If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Preservation Society Gifted LBSCR Coaches

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by siquelme, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I forgot the IOWSR is air brake only.

2. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello,
    My last comments on some of the posts above:
    No where did I mention 'a piece of paper'.

Regarding using equipment ie steam or diesel loco,
    Did you just climb on board and hoped you pulled/pushed the right levers?
    Or were you given some form of instruction?
    Were you taught to read or write or did you just know how to?
    I could go one ,however I will , as stated , make this my last comment on this post.

Nick

paulhitch likes this.
  3. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    Since you ask, in the case of the diesel, I did exactly as you describe! Nearly demolished a shed, though:oops:! In the others, I probably had some instruction, though it must have been pretty basic- certainly never passed any test or exam (that applies to the reading & writing too, but you'd probably guessed that!) Anyway, it's all so long ago that I really can't remember!

4. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have been employed doing woodwork for 14 years now, I did a week or two of training while at university, and picked up some skills from my dad and my father in law. I do not have a single piece of paper saying I have a formal woodworking qualification. I have ordered and specified all the equipment in my workshop.

During my lunch break today I was working on a couple of replacement drop lights for a railway carriage while generally musing about this topic. I had spent a large portion of Saturday creating a complicated profile on the table saw (which I am rather pleased with) but clearly unqualified to do due to a lack of paper, today I was chiselling out the recess for the straps, a job an unqualified volunteer would probably be allowed to do without any paperwork, just as this thought occurred to me I promptly stabbed myself in the side of my finger with the sharp end...

No real point to this, just thought it would amuse you all!!!

martin1656, gwalkeriow and flaman like this.
  5. cav1975

cav1975 Member

Don't forget that the LBSCR was air brake only too!

6. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    How true is that, but now lets say for instance you were doing this, you would have to put it in the accident book, that would go down as a statistic to many cases of injury at work, etc,the railways insurers deem that the risk has gone up. and increase the premium to the railway to prevent any future costs the railway ask how do we get a better price from the insureres, they say, your staff have to have to have recognised training, word comes down ,only employed and trained people to operate X&Y, its got nothing to do with your ability, only the removal of risk, when it becomes a cost.

7. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    One option would be to duel brake them, but how often would you want, or need to use air brakes,? the bluebell's 4 wheelers are vacuum braked, the only time you would want to have air brakes would be if they were to be loaned to an air brake only line, there is only one, and there would be no need that i can see for the IOWSR, to hire in 3 brighton 4 wheelers when they have their own vehicles .