If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Mine were certainly light hearted. It is so easy to get people going on this forum when livery is concerned. I don't mind what colour 925 runs in, it's just a pleasure to see her running again.

2. green five

At the AGM in September it was mentioned that the Q1 was offered to the MHR but they had to decline the offer at the moment as they have enough projects going on. But we may see 33001 at the MHR in a few years time.............

3. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by 73129 [​IMG]
    All the comments about 925 being repainted are light hearted. Maybe sometime in the future we will see her change livery.

If your being 'light hearted' then please add a smiley, as how are us mere mortals able to differentiate between meaningful discussion and someone waving a wooden spoon! :smile:

4. green five

Okay, I will do next time!

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There certainly seems to be a determination at the Mid-Hants not to run short of serviceable engines!. With 850, 925, 34007, 31806, 45379 and 92212 all in working order, it's no wonder that four out of these locos have all been on short- or longer-term visits to other lines during the past year. By my calculations, 499, 506, 828, 34105, 75079 and 76017 are all in various stages of overhaul, and 35005 and 41312 look like they are shortly to follow suit. It's hardly surprising that 33001 was declined for the time being. It would be stuck in a fairly long overhaul queue by the look of things.

Apart from Thomas, Douglas and the JB engines, this more or less covers the entire MHR steam fleet, apart from 34058 and 80150. Out of interest, is anything happening with either of these two?

6. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Maybe, but what state is the charlie in mechanically, if she is in need of less money spending on it than say 80150 , then she could come into the frame in 2 or 3 years, 850 has had a lot of attension recently, so who knows, that could be turned round in a short space of time , after all the MHR looks to be the prefered Southern NRM outpost so, when can we expect 737 to turn up for overhaul ,:pray::dance:

7. matt41312

matt41312 Member

I understand from fairly reliable sources the Charlie requires crown stay replacement. Nothing outside the realms of possibility for the guys in their boilershop at Ropley though!

8. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    With a two steam service for much of the year (including weekends like 17/18 November, when no service trains ran, but Watercress Belle and a RAT ran, the MHR needs three serviceable locos really, of those listed 31806 will be off the railway in 2014, 92212 is on long term hire to the Bluebell (to November 2013) and 34007 is not in fantastic condition.
    Not a loco dept volunteer or staff myself but my understanding is that a lot of fettling of 850 has produced a very reliable engine, though I am not sure when the ticket runs out (2016?), 925 is spanking new and 45379 is running well. 30506 is currently awaiting some major frame surgery but presumably will be ready late next year or early '14. 34105 and 76017 are advancing - anyone have projected dates for these back in service??- 499 and 828 are a bit further away - 75079 also needs a lot of work and a new tender. 80150 and 34058 are hulks and will need huge amounts of time. The Ivatt tank, being privately owned and presumably in reasonable nick, could possibly be turned round pretty quickly - again anyone have more info on this?
    35005 is subject to an fundraising appeal (yes, I have contributed!) and following the successful restoration of 925 at Eastleigh there is a precedent for a fast track restoration, if Knight Rail Services are not too busy, so maybe she will jump the queue - lost track of where her tender is now though!
    Lots of work to keep the Ropley lads and lasses occupied.I stand ready to be corrected on any of the above if anyone has proper info!:)

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I don't know whether it makes any difference but Knight's Rail Services is now owned by Arlington Fleet Services, Bruce is concentrating on his train decontamination and component recovery/storage business.

Chris

10. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    Ah, I do remember reading about that now you mention it.

11. mcjlf1

mcjlf1 New Member

Engineering Manager
    Well, 34058 isn't quite as bad as it looks. Loads of bits have been made/sourced during its time at the AVR. It's not like starting from scratch ex Barry, but yes it will still need quite a bit of work, but perhaps not quite as much as 80150.

12. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Totally agreed, really the overhaul of 34058 should be no more onerous than that being carried out on say 30499.

It comes with nearly all the parts and the (kit) just needs putting together. With a fair bit of volunteer input and some paid staff assistance there is no reason why it should take no more than 3/4 years.

Perhaps the tenders for 34007 and 34058 could be constructed simultaneously, to my mind that would make sense.

Also when 80150 was purchased, wasn`t a provisional completion date of 2017/18 mooted for both locomotives? Certainly the standard tank was quoted that date by Colin Chambers in one of the monthly rags.

13. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    Ah, I didn't realise Fred Pile was so complete. Didn't Ropley also build the tender for P and O line so I suppose could do the job again quite quickly if the money was there?

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Looking around Ropley yesterday. The S15 group were putting the cab roof on 30499 and were also working on the frames of 30506.

15. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

I'm wondering if the MHR website is ever going to be updated - because from where I'm standing at the moment it would appear that as of 1st Jan there is no timetable or special events for next year!......................... From Joe public's point of view, that aint good ....................................................................................

16. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Relax, I am sure that prior to 31st December a full and comprehensive list of events and timetable for 2013 will appear.

I do agree though that the updates to the website do appear nowadays to be very sporadic in nature and don't generally tend to take place much during the working week(Mon-Friday). Perhaps its managed mostly by volunteers rather than the paid staff, which would explain this.

Some reports seem to appear nearly two weeks after submission as of late, but I suppose they need management approval before posting.

17. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

This was all talked about on another thread a few weeks ago. But I must say its surprising they haven't updated next years events. The printed timetable/events is all ready available to members and is contained within their MHR news which came out at the end of last week.

18. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Don't worry I am :D

I just find it strange that there is no calendar for next year or the family orientated events on the website ( excepted) Thomas , when most other lines are already pushing events for 2013!

19. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

I received my MH News yesterday and noticed the enclosed timetable/events and thought that the inclusion of extra themed events was a good idea for the family market. Considering one of the new attractions (Wallace & Grommit weekend) is being added for February I would have thought an early online update would be most beneficial?

Other events for those interested and not received the timetable include the usual Thomas weeks. Peppa returns, Wizard week makes a comeback and Binky Bear is there in July. A Diesel Gala is in for 26th-28th April and the Autumn Steam Gala is now the last weekend in October.

I don't have the copy with me but can post relevent dates if interested later (unless the website beats me to it).

20. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    See also this thread http://railways.national-preservation.com/heritage-railways-centres-uk/38272-2013-timetables-2.html

I posted the full MHR schedule there (post 9)