If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Would that be because 925 has only just been painted in Southern Railway Livery and is in no need of a repaint!? Plus I believe that the NRM has some say in the question of livery.

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

So on an economic scale is it time for photographers to put their hands in their pockets and contribute towards the repaint?? .The has been a lot of negative press recently about "freeloading photographers" at an event at Froxfield. But there again there have been loco repaints paid for by photographers.

That's a weak argument. A new coat of paint is not contributing to the wellbeing of the loco, it's just self interest on the part of the photographers. If the argument for repainting "Nwelson" and "Cheltenham" is that the SR livery doesn't fit the MHR image then why were they taken on in the first place? Perhaps it is time for them to move on tosomewhere where their current livery does fit in. I always understood that it was the NRM's preference was that they should move around, so that the maximum number of people should be able to see them.

3. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was fortunate to film 777 'Sir Lamiel' at the GCR at the weekend. My wife was later asked (OK forced) to judge the results and for once she was quite enthusiastic. At last she said, a loco that isn't painted in BR green or black!
    I suppose she has a point. As a non enthusiast, she may well represent the vast majority of the public who visit our beloved preserved steam railways. <BJ>

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I think from the one the magazines someone from the MHR said that once 925 and 850 have double headed they could do what they liked with 925. Not sure if this is true but it'd be a bit early to repaint her.

As for 850 I'd prefer her to be painted to match 925 and 777 like she was the 80's.

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I think that means visiting other lines, not a change of custodian months after completion :D

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

If you are thinking of repainting a loco at a time other than when it is strictly necessary on the grounds of the condition of the old paint job, you have to think of the whole opportunity cost, not just the direct cost of labour and materials.

In other words, doing so will take the loco out of service for several weeks, so something else would have to cover any planned duties. It would occupy space in the workshop that could be used by something else. And the labour involved in the repaint - whether paid or volunteer - could all be doing some other task on another project. All of those things have an impact on the overall productivity of the works, in effect depriving other projects of money, space and labour. So the real cost of doing a repaint at a time other than when strictly required is much greater than the cost of materials and direct labour charges.

If, after considering that, photographers or other enthusiasts want to chip in the real cost of the project to see a loco in a different livery - great. But personally, I'd consider the resources (time, money, space...) would be better spent on another project that had a more direct impact on progressing an out-of-service loco through its overhaul.

None of the above, incidentally, is an argument that locos don't need repainting at periodic intervals; and when they do, if people want to see them rotate through a variety of liveries, then great. But I question the wisdom of repainting a loco at a time when it doesn't actually need doing; and at the very least, making sure that those who want to see it happen pay a realistic amount for the privilege.

Tom

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

30925 in BR black would be very nice alongside 30120 next year................

8. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    PAINT FROTH!!!

9. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Lost me there with that one or am I too old to understand!

10. Jamessquared

Part of the "all-purpose, cut out and keep NatPres standard forum thread" (TM):

Post 1: "We're restoring loco X. Early days yet and still years of work to go, but here is a photo of the team cleaning rust off some component" etc etc
    Post 2: What colour are you going to paint it?
    Post 3: Would look great in BR green

That is the way of all threads in the Steam Loco forum...

:banplease:

Tom

11. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    'Froth' - verb. Etymology: the frothings of a rabid dog. To fixate overtly fixate on and/or get emotive about a particular topic/feature, usually one of trivial importance. Used, often derogatorily, by enthusiasts describing other enthusiasts.

And yes, before anyone points it out, I have been a paint frother before now and doubtless will again!

12. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Didn't take long, did it, 925 has been in traffic how long? and already some are saying paint it in BR colours, eventually when she comes due for a repaint thats the time to think about changing the livery , not 2 months after she enters service.

Has York officially offered 33001 to the Mid Hants? i see in the mag that it was talked about,saying that it has been offered by the NRM, does this mean a return to york for 850 and how useful would a charlie be? if it was accepted , ok on freights, but wasn't the vacuum brake poor on the class?
    i would love to see 1874 go to york once its released from the agreement and 33001 head down south. obviously it would have to be a 2 separate deals , given the parties involved

13. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Well my comment about BR black was light hearted, I am happy for 925 to stay as she is. It would be nice to see 850 in a different livery as she approaches the end of her certificate as she has carried the current one for quite a while. I didn't realise that this paint thing caused passions to run so high! Having said that It is good to see Tornado in a range of liveries, including BR Blue, I remember seeing CanPac in this (inauthentic) livery and she looked rather impressive.

14. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

the last time 850 was seen , in public as 30850 in green livery must have been a Brighton station open day, when the locos stored at Preston park were towed into the station , i can remember it, 33001, 45000, 30850, 30245 , can't remember the exact year, but it was soon afterwards that the engines were dispersed to verious sites .

15. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I'd just like to see Nellie pointing the other way for a change, she's been facing the 'wrong' way for far too long now........... as for livery its an NP thing, I couldn't care less if they painted it bright pink with blue dots...... :peep: :becky:

16. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

All the comments about 925 being repainted are light hearted. Maybe sometime in the future we will see her change livery.

17. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

If he NRM are lookin for a home for the Q1, how about considering Swanage, rather than putting all their eggs in the Mid Hants basket? A Bullied that is rather more suitable for day to day use! I wouldn't have thought that its poor braking characteristics would be a problem, I don't think they were ever an issue at the Bluebell were they?

18. Jamessquared

Q1s had a reputation for poor braking in SR days; however that was when working with unfitted trains and I think was essentially that you had an engine with the haulage ability of, say, a Black 5, but with much less weight on the wheels. So there wasn't much braking capacity when working with the size of goods trains they were able to haul. I don't think there was any question about their braking ability when working with a fitted train - when in any case, much of the braking takes place on the carriages anyway.

In "Bulleid of the Southern", HAV Bulleid writes:

Tom

19. 73129

Does anyone what work would be required to resteam 33001. I remember hearing there was an issue with a cylinder liner or the cylinder block but apart from that what other major work would be required.

Cheers

20. 73129

There's now another update on Urie S15 30506. Last weekend the cylinder blocks were removed to allow the front part of the frames to be cut off and new front end frames to be welded on.

ULS