If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NightRail, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

The drivers commented yesterday that it was one of the easiest of all heritage lines to access and unload at, the only issue being if someone parks on the double yellow lines on the corner of Station Road.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

2. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If my memory serves me correctly, the current steam fleet were:
    Facing Town - 3
    Facing Country - 2
    So it makes sense for 53808 to face Country from a balance perspective.

3. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Doesn't matter to me what way the engine faces, as long as she goes and can maintain steam on the 1 in 60

Shaggy, MattA and John Petley like this.
  4. martin1656

she's left hand drive, same as most Southern and LMS engines, So most firemen who are used to the S15, Schools etc should cope ok, As like all new engines it will take a couple of trips to get used to it, wish I was still on the footplate, at Ropley, looks to be an interesting engine to fire,

nine elms fan, Swan Age and Greenway like this.
  5. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Yes a good summary, a Manor/Hall is more forgiving firing wise, 88 does have a reputation as being a ‘tough’ engine to fire but I was taught by experts on the WSR and never struggled with it or 89 (which is more original and a bit tougher to fire than 88 because of the MD modifications).

1. Don’t turn your back on it and look out over the side watching the scenery go by, if the pressure gauge is rising slowly and you are controlling pressure with injector and flap for some top air you are in a good place, if its holding steady get ready to fire/fire it some more, if the gauge is dropping and you have the injector on you need to act now, if the gauge is dropping and you haven’t got the injector on you are in trouble.

2. Keep the brick arch red hot always, never let it cool down standing waiting to go it takes a long time to get heat into it and if you need steam and its cold it will bite you. Fire down the sides with a thin centre and some blower on to keep the arch hot when it’s not working.

3. Fire down the front on the go as well as the rest of the box, especially if you need it to steam quickly, it’s a long way to the front so there is a knack, look for black smoke from the chimney to know you filled a hole and then fire into the same place again.

4. The fireman’s side injector is smaller than standard, MD fitted this years ago as it allows you to keep the injector on when climbing the hills without knocking the pressure back. The driver’s side one is original and puts water in fast but pressure will suffer.

5. It can prime when it’s near wash out, watch the water level.

6. I’ve had some good drivers on it with me firing, as all will know it was designed to slog up hills all day long, if the driver gets the cut off /regulator right on a climb you can feel it ‘getting into a grove’ and you can easily fire and keep it on the mark with no problems. My experience is it doesn’t like short cut offs and responds to some ‘chuff’ but others may disagree.

7. The driver can if sat on the seat open the doors from seated between shovels when its working hard, that makes the fireman’s job a lot easier.

8. I’ve seen other fireman struggle with it but it still pulls down at 120psi. However on the WSR many have done many turns with 7/8 coaches and it’s not dropped below 180 at any stage (blows off at 190), and I’ve had 89 blow off halfway up Crowcombe bank as the Driver eased the regulator from fully open and a long cut off (8 Coaches) to stop at Stogumber, I wasn’t quick enough to open the doors and put the injector on fully which was trimmed back during the climb, if I had of done I could have just kept it from lifting its safety valves.

9. It’s also pulled 10 coach + class 47 excursions over the WSR without coming to grief, just more firing and more injectors, get it right and it will do most things.

It’s a great engine and very rewarding, a bit of practice and its fine. I’m sure some WSR Firemen with much more experience than me will give you loads of tips and advice, it’s a lovely thing to work on, enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Shaggy, Andy2857, Squiffy and 14 others like this.
  6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Hmm, slow injector, keep it hot, keep an eagle eye on the pressure - where have I heard that before? Point 1 sounds pretty well identical to our Chatham locos, which some people seem to struggle with - the key as you say is to be very alert to what the pressure gauge is telling you.

I think it will be interesting on the MHR to see how 53808 compares with the Urie S15, being locos of somewhat similar vintage and size but different design conceptions.

Tom

7. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    One last shot, of 53808 being winched off the low loader?
    Okay, if you insist...
    [​IMG]
    S&DJR 7F 53808
    by Tim White, on Flickr

jnc, Bluenosejohn and nine elms fan like this.
  8. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    One advantage of working in the office Tim!

9. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    At least the low loader didn't give up the ghost half way round the corner, as happened a few years go!

10. 21B

Different operator

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And that post from @Andy Norman tells you why Nat Pres is the best source of expert information around. You name it, someone with the knowledge will share it - professionals and amateurs alike.

It helps you understand why people like this get mightily frustrated when those above them, running the railway, get it horribly wrong.

12. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    Thank goodness. The guys who load and unload those loaders are real professionals. I watched with awe a few years back when they turned 92212 in the car park- on, turn, off -in about 60 mins if I recall

jnc and MattA like this.
  13. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

So is 53808 making its debut at the Mid Hants this weekend or do we have to wait a while longer?

14. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Can they come back and turn the 7F to face the "right" way please? :)

steamvideosnet likes this.
  15. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

A while longer.

16. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that picture. Also shows a couple of contrasting features of this class - very narrow cab and very wide cylinders.

17. 21B

There is no immediate hurry. The loco will be on display this weekend at Ropley though.

nine elms fan likes this.
  18. martin1656

I would imagine the loco will have to have an exam and steam test before it enters service, and a couple of runs down the line, for clearances etc, first light engine then with a rake of coaches to ensure it is ok, only then can crew training start .

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I can't comment on 53808 but I do have a good deal of experience with 53809. If the two are anything like similar, crews brought up on a diet of S15's and Bulleids will have a rude awakening. The S&D 2-8-0's were never the best of steamers, like most Midland boilers, and you had to have the fire just right to keep the pressure at a reasonable level. They certainly don't like big back ends and thick fires. With 53809 on the NYMR, you knew that you would get there but it was a case of starting with a full pot and full pressure and watching both slowly decrease the further up the hill you went.

20. 21B

The Urie S15 is arguably more sensitive than the Maunsel version especially with the lower pressure boiler. 850 was an acquired knack too. The 7Fs have performed well here in the past, but I am sure you're right that as with any new type there will be some learning required.