If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants and lovely winter light!

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by PhotoMatt, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well , i dont know what damage if any it does to the springs of the saftey valve but after 9 (?) years of service since the last major boilor overhaul , the 5 still blows off dead on the red line .....

Not prasing the 5 here but i do think it shows that with the right mantinace , even after the many times it has blowen off , it still blows off on the red line , no more , no less....

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Apologies for posting misinformation. Thanks for the correction. (I wasn't at the Branch line weekend either)

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Agreed it was the Branch Line weekend incident that caused the problems but the subsequent diesel gala also saw some lunatic behaviour by linesiders. At least one clip of a guy jumping out of the way of a 47 (I think) at the last second made it onto the internet. Sadly idiots are to be found on the lineside no matter what the motive power.

4. David

David Member

water meter reader
    That's right Ian, I remember watching the video clip of that prat jumping out of the way of the diesel, it may have been on the Mid-Hants own website but not 100% sure of that. What I do disagree with is the so-called "lineside ban" the Mid-Hants has taken. As I see it everyone is banned from the lineside unless your well known elite photters who regularly get pics in magazines or books and have good relations with the powers that be on the railway. That's nothing against these photters, good for them and they have the opportunity to get cracking shots especially at Chawton Woods. Also has the "lineside ban" really stopped any photters going on the lineside, quite clearly not judging from recent galas. Basically all I'm saying is if there is a valid "lineside ban" then fine but that should apply to absolutely everyone including the elite, if not then let photters have the opportunity to apply for a lineside pass. Afterall are we not living in a country of supposed "equality" for everyone, some could say this is being discriminate to the ordinary photter.

5. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    The video was indeed on the MHR website, it would be enough to scare any railway into reconsidering it's position on permits.

To clarify my own situation with regards to a MHR lineside permit. I have a permit on the basis that I contribute heavily to both the website and the MH News. A small number of permits are issued to people in a similair position.

The best way to go lineside is on a charter (apologies for the plug!).

6. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    No , it hasnt stopped them going lineside , but thats for one good reason . Alot of them took the day of from working in the yard , boilor department , station staff what ever . to see thier work in action .

I was at the last steam gala on the MHR all 3 days . the first day i walked from Ropley to Alton and i think i didnt reconise maybe 2 or 3 people out of the 20 or so i came acorss and on the second day i done Medstead - Alton - Medstead - Ropley and again , i only came across maybe 1 person out of 10 odd that i didnt reconise .

You can jump to conclusions if you must , but alot of them people lineside had earnt the right to be thier . you on the other hand , seem to feel that making un factual comments will get you lineside.

7. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

The MHR is a private organisation - it is free to set whatever restrictions it wants.

8. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

The only people that can go line side are full & part time staff, volunteers and retained photographs. But everyone must have a valid PTS ticket with them.

9. David

David Member

water meter reader
    The last statement you've made is why I think the so called "photographic lineside ban" is total folly. You say "people lineside had earnt the right to be their". Sorry but a lineside ban is a ban and should apply to absolutely everyone, no exceptions whether their volunteers, elite photters or ordinary photters or the ban doesn't stand-up for any credibility. No I don't feel my comments whether factual or un-factual will get me on the lineside, this is just how I personally feel about this policy that for me doesn't hold much credibilty for the reasons I gave in my previous comment on this subject. I would be happy to pay £10-20 for a day or yearly lineside pass as I do at the Bluebell and I'm sure many other photters would do as well that I've talked to about this subject when on the lineside at gala events. At the end of the day I like many others enjoy lineside photting whether it be at the Mid-Hants, Bluebell etc. and I think it's such a shame the powers that be at the Mid-Hants have implemented a ban that 1:seems only to apply if ur not elite photters who perhaps have "connections" with the Board & get photos published in the media. And 2:very few photters don't obey it anyway. Finally this is just my opinion on the matter whether it be correct or incorrect it's open for debate but I'm sure come the Spring Steam Gala I like many others, who would be prepared to pay for a pass, will be on the lineside anyway ban or no ban and that's why I think the Mid-Hants have got it wrong on their so called "lineside ban"

10. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Knowingly or not, you've just stated your intention to break the law.
    The MHR is private land and whether you like it or not, you cannot just walk onto their land (or farmers land) to take photos without permission. It's called trespass.

