If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Diesel Gala 5th-7th September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 73129, Jun 6, 2014.

1. js5646

js5646 New Member

I had a great day on Saturday and think the MHR knocks the socks off the Swanage in terms of haulage and sound. I've not done a swanage diesel event for several years now; whilst the scenery is nice the climbs aren't attacked enough, the final climb towards HC from S always seems disappointing since the couple of unfortunate encounters with cars at the crossing a few years back (perfectly understandable to take things easy). It's also tricky changing trains at HC.
    Riding in coach 2 on the climb away from Butts Junction with 6 on behind 'Lion' on Saturday was just like climbing towards Honiton Tunnel over 20 years ago - perfect nostalgia!!

Those that weren't there missed a great day.

green five likes this.
  2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Diesel galas are always difficult to plan, I say this as a (rather open minded) crank myself, but theres a fair few out there who are a bit fickle, so it probley didnt help that the 40 no show also co-encided with 3 20's going to Cleethorpes. I think this year has tested a few people's patience with advertised traction being changed... And changed... And changed yet again , I think most of us know that every gala lineup is subject to change but there comes a point where you do think enoughs enough. At the mo Im contemplating do I still go to SVR diesel gala, despite ads in press the 26 is a no show now thats the one engine I'm after. I'll still support the event as its my railway but its certainly looking like rather than spend the 3 days as planned I may just have a day and a half there not the SVR's fault I know and getting back on topic I do sympathise with the Mid Hants no fault of theirs and due to someone else's cock up it looks like they've lost out.