If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Autumn Steam Gala 21-23 October 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by steamvideosnet, Jun 2, 2016.

1. 73082

73082 Member

A revised timetable is up on the website now, does anyone know if this was just for today or if it is applicable to tomorrow and Sunday as well?

2. 8126

8126 Member

Has all three dates on it, so I should think so. 53809 isn't going to be running; I was told that there's a leak from a joint between the superheater header and a main steam pipe. That will take more than a little bit of repairing before it's safe to run again.

Royal Scot certainly seemed to be drawing quite an audience, and who can blame them? Looks a picture, and waltzed up the bank from Ropley to M&4M about as effortlessly as I can remember any engine doing .... except Clan Line.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  3. 73082

73082 Member

Cheers for the update :)

4. 8126

8126 Member

I should also add that I had a very interesting (for me) little chat with the chap in the light machine shop and I do really appreciate the effort the MHR goes to these days to make the works, carriage works and boiler shop accessible on gala weekends. Being able to have a nose around the place and see progress on overhauls is just as interesting to me as a shiny guest engine. Still haven't managed to be in the right place at the right time for an M&4M yard tour...

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A brilliant first day of the Gala despite the loss of 53809. 46100 was deservedly getting a lot of attention but I have to say 43106 stole the show for me today with a cracking run up the bank. Will try to get another trip in behind the "Flying Pig" tomorrow. She also looked good at the head of the Vans. The Pines Express was another highlight with an astonishing run through Ropley. I was filming it from the train in the other platform (not leaning out I will add) and I felt my jaw drop as 76017 & 92212 were opened up in some style and thundered past me. My Dad said to me afterwards "We are travelling on the Pines tomorrow!"
    My other highlight was travelling on the 16.50 from Alton behind 45379 in top form. Welcome back old girl!
    We finished the day by capturing 43106 rolling into Ropley at Sunset.
    Thanks to everyone involved for an excellent day and a big round of applause to whoever drew up a revised timetable in such a short time.
    We are back for some more fun tomorrow.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

6. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

A real mixed bag today. It was disappointing that the 7F had failed, but full marks to the MHR for re-writing the allocations and distributing them with the tickets bought on the day. And I suppose thank goodness it failed overnight and not half way up Medstead Bank this morning/afternoon.

The Mid Hants always put on a show, and the Pines proved that. Top spectacle. I only wish I'd stuck around Ropley to film it rather than be round at the foot crossing where the sun came out seconds after the 9F had passed. C'est la vie.

46100 43106 Ropley.001.jpg

James

ykin01, cg, Mick45305 and 2 others like this.
  7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes another top day at the MHR. I travelled am and then went photing. 43106 slow in the climbs early on but 46100 effortless. The Pines was spectacular in full sun at North Street and 46100 looked and sounded superb at the crossing in the low sun on the 1600. Good to chat to others there recalling good times in the DDR. Top marks to the guys at the MHR for coping so well with the loss of the 7F and burning the midnight oil to rejig the timetable with all that entails

8. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    46100 has just come off her first train of the morning at Ropley, going to cause some delays even if nothing is wrong. Currently sat over the pit in the yard with the 33 running up the headshunt. Hopefully precautionary.

EDIT - 33 now taking over the train from 46100. Doesn't seem the MHR having much luck with visitors this time!

9. green five

Rather a lot of disappointed folks at Medstead just now as the Class 33 rolled in. Hope the problem isn't serious.

10. green five

46100 currently receiving attention at Ropley. [​IMG]

cg likes this.
  11. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

But it's only a one orange jacket problem (see other thread), so easily fixed then.

12. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Good news. 46100 has been tacked onto the rear of her booked train and will presumably resume her booked workings with the 1300 off Alresford

13. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Announcements to the effect that 46100 is running again.

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Another great day at the MHR Autumn gala. Two photos from today.

Attached Files:

green five likes this.
  15. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Another mixed day for me. Again, top marks to the MHR ops team for organising the 33 to stand in for the Scot at the last second and for fixing the problem with 46100 so quickly. And also credit to the crews for getting trains up to speed quickly when the timetable began to slip this afternoon...

My first shot from today... 46100 climbing past Grosvenor Road this evening. The sun is in the wrong place for this shot (it's an early morning shot), but being both out of time and imagination, it was the best we could come up with!

46100 Grosvenor.001.jpg

James

green five likes this.
  16. 73082

73082 Member

Spent the day mostly around Ropley and Alresford today with a bit of time at Medstead, it was nice to see the loading dock open to visitors! Full credit to the MHR team for sorting the problems with 46100 this morning (apparently it was reverser issues), the imaginative timetable worked well with the freights and Pines Express all being seriously impressive! Anyway, a few photos from today, I included one of the 08 hauled train, despite the apparent lack of interest from the majority I must say I approve of the occasional unusual working such as this one... IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3306.JPG IMG_3010.JPG

cg likes this.
  17. green five

Another excellent day today despite the problems with the Scot in the morning. High praise to the folks at Ropley who sorted her out and got her back into the swing of things. Looked very much like a reverser problem. My picture shows a part removed for attention:[​IMG]
    Had some good trips up the banks again today: 41312 was very lively on the first train out of Alton. A great start to the day. The Pines Express didn't disappoint again. I haven't heard 92212 make that much noise for a long time and the acceleration out of both Alresford and Ropley brought wide grins to the faces of most of the passengers. A terrific show from the footplate crews on both Standards. I hope the long formation non-stop services become a regular fixture at future Galas i.e. 76017 on the front of a Bulleid Pacific with the Bournemouth Belle at the End of Southern Steam Gala next year....
    The "Hosking Special" from Alton with 46100 at the business end and 92212 banking was also impressive with 46100 making a bit more noise than she did yesterday. Finished the day off by watching the impressive shunting movements at Alresford with 76017, the QMB and the freight train before travelling on the last train from Alresford behind 76017 which was on good form.
    [​IMG]
    In between travelling today we spent our time looking at the stalls and bought some great books from the Wagon group stand at Medstead.
    Thanks again to everyone involved at the MHR and the visiting Loco support folks for a superb event.

cg likes this.
  18. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
  19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Something with a high-ish pitched whistle (not an LMS hooter and not a shrill Schools "peeper") was in steam in Ropley yard yesterday when The Pines roared through. I was on the hill behind "the shack" and heard the enthusiastic exchange of whistles. Do I see whisps of smoke from 53809's chimney in A1X's picture, above? Could it be that the steam leak discovered on Thursday is not as bad as feared?

20. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

It was in the same state on the Friday and managed a whistle or two as well.