Keith

11. chessie

chessie Member

Thanks for the heads up. If I'm rostered to drive at the Spring Gala I'll make sure I have my hi vis and two fingers ready. As a driver on the MHR I would say that it's precisely because of idiots like you who think that they can go where they like irrespective of any concerns about safety, other people's welfare or property, that's why there is a lineside photography ban on the MHR. And, as a driver it makes my job so much safer and less stressful not to have knobs perched up embankments where if they slip they can only go under, stood in the four foot as I'm approaching them, not acknowledging my whistles, yep I've had them all matey. And unfortunately, having been involved with a fatality on the line, I'm not over keen to repeat the experience.

And by the way, read the posts. People who have an MHR pts cert are allowed trackside.

12. 73129

I work line side at the MHR and if I see anyone that has NOT got a valid PTS ticket I ask them to leave the line side. Only last weekend I had to ask someone to leave the line side because he had no hi viz on and he was only feet away from the running line on top of a bridge what sort of photo are you going to get from stable lane bridge and only one or two feet away from the running line. Why do some people think they have the right to walk about the railway at will with out thinking about their safety and others safety? If someone gets run down at a gala that’s the end of the gala for the rest of that day or any other day go to that.

13. NAL

NAL New Member

Just a general question, but why do people feel they have the right to go trackside on a heritage railway? Would you go ahead and do it at will on the national network?

14. 73129

Maybe its about time a preserved railway prosecuted someone for trespassing (going line side).

15. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is Heritage Railway trespass prosecutable? Primary legislation exists for the big railway, so no problem there. Trespass on farm land is 'civil trespass' and not prosecutable (unless you damage property on the land).The owner or occupier of that land has the right to remove trespassers and may use reasonable force to do so.

16. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Surely there's a massive safety issue here - if the railway believes it's trains are being put at risk (strangers without PTS right beside the running lines), then they should either be able to use reasonable force to remove the trespasser(s) or have the option of calling the police to do it for them. I would've thought the principal was the same regardless of whether it's the big railway or a heritage operation - hundreds of passengers lives could be at risk. As Chessie has already pointed out, the driver has enough to worry about instead of looking out for idiots!

Keith

17. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Thanks for your "kind" words chessie I'm sure if I c u give me a 2 finger salute I will simply smile and wave one back to you. \:D/ But seriously I have seen real idiots at previous Mid-Hants galas who have been on the lineside and not even wearing an orange hi-viz vest, now that is stupidity. Also I make sure when I'm on the lineside I use the same instructions as I'm told from the Bluebell's rules, wear orange hi-viz vest, acknoweldge an oncoming train whistle with a arm wave and not be within 2 metres of the track so i'm well aware of safety welfare so I refuse to accept being labelled as an idiot as you described. I'm sorry you were involved in a fatality on the line I can't imagine what you must have gone through with that, but all I'm saying is allow photters to take MHR pts cert for lineside photography, we have a passion for steam just like everyone else has. In terms of trespassing I know of at least one location between Ropley and Medsted along the lineside where a small stretch of verge is designated a public fp/cattle crossing with no fence just a single bar gate, is always popular with the photters and from what I understand the powers that be can't stop anyone for photting there.

18. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    David Haggar , should i see you lineside , i will be more then happy to call the police ....tresspassing is tresspassing weather its at london victoria or a mile outside ropley .

Also , that crossing as far as im aware ( and im more then happy to be corrected) is'nt showen as a public foot crossing on an OS map.

19. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Sorry but I don't think so, as I say I know of at least one place on the lineside that is designated public fp/cattle crossing so you can't call that tresspassing can you matey boy and the police being the police might end up arresting you for wasting police time [-X

PS
    Happy New Year

20. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    If it is the one to the west of Northside Lane, then it is a green dashed line on the 1:25000 OS Map and is therefore a Public Right of Way. There it is perfectly legal to remain on the other side of the fence (however close that gets to the rails).

Regards,

Dan