posting the above message.

As a member of footplate crew at the MHR, I understand why people go to the crossing to get their photograph or two, however some people clearly have no brains! To witness the person who thought it was acceptable to set his camera tripod up on the ballast shoulder of the track and to be leaning down operating the camera as the loco went by took my breath away with stupidity. At least one of the locos in operation this weekend has an injector that if it was to knock off, of its own accord (which they do) it would squirt steam directly into the cess. Guys & Girl no photo is worth being injured (or worse) for, please respect the railways rules!

There were a couple of other idiots trespassing on the railway over the weekend, including the baffoon who got onto the track around Kings Pond area in Alton on Saturday, who was wearing dark green clothing, causing the signal staff to send a member of staff down to check everything was clear before releasing the next train…… then people wonder why the timetable slips!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014