If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Spring Steam Gala 2015: 13th - 15th February

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by green five, Oct 28, 2014.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Looking at the weather forecas for tomorrow and Sunday looks better than today. I went for two round trips today and I couldn't believe the amount of lineside clearance in the Alton area. There looks to be some new photo spots now available between Chawton roundabout and yew tree curve and I also noticed a few possible photo locations near the Courage brewery. All now possible because the Pway have cleared the lineside bank.

I'm just hoping the sun comes out tomorrow.

2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Are those views from outside the boundary fence, or for PTS-holders only?

3. 73129

A bit of both. But a ladder may be a good idea for out side the fence. But I will look a bit closer and report back on the out side of the fence situation.

4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Outside the fence presumably means on someone else's land?

Wenlock likes this.
  5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Had a good day today despite the appalling weather conditions which arrived with a vengeance in the afternoon.
    Trains were well loaded and the field at Ropley was well filled. Be careful tomorrow in the field; it was very slippery underfoot tonight when we left and some of the cars were having trouble.
    The loco's were also slipping a fair bit in the damp conditions. There was some superb driving of 45379 on the delayed 11.30 from Alton. She slipped several times in the cutting near the summit of the line but some excellent handling from the crew kept her going at walking pace. 70000 on the very delayed 15.35 from Alton also slipped a few times but this didn't hinder her progress with an awesome ascent of the bank. She sounds great and in very good health. Her whistle is also improved. Has she had a new one fitted?
    4464 sounded a bit offbeat but she was also performing well. 34007 now sounds very healthy after the attention she has received. Well done Ropley MPD for getting her back in time for the Gala. She was getting just as much attention as 4464 and 70000.
    Only bad bit of the day was the weather on the drive home. It went totally apesh*t and it was the most terrifying drive home from a MHR Gala I have ever had.
    Thanks to all involved for another great event.

6. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

I agree - from the front window, it sounded stunning! I have an audio track that I'm downloading from my camera now, hope to have it online soon...

That was just about my only good video from today. I had an absolute shocker of a day, and decided to call it quits on the video-front at about 1pm. The only other video I shot was 70000 up Medstead.

Two photos from me today - 70000 arriving into Medstead and a classic S&D shot with 45379, 34007 and 92212.

MHR Gala.179.jpg MHR Gala.180.jpg

James

7. jwr4472

jwr4472 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    those are some excellent photos there i hope the photos i take on sunday are 1/2 as good

8. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    The exit from the field was pretty much a quagmire when we left. Our driver slipped to a halt (yes, I ended up pushing) ;-)

9. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I hope he's not driving one the locos much as I'd love to video you pushing Britannia

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

11. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Very good day today but very quiet compared to previous galas. I easily found a window seat milepost side in every train. Managed a run with every engine, except 34007 on the freight. 850 retired to Ropley shed during the day and seen receiving attention. Got some nice shots in the showery conditions. For me 925 was star of the show again with a lovely climb out of Alton. Some very good operating with double token exchanges held the timetable together, more or less.

Don

12. 73129

I see 34007 Wadebridge ended up working a service train in the late afternoon. I take this was to get the timetable back on track. The sun came out in the morning and again for the last up service train with 70000. I did notice the park park at Ropley was well packed with both sides of the field being used. Great to see the chap with his gauge 1 model railway stand in Ropley viewing room.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  13. 73129

A few photo from today.

Attached Files:

14. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Nice Lee!

See you at some point tomorrow?......

15. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    I was up top when the sun came out for 70000's last run, I could see the glint from up there and wondered if anybody was there to phot it!
    Nice to see
    Lee- I did see you and Dave F up round Black Barn curve whilst I was waiting for a long shot across the old A31- unfortunately Wadebridge filled several fields with her exhaust and I didn't get the shot! I cropped you out of the 925 one! IMGP7175_edited.jpg IMGP7274_DxO_edited.jpg IMGP6892_edited.jpg IMGP7030_edited.jpg

16. 73129

Steve,

Some great photos. I take it was you at the Pway hut waiting for Wadebridge in the early afternoon. A shame the rain kept coming and going all afternoon. The weather looks a little better for tomorrow.

17. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Was a good gala and I really enjoyed myself :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423950193.849435.jpg

As much as I moaned about Wadebridge doing the freight runs on her she did look glorious.

The gala seemed to be quite quiet tho compared to previous galas but at the same time never have seen the Alfesford shop so busy. Hopefully that means everyone was riding trains and spending money all day.... I know they done well out of me.

18. 73129

Ropley car park looked to be full with cars parking on both sides of the field.

19. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    That was Mike Esau, Lee, I was with him for a bit then wandeed off. Later on I met "Steamage" up at Northside, in the field at the top of the hill, the rain spoiled a nice bit of train spotting.

20. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Had a great time, really enjoyed visiting the railway, it was superb. Thanks very much to Simon and LocoyardDave for showing Dad and I round, it made it much easier than trying to work out where things were. :) I fear our pictures may be quite similar, so I'll put mine up first, or at least some of the better ones. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It definitely wasn't as busy as I imagined it might be, but there were plenty of cars everywhere. Having said that, I didn't ride on the RAT, I suspect that was a lot more packed than other trains...

The loco works were very impressive, and the Bulleid coaches were looking good too (they'd look better in our workshops... :D) the viewing gallery are an excellent idea, something that would be great to have for our workshops, at least the C+W ones anyway. I believe there are plans... :rolleyes:

MikeParkin65 and siquelme like this.