If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. 850LordNelson

850LordNelson New Member

Barrow Hill Project 62 Home Page for firebox repairs! :)

2. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    So if 30075 is at BH is she coming back, or she going elsewhere, seeing as (I believe) 30076 is on the move too?

3. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Funnily I was going to ask about the Yugo Tanks as at the Autumn Gala I saw both 30075 and 30076 in the headshunt at Ropley and thought 30075 had a few years left on its ticket.

4. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I was under the impression both locos are leaving and won't be returning?

5. Duty Druid

So if both the tanks are off to pastures new, is this an exercise of freeing up a bit of space or is there the possibility of something else turning up ( in what ever state)?

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Class 127 has now turned up at Alresford the other day and class 08 (08322) has also returned from Eastleigh works.

7. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Hi Dave, both yugo tanks are not coming back as I understand it.

Something to do with a knackered boiler the group can ill afford to replace I believe.

A simple question to put to all, does anyone think that "Freddie Pile" will ever be restored?????????

Regards
    Chris:

8. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman

I think that is rather unfair to the SFP group. Bear in mind that the MHR would not have allowed them space if they were not going to get something out of it, heritage railways have to be pragmatic. As I understand it, the owning group are conducting a 'Rolls-Royce' restoration with the right thickness metal and BFB wheels under the tender, to create as authentic a loco as they can. I also believe that a great deal of the small parts are stored waiting for the putting back together stage.

So yes, I believe that it will be. If you have your doubts, perhaps you ought to get involved and lend a hand, or drop a few quid in a collection box for them, rather than ridicule their efforts?

9. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that "SFP" will be restored, in the fullness of time and i am led to believe that a large amount of parts have been manufactured to very exacting standards to allow this to happen.

The old 34058 website, that has now been taken offline used to detail this.

When she moved to the MHR last year, we were promised updates to her progress on the MHR website and details from the old website put up on the MHR site also, but neither so far has happened. Is this missing data ever going to be put back up?

I guess until 34058 is moved to Ropley, progress on the loco is going to remain limited, whilst it is stored at Alresford.

10. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    That the sort of answer one has come to expect from someone who is not involved with the Mid-Hants , it was merely a question not a ridicule, I suggest a deal for you.
    I will get involved hands on if you will, what say you to this?????????????????????

Regards
    Chris:

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I would supose that the question is, does the MHR need another 7p in the short term, if not, then there would be no pressing need to get the engine to ropley with 2 4mts on the go and Swanage to overhaul then i would say that future motive power needs are going to be catered for , SFP will be done i would guess when there is a slot in the schedule once the engines that are already in the works are done and in traffic and its decided its her turn to come into works ,Dont forget there is also 41312, 30506, and 35005 that have got to be fitted in , i would expect that 35005 will be worked on at eastleigh , 30506 i believe is well on the way , that leaves 41312 which i believe is in fair condition isnt it ?

12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Is 34058 actually going to be restored by the MHR or by its owning/support group (as the S15s are) ? If so I guess that progress depends on available space as much as anything.

13. Duty Druid

14. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I'm afraid that as I read it it sounded like you were almost laughing at their attempts - I think the excessive question marks did it. So I am sorry to have misconstrued your post. I am afraid that I live over two hours drive from the Mid-Hants and do not have the money to make that journey regularly. However I volunteer on the SVR and when I am not in Uniform I do help the maintenance gang at Arley - my home station - with this and that. If I ever end up living near the MHR, I imagine that I would probably endeavour to get involved there.

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Apology accepted Jamie and no harm done.

Time to ove on :)

Best regards
    Chris:

16. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

The immediate running order for restorations at MHR is like this (today - probably change tomorrow):
    1. Thomas - will be running by Easter
    2. Cheltenham - possible steam test in frames in March, but NOT certain
    3. 76017
    4. 30506
    5. Douglas
    6. Swanage

That little lot soaks up the next 2-3 years. After that I would think that 75079 might make an appearance by about 2018, by which time some decisions will have to be made about 850, 35005 and 34007. It will come down to a) cost and b) money available to a particular loco. If the NRM were willing 850 might head the group, and my money would be on "quick" turnarounds for that and 34007. 34058 might be the next logical loco after 850 and 007 depending on money available etc, and then again the rebuilts are in many ways better machines so perhaps it might jump ahead of at least 007, and maybe 850 too.

Don't forget that 30499 should steam in the next ten years too (at least that is the Urie group's plan).

45379 will be up for its 10 year by 2020 ish, and that might also have a swift return to service providing the boiler remains in good condition as we expect it will.

41312 is down to the owner to decide what to do, so we'll all have to wait that one, but it is in good overall condition.

I can't see why we would need / want to begin on 35005 until perhaps 2020 at the earliest, but if a lot of money went into the appeal that could change. It isn't very likely at the moment that it will be restored at Eastleigh, but stranger things have happened.

All of which is a longwinded way of saying that 35005 and 34058 are quite a few years away from running.

17. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

What about S15 No. 828?

And surely a decision has been made with regards to 35005 to some degree anyway. The very recent appeal would mean they want to get her back running when funds permit and would surely take priority after current projects are completed when the money does come in. Specially if what was said is true about the boiler being done as funds come in?

I personally would think 75079 would be sooner than 2018, i know every locomotive is different but didn't 45379 take in the region of 5 years to complete when the MHR really started on her restoration? I think 75079 was started last year so would it really take up to 7 years?

18. 21B

Which also answers the 828 question.

19. 21B

Oh and 45379 did take about 7 years start to finish.

20. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

But isn't 828 being done separately like the Urie group with their S15's...?

And this link here seems to give an indication 45379 took 5:

Black 5 No. 45379 has fire lit for the first time since 1965! | Watercress Line

Of course it is possible the full scale restoration didn't commence until 2-3 years in but they do seem quite concentrated on the Standard 4 now, so as i said, I would be very surprised it would take 7 years. Plus as i said, not every locomotive is the same. It could take far less, it could take far more. After all, didn't 34072 only take in the region of 2 years to be restored!