If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Anyone know what's rostered for the Santa's this weekend? Is it top n tailed steam or steam and diesel as they are only running out of Alresford this weekend?

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I hear loco to be used on Santa's will be 31806 and 925 but this could always change. With any luck 50027 will also get a look in with top and tailing the first round trips of the day.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the info.

4. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Don't forget this weekend is only Alresford Medstead.. Alton end doesn't start until 8th of December ...

5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    31806 on Countryman Christmas today. Talking of restorations, the Alresford 08 was huling round the Bedpan trailer today (at one point with the MK1 Pullman attached at the other end in asort of bizzare auto train formation!) Anyone know whether this DMU is going to be restored or not?

6. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

It isn't.

7. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Good to know lol .... Now if only it were a centre coach for 1125... 925 and 31806 were in steam on Ropley shed Friday pm . It looks like 850 is the spare loco so unfortunately its all tender first out of Alresford for the end of year services and into the new year.

8. 73129

Nice and sunny today a shame about tender first running but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. It could be even worse. We could have tender first running from Alton to Ropley with a diesel at the other end.

I see the Llangollen diesel group are removing parts from the 127 unit for their unit.

9. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

How can the MHR restore the Bedpan if bits are going to other railways? Hmmmm

10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Is this the unit that arrived from the SDR having been donated by its owners? If so, it doesn't seem to represent much in the way of gratitude.

I'm just waiting for someone to comment that one less diesel is major progress....

11. 73129

It can't be restored the unit is to far gone and would need a considerable amount of money injected in to it before it could go in to revenue service. All the door pillars are completely rotted out for a start. Plus there are other issues with it.

12. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

If this is the case the railway needs to get a trailer coach for 1125 so its able to run at its former 3 car capacity. Its been used as an excuse by some as the reason 1125 isn't of use to the line . If it is the case the Bedpan is not to be restored then lets hope siding space is freed up soon.
    How about another 3H unit !

13. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

A Six Car Hampshire Unit would look rather nice.... Might only be a pipe dream though. Are there any that need repairs or are waiting to be sold elsewhere?

14. 73129

I'm up for a three car unit. But didn't BR remove the centre cars because they couldn't keep to their timings on the MHR line? I've seen photos of two and three car sets running on the line. The next best thing to having a three car set would be to repaint the unit back in to all over BR blue. Are you in the market for that Dave?

15. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Diesels, and DMUs have their place on heritage railways, be nice when we have a green 33 back on the Mid Hants. Or a Warship of course! I still harbour ambitions to see the class 11 on a short trip freight between Ropley and Medstead. The 08 was up at Northside lane on a PW train (complete with red CCT) recently

16. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Regarding keeping time a 3 car is only marginally slower than a 2 car and on a 25 mph railway not an issue at all. The line ran with 3 cars on most workings in latter years anyway.

As for the cost of another unit that would be interesting as they were donated to various railways by the leasing company at the end of their BR lives.

Liveries ? . 1125 I would rather see in Green as she is now but maybe if we had another unit at some point then Blue is equally appropriate for the Mid Hants. I remember some trips with my dad to Alton towards the end of the lines days . What a ride !! over 80 mph down Medstead Bank.

17. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Looks like your the only one to think that way. :rolleyes1:

18. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

It is a pity that the driving cars on 1125 aren't of class 101 to 127 more like!

The 2H definately has its place on the railway, but it is never going to be a sensible replacement for the 121 and 117 we used to have. The 127 might have been, but alas the work required is just overwhelming. Every door pillar, every hinge and every door lock. Yes all do-able, and all stuff done many times before, but a lot of money (think 6 figures) was needed for train that could never (alas) generate the kind of return needed to make it worthwhile. Not everything can be rescued, but we are doing our very best to ensure that this set's fate helps others survive.

The trailer car is staying though, and will be put into service as it is effectively another TSO in capacity with the advantage of more doors and less weight.

19. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

20. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

So the dmu from the south Devon railway is being scrapped because of its poor condition? Was it not inspected by anyone from the mid hants first before they agreed to accept it? After all if someone gives something away for nothing there is usually a reason.
    I know they paid nothing for it, but there was an appeal to raise the several thousand pounds in transport costs to bring it to the mid hants. I just wonder how people who contributed to this appeal feel, knowing their money was used to transport a load of rusty useless scrap.