If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. OldChap

OldChap Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sadly very true. I personally was involved in the late 1980's - early 1990's and the MHR management was very anti anything that wasn't Mk1/2 and almost 'ready to run'

The negativity and obstruction was the tipping point for me to leave the line, I moved abroad a couple of years later and its sad really as over the years I have done well financially and could afford to fund a restoration of a SR carriage, that said I have often thought which coach I would have tried to buy and restore and S1456S was always top of my list.

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

The MHR moved away from MK2 coaches sometime ago after a customer survey found them to modern.

3. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Well old chap , now that yourself and the Railway have moved on, would you still be of a mind to aid the finance of S1456S.?

Please private E-Mail me if you will?

Kindest regards
    Chris

4. OldChap

OldChap Member

Chris - Sent you a PM.

5. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Michael , I have sent you a lengthy reply.

Kindest regards
    Chris:

6. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

I would like to say the following . If the much critisised former Mid Hants management had not purchased the Mk1s and certainly M2s we would have not been able to turn out a full and excellent set of Green coaches as the Green Train and have Mid Hants locomotives and coaches running on the main line ! .
    I do agree that there were many vintage coaches that were purchased and were destined never to turn a wheel on the line however what facilities did the railway have to restore these coaches . None at All .
    It is only with the current regime and money that it has become possible to do this work .
    So its all progress on the line and all for the better . Will we see a carrage shed to keep these vintage coaches under cover ?? As long as the Meon Line is not sold off there would be the ideal and only avaliable space to build one.
    Time will tell .

7. 73129

Hi Dave,

The only issue in using the Meon line would be the local vandels. Just look what happen to the Bulleid coach that was sent there back in the 80s.

8. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

True there were no facilities to restore them at the time. Unfortunately management seemed to take the view that this meant they should be disposed of, rather than taking the longer term view and keeping them as an asset for the future when restoration facilities were available.

So now the Mid Hants does have a carriage restoration workshop, it is having to borrow carriages to restore as it's own collection of heritage coaches is so depleted.

The Mid Hants once had 4 Bulleid coaches, 5 Maunsells, and 4 LSWR coaches. All that remains now is the LSWR brake coach, and the 2 Bulleid brakes - and these have only survived due to the hard work of the railways vintage carriage group and their constant battles with management.

But it's good that things are looking up now, and we can look forward to a 3 coach Bulleid set in the coming years.

9. 73129

I wonder if the iron clad could ever be put back in to service again. There was talk of this coach leaving the MHR sometime ago.

10. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I think there was talk it might be restored after the Bulleids are done - but nothing definite and certainly very long term if it did happen.

If it was to leave the Mid Hants then Swanage might be interested, it would be an ideal partner for their Ironclad TK which they are planning to restore.

11. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Agreed Lee.

The best place for a carriage shed IMHO is in the cutting south of Alresford.

As for borrowing coaches, I think the words should be "on loan".

Things are looking up.

Best regards
    Chris:

12. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Is there a difference?

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Yes Stephen I think there is .

"On Loan " IMHO means that we are taking full responsibility for the welfare of the coach including maintenance.

Regards
    Chris:

14. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

I was thinking the Meon formation at Butts Jct the railway owns the land there not the Meon Siding which in the fullness of time may return to double track to the Butts .. However the local Residents will not like the idea will they . David

15. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought that land was sold for development a few years ago?

16. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

17. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Got it - thanks. Can just remember when that line was open into the hospital!

18. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    David , I agree that the local residents would be miffed to say the least. I would also think that the local scrotes would have a field day in that area no matter how secure a covered building would be.

IMHO the cutting south of Alresford covered over is a better option and easier to keep an eye on too in the long term plus it is easier for marshalling purposes.

Happy new year.

Chris:

19. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

I`ve always thought that piece of land is an asset that could be put to good use, however i think the biggest problem the site has is access or rather lack of it.

I suppose if the site were to accommodate a carriage storage shed, all that would be needed is a pedestrian path for volunteers to gain access ect.

As for local residents, well their back gardens back onto the site but their houses are generally far enough away to not be disturbed, however i would fully expect them to complain about visual intrusion.

One big problem is the length of shed that could go on the site.

I doubt it could be much more than enough for a four coach shed with double track, giving enough space for eight coaches, which would then make me think that it would not be such an attractive idea.

In which case Chris`s suggestion of Alresford cutting is probably a more cost effective and practical solution.

20. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I think relations between the Bluebell and MHR are being increased.

The Bluebell have said they have 4 Bulleid coaches ahead of 1456 in the restoration queue so as they say on their website the coach will be on a 25 year loan for restoration and operation rather than waiting 25 years at the Bluebell before being restored.

Also heading from the Bluebell to the MHR is a luggage van (forgive me my carriage and wagon knowledge is not great so it may not be the correct type of van) BY 653 which was being used as a stores van at Horsted Keynes. Again it is to be overhauled and run on the MHR.

And rumours are that 92212 will be heading on loan from the MHR to the Bluebell from March to July to cover the gap left by 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair until 847 is available for service.