If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You had a nice sedate departure from Alresford - piccy below. :)

I had cracking runs behind both the 9F & Nellie - though for various reasons, Nellies run up the bank from Alton was the better of the two! :D:D:D

So thanks to the footplate crews for the memories.

DSS_9518_DxO_2_marked_01.JPG

green five likes this.
  2. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well considering that apart from brief moments there has been a Bulleid on the MHR roster whether original or rebuilt since 1979, then that statement holds true. Plus if the MHR`s mission statement is to recreate Southern Region steam in the 1950/60`s era then of course a Bulleid has to factor into that equation.

Anyway hopefully 34105 will give a level of reliability above what 34007 has over the last 8 years on the MHR. As some MHR folk have liked to point out in the past "Its a Ropley Job!"

3. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    I think that's a bit harsh on Wadebridge; she's been an excellent loco for the Mid Hants and was the mainstay of our services for quite a long time when we didn't have much else that worked. She's also done well at galas on other railways and we've had some great days with her at the West Somerset, Bodmin and Wenford and GWR in recent years, when I've been lucky enough to be her "minder".

Far from being unreliable, my experience of Wadebridge is that she's an engine which will soldier on when most of the others have fallen by the wayside. Debate will always rage as to which individual locos were the best and worst of Bulleid's pacifics, but I would make the case for Wadebridge being one of the most resilient. It will be interesting to see whether Swanage performs as well and whether a second overhaul will improve Wadebridge still further.

green five likes this.
  4. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    It's funny because in my experience, I always came to the MHR to see everything other than Wadebridge and almost always ended up on a train pulled by her because the visiting engine had failed in some way...! I'll never forget the excellent start out of Ropley at one of the autumn galas a few years back. I'm not a Bulleid fan by any means but I admired the sound and ease she seemed to move the train out.

green five likes this.
  5. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

34007 has been a constant source of niggling little problems (and some larger ones) since it arrived on the MHR. At times keeping it in traffic has required almost herculean efforts behind the scenes, but it has run many miles. It is now very tired and more obviously nearing the end of its' ticket than 850 (in my opinion). It is also my preference to work on the Maunsell engine. That was all I was saying really.

Personally I won't have any issues living with an MHR that (for the first time) from March will be free of Mr Bulleid's engines for a spell, but I realise that is a minority view.

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  6. S.A.C. Martin

I find it a shame so many Bulleids were saved when other pre grouping and grouping engines were lost, personally speaking, but that's my LNER bias showing through...

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    850 Alresford arrival.jpg

This was my last shot (low res version) of 850 arriving into Alresford yesterday. I guess it will be a while before we see this sight again.:(

Also check out the guy on the left having an incident with the bin. :Wideyed: I didn't notice the incident until I looked at the picture on the computer.

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Funny, every time I visited the MHR hoping for the Lord Nelson, I always seemed to get Wadebridge instead for some reason or another! I'm sure the LN knew when I was coming and entered a temporary sulk deliberately ...

What's the latest with the Urie S15s - they really will be worth seeing!

Tom

9. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Nellie will be on stand-by until 31/12 and in use in the event of Wadebridge or 92212 failing, so there is an outside chance of her hauling another train before she bows out.
    Very pleased to have made her last Alresford-Alton-Alresford round trip and Alresford-Ropley on her final run of the day.
    Some low-light pictures may follow.

10. Duty Druid

Confirms what I heard yesterday - sounds like the fitters may have been busy today!

11. js5646

js5646 New Member

I travelled on Nellie's 2 & 3 trips out of Alton today and it seemed like the crew were earning their money. Apparently, there were issues with the brakes dragging (3 attempts to get to Medstead on the 1st train I believe) and everything came to a grinding halt with the brakes on at the station throat to Medstead heading back to Alton on the 2nd round trip. And then to cap it-all the crew realised they were short of water at Ropley on the final eastbound and cut-off the train (standing in Platform 2) to shunt over the water-crane! It was 'War-on-the line' so the all delays can be put-down to 'enemy-action...!!

The loco did seem to be run hard with 6-on today and the 4-cylinder roar was impressive on the climbs. It will be missed!

Romsey likes this.
  12. Duty Druid

She ran like clockwork yesterday - no dragging brakes or lack of water - especially the run I had behind her from Alton! :)

So, I would put the misdemeanours down to today's crew - they have plenty of chances to take water in the timetable :rolleyes:

13. 99Z

99Z Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  14. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    I agree Nellie performed well up to the final trip and will be sorely missed. Some regular passengers couldn't believe it was the final day in traffic for 850. Certainly she is much more steam tight than some main line locos!
    The Ropley station staff understood that the first westbound trip was in trouble due to adhesion problems in the cutting between Hampshire Hunt Bridge and M&4M station. considering 92212 slipped leaving Ropley Eastbound , that does seem likely. The railhead contamination was noticeable throughout the line.

All in all a fitting farewell and commemoration of ERPS who did the complex and fraught restoration and Ropley Depot who maintained her in good condition up to the final day.

Cheers, Neil

15. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Nellie was a little low on water as the final and previous run she ran wrong line (up on the down line) through Ropley and thus not able to take water.

16. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
  17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    If Draper's of Hull had copied Woodham's of Barry then you would have had more LNER examples preserved but sadly that didn't happen and the preservation world largely had to make do with what was in Barry and that included a large number of Bulleid Pacifics but having said that, the vast majority of locos in Barry were not Bulleids.

18. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Ironic that the only loco to survive Draper's of Hull was not LNER - but an LMS Black Five.

19. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Indeed. IIRC Mr. Draper was rather fond of Black Fives.

20. S.A.C. Martin

Absolutely. Don't get me wrong - we play the cards we're dealt and I'm grateful for any locomotives that survived the cull from British Railways (Bulleid designed or otherwise). I just find it a shame there is such an imbalance. Two B1s and double digit Black Fives for example. Countless Halls, but no Grange, Saint or County (all being recreated mind).