If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Spring Steam Gala 2015: 13th - 15th February

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by green five, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's not how I'd describe it......... :eek:

Though given the predictions for this winters weather, wet seems to be the watch word, again!

Though, come Feb, that might not be the case, and an investment in several tons of road salt might be a good idea.......... as for the field....... :eek::eek::eek: and Hurricane, you are spoilt... give a care for those who are up most of the night, so as you can go showboat through out the day.......... ;)

Hurricane likes this.
  2. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Parking is in a field at Galas. I am lucky enough to have a Land Rover, but I think the majority will find it a tad tricky.

The A31 has been impassable or nearly impassable through Ropley on a number of occasions around Jan / Feb time. The hill down from Four Marks can be very dangerous and difficult. It is perfectly possible to be as cut off as Sheffield Park. Snow would be a problem.

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

It doesn't take that much snow to close the main road at Fourmarks. Then there's the issue of parking at Ropley. Parking in a field on a slope with snow on the ground is going to led to a few bumps. Then there's the issue of getting loco crews up to Ropley station at five o'clock in the morning. It's all a recipe for disarter .

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

and parking in the field...especially if the cars all slide down hill during the day.:eek:

5. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Try getting up the hill from the Farnham side!

Just start praying to weather gods for some clement weather..........

6. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Just read that after 2807's huge success story the NYMR, the MHR have been talking too them. Probably for next year's autumn gala, but you never know, could be sooner. However, I can't say it would persuade me to go any more, not exactly a "rare cop" for me!

7. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I don't think Sheffield Park is an especial problem for access in snow (Horsted Keynes is much more difficult).

The difficulty is more around things like keeping point work unfrozen etc., and whether you can therefore safely run the advertised service. Plus at some point you have to recognise a duty of care to both your staff and visitors that general travelling conditions might make it inadvisable to travel at all, for which you probably need to give ample warning, i.e. make a decision the day before. By which time (with a gala, or e.g. a Santa service) you have probably incurred all the expenditure of the event, but will either not receive, or have to refund, all of the income.

Tom

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Wasn't there a problem with Icicles in a tunnel a few years back which necessitated changing the schedule ?
    I know 45305 was supposed to operate a mainline railtour one December a years back, but was frozen solid... so it's place was taken by 35028 which was working a VSOE the day earlier (and obviously benefitted from a nice warm shed).

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Yes, quite a regular problem, but this have now been dealt. either late last year or early this year and should no longer occur.

Edit Further info : - "

To ensure we can continue to run steam trains through the tunnel to East Grinstead in cold weather, in 2013 the Bluebell Railway fitted a lining to the inside of sections of Sharpthorne Tunnel, to prevent the build up of ice on the railhead, and icicles forming from the tunnel roof. This video tells the story of the work, explaining what has been done and how. Our thanks to Alex Mansfield and David Allen for shooting and producing the video."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Just as long as you don't say it's a Frozen gala...

you'll have my daughter and every girl for 100 miles round turning up in a blue dress singing "let it go".
    (If you don't know what I mean, you don't have a daughter or granddaughter !).

21B, sweetktg and Jamessquared like this.
  12. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Not to mention a visit from Disney's lawyers!

13. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Dont worry the Disney lawyers will just "let it go"

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The cold doesn't bother me anyway.

15. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Admins. Could we change the thread title to reflect that the Gala is now 13-15 Feb, to stop casual readers getting confused.

16. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Title now changed.

siquelme and LC2 like this.
  17. spanner

spanner New Member

This was the scene on 6th April in 2008 when The Mid-Hants coped with a Thomas event.

Attached Files:

73129 likes this.
  18. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Snow would be bad for attendance but does look fun and would make for some great photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Snow is definitely a double edged sword, on the one hand it looks great, but on the other is terribly disruptive. Ironically the GWSR's santa specials a few years ago had to be cancelled because of snow. Well, with the line up for SSS4 announced, it looks more likely I'll be going to the MHR gala, 4270 obviously doesn't excite me, Wells is the only one that particularly interests me, plus the fact I've visited Llangollen and not the MHR, I just need to convince my Dad that it will be worth the slightly longer journey!

Hurricane likes this.
  20. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Nice photo.

From memory the car park at Ropley was abandon and customers were sent to all corner of the railway for parking.

At the end of the day we will just have to make the best of it with the weather. I'll be there to support the gala/railway.