If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Spring Gala 23-25 March 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Duty Druid, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Nice little collection! I'm hoping the weather holds - can't get down there until Sunday...

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Don't park in the farmers field at Wanders Curve/Rookwood lane. Someone did today and was blocked in by the farmer.

3. 73129

Forgot to add the police also turned up at this location today. I take this was about the car blocking the entrance to te large field a Rookwood lane but I can't confirm this. All I can say the farmer was every upset about not being able to drive his farm machinery in to his field.

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Come to think of it I did see a Police car earlier on one of the services between Ropley and Medstead. This was probably what it was.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Had a good day yesterday although it got off to a bad start. Even though we left home early there seemed to be traffic and road works everywhere we went in our local area. So having sat in queues for a while and a getting a good run along the bypass we still managed to miss the first run from Ropley with the M7 which was working up the hill to Medstead as we came down the road from there. So we spent a little while at Ropley to have a look around at all the impressive work going on; the Kings Cross Footbridge, 75079, 76017 and 34105 in the works, the two S15's. The MHR has certainly come a long way in the 35 years of it's existence. I have to say it was very sad though to see 73096 sitting in the yard in a very poor state already. I hope it is not too long before something happens with this great loco.

We then caught the "local" with the M7 on her way back from Alton and travelled with her back from Alresford to Alton and then on to Medstead. A shame about the square wheels on the carriage right behind the M7 on the runs out of Alresford as the sound completely drowned out the sounds of the M7! I did hear quite a few people moaning about this. The interior of the carriage was superb though. We then had a run with the U-boat back to Alresford where we had very nice ice cream's which were proving to be very popular. After a browse in the shop and info office we caught the last round trip with 850 which was in good form but she kept slipping when running tender first. At Alton the crew noticed that there was a major "fluid" leak under the cab of 850 which was dripping onto the track causing her to slip. Fortunately it didn't cause any problems when running smokebox first and 850 got her passengers back to Alresford.

6. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Lineside fires between Medstead and Alton today. I counted about 3 instances. Fire service called. I'm on 53 at the moment which had to run round at Medstead and I think 45379 is stuck at Alton with the freight.

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Lineside fire between M4M & Alton .Fire Brigade in attendance. Service will run between Alresford &M4M only at present.

8. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    As I understand it there is a lack of water on 53 which and has had some water put in to get her to Ropley. Her train has been shunted for the moment at Alresford. I noticed 53 still has signs of her previous liviery including her numberplate and numbers on her bunker. I downloaded the Nat Pres app so thats why i'm able to send updates.

I anyone else has the app and is reading if you see a youngish chap with glasses in a red and white polo shirt it'll be me.

Edit. Lineside fires put out and services resuming to Alton but we're due to leave Alresford late.

9. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Spent a fruitless 90 mins in Chawton woods waiting for a train! I noticed yesterday how dry the ground was, so in a way, not suprised. Saw the 14:45 M7 up service run past Bishops Sutton pretty much on time

10. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Top marks to the railway for keeping us informed. I was stuck at Alton and decided to take the bus to Ropley, rather than hang about, waiting for something to happen. Had a great day out!

11. 73129

Led to believe the line side fire was at Hampshire Hunt bridge.

12. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Credit to the MHR for getting the timetable back in shape albeit not with the intended locos. I swear I saw 2 fires this morning and scorch marks from another. Also saw the Fire Brigade turn up at Medstead. 53 it seems only did need water as it left LE to Ropley just after 92212 and 850 top and tailed into Alresford and then as we departed she was on the back of 45379's train and was back on her 3 coach train later in the day. The Crompton Class 33 was deployed at one point after the services stopped to Alton and I last saw it on the back of one of 34007's trains. Not sure why it was (forgot to mention it earlier).

13. evilswans

evilswans Member

looking to head to this tomorrow, i have a few locations planned out, but having watched this video: Mid Hants Railway Autumn Gala 2011 part 3 - YouTube and i believe he does post on here, i was wondering if the two i have in mind are accessable to public, firstly the brit at around 4.20 and secondly the A4 6.50 and of the u boat at the end

any help would be very welcomed :)

thanks Matt

14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The second is Wanders Curve and there is no public access. I think the first could also be Wanders Curve but slightly further west.

15. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    [​IMG]

One from Friday evening, the M7 crossing Northside Lane at sunset.

16. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
  17. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    You've been cropped! I have another, wider shot with you and three others in it. Well, it had you and three others in it!

18. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
  19. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Was probably used to keep the service going....and rightly so....

20. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    It was with the West Country on the RAT, mostly because the only other steam engine ROpley side of the blockage was a low-water M7