If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Seems to be a good place to put this info. It’s a four train service this coming weekend for the Alton bus rally.

Time Table
    http://www.watercressline.co.uk/Files/2010-07/timetabledownloadable.pdf

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

73096 was working service trains today - good to see her back in action!

3. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Here are a few pics I got last week when 73096 turned up unexpectedly at Alresford as we were waiting to go back to Alton, on its first run out since its repair.

I do like it in green!

73096 pics 005.jpg

73096 pics 004.jpg

73096 pics 001.jpg

73096 pics 003.jpg

Plus one of the DMU getting its roof made all nice again....

73096 pics 002.jpg

4. 73129

5. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Great to see 73096 back in service so thats one down two to go with the Black 5 and 31806 next . which will be first I wonder . Just a record shot from me of 73096 working on Sunday

6. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi Lineside,
    Thanks for sharing that superb photo from yesterday. We had a great day on 73096 and she's a credit to Frank and his team; smooth riding and free-steaming. Just delightful.

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    It's good to see the Mid-Hants progressing with these loco overhauls, but it does raise a question. Currently the railway cannot run an hourly schedule end-to-end, will this change when it has more engines?

Regards

8. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of the limitations on the MHR seems to be water - as far as I can tell everything takes water at Ropley and there is what seems like an interminable stop there en route to Alton. Presumablt that limits the scope for an hourly service.

The Mid Hants is building quite a fleet up at the moment, but will there be enough work for them all - especially if others start to arrive as rumoured?

9. Phil K

Phil K Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Starting to stray off topic a little. When I started there in 2003 (had to give up volunteering last year when work rosters changed) the railway did run an hourly service, with all trains passing at Ropley with the up service taking water. This led to a shorter turn around at Alresford, with the longer run round taking place at Alton. This changed to the current system where (on service one) the steam service has the longer turn round at Alresford, while the DMU has the long turn round at Alton.

I never asked why it was changed, but as a passenger I always would have preferred a longer run round at Alresford, more time to get a bite to eat from the buffet etc without missing out on a round trip.

10. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Water water everywhere . Well its more the wrong type of water. There is a water tower at Alton which can be used in an emergency and the building group are as I write this installing a water tank in the Picnic Area at Alresford as well . However these are supplied directly from the mains and all the inherrant problems that the use of Hampshires best hard water brings.
    Ropey has a VERY comprehesive water treatment system supplying the tower and platform crane and hydrants throught the yard.This was updated in the last few year and it is best that water is taken at Ropley for this reason. The Alresford tanks may well have a treatment system put in place as well .
    One might also concider that the current service is adequate for the number of passengers traveling . Its pointless to run more trains if they are empty.Coal costs and wear and tare being taken into account .
    Oh and heres a picture from Sunday of the only propper Mid Hants train that runs on the line .. Hampshire Unit 1125 ! View attachment 1471

11. 73129

Dont forget Dave 205025 is out again this coming weekend.

12. 73129

The reason why the MHR runs the current timetable is to allow a third service train to be operated between Alesford and Alton or to Medstead & Four Marks when required. This path is usually taken up on a Sunday by the Freight train or the Hampshire unit (205025).

13. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

As luck would have it, I was TTI on the Alton set on Sat 17 July, hauled by 73096. She seemed in fine form.

Back to Ropley yesterday (21 July) and so was 73096 with a problem needing attention.

45379 (black 5) shunted out of the shed to fill her tender to test for leaks. A lot of work going on with her.

31806 (U) continuing to make steady progress with pipe work etc.

76017 (Std4) dismantling in progress. A very stubborn steam brake cylinder eventually removed. No joy with freeing the LH piston rod

34007 and 92212 out on service train and footplate experience.

Quite a few new faces (to me) around - must be the holiday season

14. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

In case you didn't see the report on South Today there was a fire at Ropley in the carriage workshop on Monday evening - see www.watercressline.co.uk for more info.

Amongst other things the building contained the tender for 31806.

15. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

There's a thread for the fire here.

16. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Oi! Not totally true. BR standard Class 5s and Bulleids went over "The Alps" quite often at weekends during the electrification of the Bournemouth line in 1965 - 1967.

17. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

The context is a train that ran and worked the service on the the line not passed over it as per diversions . In that catergory we can count Class 42 Warships Black 5s et all!

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hence my use of the words, "not totally true". I didn't get where I am today without knowing when to use weasel words! LOL!

19. 73129

20. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking forward after the sad events at Ropley of the past 24hrs.

Is it feasible for 31806 to be outshopped using a hurriedly repainted tender off of 31874 or even for added interest to use the tender off of 30506, subject to it being in a satisfactory condition and with a compatible drawbar?

If my memory serves me right, a number of U`s were coupled to Urie/Maunsell watercart tenders during BR days, so it could be a possibility, bringing in a bit of revenue for the Urie group as well.