If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    After 847 and 541 are running again I believe the Maunsell Loco Society wanted to carry out some work to the bottom end, but she requires a new inner firebox so she's some way off yet.

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Yeah she is. There is a Stowe Fund to steam the loco but not sure how much has been raised for the overhaul.

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Everyone talks about getting all the A4s together. Is there a reasonable chance in getting all three Schools in steam together. With any luck a steam gala to boot at the BB or the MHR. Now that gets my thumbs up.

:thumb:

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

£ 60,000.00 raised to date ( From Maunsell News Winter 2011/2012). In excess of £ 200,000.00 required. Plan to start overhaul once 847 is complete.

5. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    £60,000 isn't bad though £200,000 is quite a big target.

6. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Dont forget that Repton is also out of ticket, i dont think that any chance to see all 3 in steam will happen for a good 5 years or so, depending on where abouts the other 2 are in each railways overhaul queues.
    something a bit more theasable would be to try and get 3 NRM 4-4-0's in steam together which could be done in a very short timeplan, 30120 is in ticket, 3440 is due to be retubed to enable it to work its ticket out and Cheltenham should hopefully be out towards the middle of the year, and arnt all 3 expected to be at york for Yorkfest?

7. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Just to confirm that 30925 passed its boiler test and exam on Thursday . Good news indeed . Just needs the super heater elements fitted and it can return to Eastleigh more or less a year since it was craned off and taken to Ropley.
    Well done to all concerned ..

8. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

A bit more progress on the KX bridge yesterday - another span of balustrade went up, together with two supporting bits at the embankment end.

An S15 boiler is now in the boiler shop - Cheltenhams boiler now gone.

Superheater tubes are coming out of Swanage - about a dozen were out yesterday with about 20 to go, plus small tubes.

Tornado has been with us for 3 weeks now for winter maintenance - due to be on service trains 18-19 February.

Work on Thomas, Standard 4s etc continues.

More detail on Locomotive News | Watercress Line

The old Ropley Manor is due for demolition next week. If you have any personal possessions in there, this weekend is your last chance to retrieve them.

9. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just a question about 34105, when is it anticipated the boiler lift will take place? Seeing as a new smokebox and cab repairs seem to be taking place with it in situ, won't it have to come off, like for the (out of frames) testing?

10. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Yes the boiler will come off when its time in the boiler shop comes. The fabrication of the new smokebox and cab with the boiler in situ make sense as it means it will all fit correctly when the boiler is re fitted and the loco is further forward because of that once the boiler is completed.
    When a boiler is steam tested usualy off the loco these days its certificate is ticking away so the more done now the faster the loco returns to service .... Good forward planning from the boys at Ropey..

11. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

Re 34105s boiler:

I understand it will be lifted in the next month or two - it will need modification to the cradles that were used for Cheltenhams boiler and theres plenty to keep the boiler shop occupied in the meantime. Its going to take a little while to get the tubes out and any other jobs taht can be done in the main workshop

The smokebox and cab have been constructed so that when the boiler comes back from its overhaul, the smokebox and cab will fit without alteration. That should minimise the re-assembly time.

12. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Very good, didn't know that smokeboxes could be taken off/fitted with the boiler still on. Any time saving measures must surely be a must

13. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

Re 34105s smokebox
    I don't thinlk that the smokebox can be fitted/removed with the boiler in its frames. The old one was gas-axed off, but the front and rear paltes were carefully kept as templates. This smokebox has been fabricated in situ so it fits the end of the boiler with the holes all drilled in the right position, and fits the steam and exhaust ports of the three cylinders. If you look at The Wednesday Gang: The Quest | Watercress Line you will see that the smokebox is more-or-less hexagonal in cross section and has a plate at the back with a circular flange that fits the front boiler ring. That picture shows the smokebox before the front plate was welded on so you can see some of the detail inside - unfortunately you can't see the cut-outs in the bottom for the steam and exhaust ports. Incidentally,the smokebox and the square-section exhaust pipes were fabricated by Steve, assisted by Alex - they are a work of art.

I haven't asked but I suspect the boiler will be lifted with the new smokebox attached - I don't know if it will stay attached once it gets to the boiler shop. Read the blogs under Loco News on the watercress line web site and all will be revealed

14. 850LordNelson

850LordNelson New Member

I belive all the boilers that are removed from there frames at the MHR, apart from 76017s (Removed due to its replacement), have there smokeboxes fitted :) As you say time saving! ;)

15. 73129

This will also be the first time the boiler has been off the frames in preservation. The boiler wasn't lift off the frames on her first overhaul.

16. Colin Charman

Colin Charman New Member

A good day under Tornado today re-fitting the brake rigging whilst others put in the brick arch and re-fitted cylinder and valve covers.

I had a few minutes to ask Steve about Swanages smokebox. Turns out that it can be removed prior to lifting the boiler. It sits on top of the middle sylinder and has cut-outs where it aligns with all the steam/exhaust ports - they don't protrude inside it - so its a matter of lifting it off the studs that will secure it to the middle cylinder.

17. 73129

18. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Thats interesting, i might be interested!!, very interested

19. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Anybody know where the Yankee tanks are off to?

20. 73129

I was thinking about asking the same question myself. I did noticed at the weekend one of the tanks has already gone which only leaves 30076 which hasn't had any work done to it since arriving at the MHR. I would think both locos would need a considerable amount of time and money spent on them before they could run again.